About That 2014-03-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: About That 2014-03-03

Post by zachariah »

Very interesting event with lots of implications.

1. Bia's plot is more than just playing games with people. She is actually taking part in creating the players and pieces in the game. Having a genetic Titan connection has to have some import for what is being planned. We know she is related directly to Shelly as her mother.

2. Bia is Great Grandmother to Tina's human body, not to Tina herself. The soul of Tina is elsewhere and not part of her. So while there is a relationship to the physical body there is none to the spirts within.

3. The oldest being there is the collections of demons inside Tina as they are timeless. After that a good bet is either Bia or Phix. Shelly is actually older the Connie.

4. This age change has occurred since Bia met Shelly in the library as Bia was fully adult at that time. Her poppa was not pleased with what she has been doing. The library meeting is probably what triggered the punishment.

5. It is possible she is related to others in the cast but not many more. But Paul has lots of twists and turn left to surprise with so who knows.

6. Given what she is doing it makes you wonder what the final objective is. While it is to fix things we don't actually what it is she is trying to fix and how she wants to fix it.

7. While there will be a lot of yelling, shouting, and nasty words I doubt there will be any physical demonstrations against Bia. But at this point only Phix and Bud have strong bad feelings against her.

Oh what an interesting Monday. We all should thank Paul for not putting this one on a Friday. This easily qualifies as a cliff hanger and if it was used that way just think of how crazy we would have been by Monday.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

zachariah wrote:4. This age change has occurred since Bia met Shelly in the library as Bia was fully adult at that time. Her poppa was not pleased with what she has been doing. The library meeting is probably what triggered the punishment.
The age change has occurred since "this morning", actually. Bia was drawn well endowed, and Tina described her as tall.
zachariah wrote:5. It is possible she is related to others in the cast but not many more. But Paul has lots of twists and turn left to surprise with so who knows.
Eh, she has had plenty of time. Could be any or all currently living human beings, and quite a few non-humans too.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

My2Cents wrote: [*] ‘I can only leave a location after receiving permission from a perceived adult.” -- Key word is ‘perceived’, which probably means in Bia’s perception. Frankly, she doesn’t perceive any one of them, except maybe Phix, as an adult, so she could be stuck there a while. And it’s a location not just U296. Specify a destination as part of the permission and she may have no choice except to comply.[/list]
I suspect that the gang will be stuck with Bia for a while (good thing they all have multi-century lifespans now), and she may need a mentor and disciplinarian as well -- i.e. a parent, and another adoption. Which will it be Monica (why me?), Shelly (to many issues), or Tina? This is going to be interesting.
It's possible a 'location' could be based on something other than something stationary.

I wonder just whom on the island young Bia has to stay within X distance of? (and stay with)

Comedic effect would suggest Bud :mrgreen:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

zachariah wrote:2. Bia is Great Grandmother to Tina's human body, not to Tina herself. The soul of Tina is elsewhere and not part of her. So while there is a relationship to the physical body there is none to the spirts within.
I believe Shelly's Connie is composed partly of the original Tina's soul? But still, under 'laws and regulations of immortals and such', if such a thing exists, maybe regardless of Tina1.0's death and whomever is 'driving' Tina2.0, Bia is still considered to be related?
zachariah wrote:3. The oldest being there is the collections of demons inside Tina as they are timeless. After that a good bet is either Bia or Phix. Shelly is actually older the Connie.
Technically yes ..... But!

Tina1.0 Demons had their memories wipe, they (apparently) remember NOTHING of their previous existence. It appears from some comments earlier in the storyline (during the Calendar arc, that to a demon being able to forget may be as good as starting a new existence. (and maybe, from a Demon's perspective, as much a punishment as being thrown into a briar patch?)

What I'm trying to suggest is thatTina2.0's Demons may be the youngest entities at the beach party.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

jwhouk wrote:I'm getting the feeling that Tina 1.0 was not a very nice woman. Imagine Shelly early on without any sensitivity.
I don't know - her life pre-death is still mostly a mystery to us?

But I'm getting the feeling that the fact that Tina1.0 Demons chased a young Monica in front of a bus, resulting in Tina1.0's death is going to relevant and important, but I don't know how. :(

Demons aren't supposed to be able to influence anyone other than their own host, but Tina1.0's did. Is that because of Monica being the Demon Sheppard, or another reason? Did Tina1.0 allow them some how?

Tina2.0's has said that good/evil is a human element, not a demon one - was chasing Monica in front of a bus a evil (or good) act? Were Tina1.0 demons helping set things in motion to help destroy the Calendar Machine. If so, was Tina1.0'd death, and the creation of Connie also part of the plan?

I'm wondering if Tina1.0 was in fact a part of the plan and knowingly sacrificed her life to help?

or was she unknowing?

Was Bia was helping Jin to destroy the Calendar Machine, and Jin was helping Bia with her ...... project? That's a callus word, but I can't think of a better one :|

Maybe the 'prophesy' couldn't be completed while the Calendar Machine existed?
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

ps: The similarity of Bia's speach to the way Castela and Atsali have spoken in the past ('wall of text/revelations) suggests this is a 'child' Bia, not Bia pretending to be a child, yes?

Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Grantwhy wrote:ps: The similarity of Bia's speach to the way Castela and Atsali have spoken in the past ('wall of text/revelations) suggests this is a 'child' Bia, not Bia pretending to be a child, yes?

Yes. =)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Contrast: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/the-secret/

Curious that everyone should assume Bia isn't lying even now to Tina; maybe that's too bad an idea even for her.

Clever punishment on Pallas' part: If Bia ran to mommy Styx to get him to stop, he'd win the argument anyway!
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

There may be one good thing about Bia's punishment... I really don't see any of the regular cast getting violent with a child, ancient Titan or no. Whereas showing up as an adult may have started things off with someone throwing a punch.

As for her motives, I'll continue to reserve judgement until I know more about that Prophecy.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

jwhouk wrote:CALLED IT.
ditto :)

pps: the page where a young Bia (younger than this Bia?) was told of the prophecy

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/talking-with-sibyl/

I think trying to bring that prophecy to fulfilment may be the reason of much of Bia's scheming/planning.

The prophecy
"The land of the crescent will turn to glass, but you [Bia] will have a descendent who will set the powers right"
And the link to the page where Bia is the lone survivor(?) of the attack(?) by the Gollem Girls(?)
starts HERE: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/lost-girl/

-----

:shock:
Wapsi wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:ps: The similarity of Bia's speach to the way Castela and Atsali have spoken in the past ('wall of text/revelations) suggests this is a 'child' Bia, not Bia pretending to be a child, yes?
Yes. =)
Trust me on this, the fact that I hear that "Yes" said in the voice of Ambassador Kosh is a good thing :geek:
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

From the closing scene of The Walking Dead last night:

our mother has been absent
ever since we founded Rome
but there's gonna be a party
when the wolf comes home

--The Mountain Goats, Up the Wolves
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
eee

Post by eee »

OK, THIS is another unexpected plot twist. :shock:
Wapsi wrote:

Yes. =)
Oh. I was thinking, given how sneaky Bia has shown to be in the past, she might have changed her form to look like a child to disarm everyone's immediate feelings of anger towards her. Rage and violence towards a child being something of a no-no. And that would make it easier for her to infiltrate the group. But evidently not.

If Bud - who seems to to have a LOT of rage at Bia - nevertheless picks her up and hits her hard enough to put her in orbit... well, I doubt even a Golem can hurt a Titan, but would that be permission for her to leave?

I wonder if she's lying and is actually Tina's mother. She did the ''I'm not your mother, but rather an ancestor' thing with Shelly to try to avoid problems.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Grantwhy wrote:But I'm getting the feeling that the fact that Tina1.0 Demons chased a young Monica in front of a bus, resulting in Tina1.0's death is going to relevant and important, but I don't know how. :(
Agreed. I have a feeling that "Bia" might be the answer to the big open question that Connie asked.
Demons aren't supposed to be able to influence anyone other than their own host, but Tina1.0's did. Is that because of Monica being the Demon Sheppard, or another reason? Did Tina1.0 allow them some how?
Demons aren't allowed to influence anyone other than their host... that's the law that the sphinxes decreed, and enforce.

Someone or something persuaded Tina's demons to break that law... and the demons were punished for doing so. The open questions are, who did the persuading, and how was it persuasive? ("Gain a lifespan, and protection from the sphinxes" may be the "how").
Maybe the 'prophesy' couldn't be completed while the Calendar Machine existed?
Good point! It'd be hard to breed an effective descendent to fix things up, if the timeline keeps being reset before your pot o' plot comes to a rolling boil.

If this is the motivation, then there must be some reason why Bia did not (could not?) simply destroy the CM herself.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Grantwhy wrote:
jwhouk wrote:CALLED IT.
ditto :)

pps: the page where a young Bia (younger than this Bia?) was told of the prophecy

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/talking-with-sibyl/

I think trying to bring that prophecy to fulfilment may be the reason of much of Bia's scheming/planning.

The prophecy
"The land of the crescent will turn to glass, but you [Bia] will have a descendent who will set the powers right"
And the link to the page where Bia is the lone survivor(?) of the attack(?) by the Gollem Girls(?)
starts HERE: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/lost-girl/
There's either more to it than that, or there's more than one prophecy. Where do the five winged beings come in?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Julie

Post by Julie »

zachariah wrote:2. Bia is Great Grandmother to Tina's human body, not to Tina herself. The soul of Tina is elsewhere and not part of her. So while there is a relationship to the physical body there is none to the spirts within.
Thank you for pointing this out so I didn't have to. :) It was bothering me that everyone was discussing the relationship without taking into account that the beings who are conscious inside of Tina's body aren't actually the person who is of Bia's bloodline. It may mean nothing, but I feel like it's still worthwhile to acknowledge.
eee wrote:OK, THIS is another unexpected plot twist. :shock:
Wapsi wrote:

Yes. =)
Oh. I was thinking, given how sneaky Bia has shown to be in the past, she might have changed her form to look like a child to disarm everyone's immediate feelings of anger towards her. Rage and violence towards a child being something of a no-no. And that would make it easier for her to infiltrate the group. But evidently not.

If Bud - who seems to to have a LOT of rage at Bia - nevertheless picks her up and hits her hard enough to put her in orbit... well, I doubt even a Golem can hurt a Titan, but would that be permission for her to leave?

I wonder if she's lying and is actually Tina's mother. She did the ''I'm not your mother, but rather an ancestor' thing with Shelly to try to avoid problems.
I'd wager that she's less likely to be lying in this case. Kids with logorrhea (if that's how it's spelled) seem to spit out truth simply because they're talking at such a pace that they don't have enough time to tell themselves to construct a lie.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Fairportfan wrote:From WIkipedia:
Pallas (Πάλλας) is a Titan, killed by Athena. . .
Apparently he got better afterward.
My2Cents wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Connie is among the oldest people there. . .
Phyx is way older, she predates the original time loop.
Connie and Tina could be considered the oldest there, depending on how you define "age". They're both made up of demons, who even Phix has said are incredibly old (as in trillions of years). So, both Connie and Tina could be said to have continuously been alive for that long.

On the other hand, they can both also be said to be among the youngest people in the group. Tina has no memories from before the bus accident and has had to adapt into something atypical of demons, while the demons that make up Connie were reshaped and added to after Shelly temporarily died. Both can claim to be "born again" in a much more literal sense than most Christians can do.

So apparently Phix is much older and much younger than either Tina or Connie.
KnightDelight wrote:Good night! She is a busy little procreator. Have to wonder how many other characters in the group are descended from her in one way or another.
If she got started early enough, quite possibly every one of the human-based individuals on Earth. A mitochondrial Eve who kept up with the task for thousands of extra years.
Wyvern wrote:And maybe someone can finally ask him the never answered question: "So, Mr. Wahnee...what's your first name, anyway?"
"Mister".
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Apparently the gordian knot was created when someone actually mapped the Wapsiverse family tree. . .

Where is Alexander when you need him?
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

illiad wrote:Truth is, even RL history is meddled with... modified to make heroes.. name any book, (even the *oldest* one... :/ ) and there will be bad translations, bad interpretations, and changes to match the mood of the period!!!! :x

there is a wartime story of a military hero, that died in the arms of a woman.. it was hushed up, and his body taken to the battlefield, so they could say he 'died gloriously in battle' - at least it improved morale of the troops...
And then, there's Catherine the Great's horse....

A French horse, it seems!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Yeezus.

Just...Yeezus.

So how long do we think Bia will be banished to childhood, and what kind of monumental bucket list of good deeds must she complete before her father lifts the ban?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

txmystic wrote:So how long do we think Bia will be banished to childhood, and what kind of monumental bucket list of good deeds must she complete before her father lifts the ban?
More of an oceanic basin list than a bucket list, I suppose.