They Lie!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

They Lie!

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
scantrontb

Re: They Lie!

Post by scantrontb »

But... But!... if you DON"T register, you'll be SANS-Serif!!! Why would they lie about that?...

OH!, wait... you were talking about them lying about how LONG it would take to register via the phone... yeah, that's the same as the advertising for FireFox and Internet-Exploder saying the you "can bookmark your favorite websites in ONE CLICK"... HA!, I've never been able to do it in LESS THAN 3 clicks, so i'd LOVE to see that one!
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Back when Earthlink was still an independent ISP based here in Atlanta, they boasted that the average time to speak to tech support was under two minutes; they had billboards that said "Their on-hold music is better. It has to be."

A big-time NY SF editor once said something along the lines of "There is a word for people who put you on hold for long periods of time with bad music playing, and periodically play messages about how important your call is to them. That word is 'liar'."
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Does Ctrl-D count as one click or two?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:But... But!... if you DON"T register, you'll be SANS-Serif!!! Why would they lie about that?...
They're just being polite. "A gentleman is never unintentionally offontsive."
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Atomic wrote:Does Ctrl-D count as one click or two?
huh... never knew that keyboard shortcut... however, since *technically* that IS only one click of the *MOUSE* so their claims are accurate and can't be sued for false advertising... However it's still misleading because you have to use your other hand to do one click on the Ctrl and another for the D...

to me though, that's even more of a hassle than just mousing over and clicking the "bookmarks" drop-down menu, clicking on the "bookmark this page", and if I Don't want to sort it into a sub-folder, just clicking *done* (3 clicks)... and if i DO want to sort it, then there is the additional clicks involved in that before finally hitting *done*... and that's all done with *just* the mouse, no need for your other hand at all... so it's a toss-up really...

one of the things that i wish somebody could/would figure out is a way to UPDATE the links that are saved in a given bookmark so i don't have to go in and update the daily link for sites such as this one, in that if i forget for a day or two, the comic has gone on, and I'm out of sync with it... you click the bookmark and it takes you to the day in question, you read all the newer comics, then, at the most current one, you hit "update link" or whatever, and it will replace the old bookmark with the newest link. that way you always have the newest page bookmarked... oh, well, guess i can't complain too much...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I use my pinky on "CTL" and my index finger on "D".

Of course, CTL-D only saves it in the default bookmark folder.

If you have your bookmarks in multiple folders, you still gotta hunt for the right folder.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

While I agree that we ought to avoid having things set up to be more complicated than they need to be, and I acknowledge that whether something is a hassle is relative based on the typical conditions of the time and place, I still find it amusing that these days having to hit two buttons on the computer is considered to be an annoying hassle. Imagine what web surfing would be like if we all still had to type in DOS commands for every action. Or if all communications were still carried by horse and boat. "Can't you move your horses any faster? I want to reply to that comment from last month on this forum!"
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Heh. I guess i need to hunt up the carrier pigeon story again.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Catawampus wrote:Imagine what web surfing would be like if we all still had to type in DOS commands for every action.
Try out the XKCD site with a command line interface.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Fairportfan wrote:Heh. I guess i need to hunt up the carrier pigeon story again.
is that the one about carrier pigeon IP packets? if so, that was a really fun read.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dat da one.
=====================
=====================
mike weber