What About Me 2014-02-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: What About Me 2014-02-28

Post by Fairportfan »

BTW - when did Tina take off her shirt?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Catawampus wrote:What do Americans consider to be a "Southern accent"? Tucson and San Diego and Miami are definitely south, but you never hear their residents being referred to as having a Southern accent (unless they moved there from Georgia or someplace). Texan accents seem to be set off in a category of their own, too.

For that matter, I wonder what sort of an accent Tina has, given that she's a collection of demons manipulating a body's lungs and larynx. I can imagine some paranormal sociolinguistics professor listening to her and declaring, "By Jove, is that a hint of south-eastern Demon Realm I hear in your voice?"
The southern drawl comes Georgia and Alabama mainly. It strong the further south you go until you hit Florida. Frorida has so many accents it is impossible to define one.
As you head west you get into Deep south until you get to the Mississippi. The strongest here is cajun but changes as you do north and hit Tennessee. Once across the drive you start getting into the western drawl of which Texan is the most well know. But this drawl, could be called cowboy, goes all the way north on the plains.
The west coast has no readily define accent sadly as it to has to many small one to ever become well named or know.

The smallest well know accent of course is Brooklyn. Youse Heer wat I(pause) saying! Soitently!
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Don't worry, Tina. I'll gladly hold your tentacle until the rest of the hen party restart Bud.
sheik

Post by sheik »

eee wrote:There there, Tina. They'll get to you. Especially now that you have said the magic word 'Bia'. They just have to sort things through, first. And get Bud's brain working again...

(I agree, Tina's been getting short shift here. There are plenty of mysteries about Tina 1.0 that nobody has dug into. Mainly because events in WS tend to be crisis driven, and there hasn't been a crisis involving Tina for a while. Now there is, and a potentially big one. I think we'll be finding out a lot about things pretty quick.)
That's short _shrift_, a reference to an abbreviated confessional.
Which in this case is quite apropos.
Neveko

Post by Neveko »

I totally get how Tina feels. When you're the one always doling out information, people start thinking that you never need anyone to talk to because clearly you're able to solve every other problem. Though, to be honest, I don't really know what anyone there can do short of dragging Tina to see Bia. Which, with Shelly saying Bia's her mom, I suppose it shouldn't be *that* hard for them to do that much.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Tina; "I wanna talk about ME!" :lol:
I think the Alan Parsons song Lets Talk About Me is more apropos to this one.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

sheik wrote:That's short _shrift_, a reference to an abbreviated confessional.
Which in this case is quite apropos.
Upon slight consideration I might suggest an alternative...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:The smallest well know accent of course is Brooklyn. Youse Heer wat I(pause) saying! Soitently!
Also heard (basically) in New Orleans - particularly the Nint' Wahd.

Related to Yat.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

zachariah, nice analysis of the Southern drawl. I've heard the Texas variant described as a "twang". Having grown up in Idaho and being in the radio biz when I moved to Texas, I have a fairly neutral accent, but I can drop into a twang when needed, y'all.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

txmystic wrote:
Julie wrote: Nor do I have an endearing Southern accent.
Say what? I thought that came natural to Texans...
Depends on where the said Texan was raised, from my observations. I have lived in the Houston area (with a few years in Hunstville, outside the Walls that is...) since 1973 and had opportunity to meet and get to know folks from the city and the edge of East Texas to central Texas. The accents are certainly different; city more laid back, somewhat slow (as in speed, not mind) and easy to understand with hints of SoCal at times (lived there too) and rural with the stereotypical mouth-full-of-marbles slow drawl to the nasaley whine. And DO NOT make disparaging remarks about the state to the natives, you WILL be asked to leave...

And I have relatives in Iowa, the accent to me is difficult to describe but I love the people enormously! Listen to the Music Man song "Iowa Stubborn" to get an idea of the way they can be. Also have relatives in Wisconsin, different again.

And to top it off, my city-raised with country relatives Native Texan daughter is engaged to a a young man that came to the USA from Russia at the age of 12, so he retained his accent. When they have kids, talk about the opportunity for some messed-up accents!

Uff da, y'all!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Let's see, there's Chicauga (sout' side), Dee-troit, Neu Jeu-sey, Up North Yankee, Deep woods Wisconsin/Michigan,Minnesotan (Ya sure), Central Illinois/Indiana/and points west, and western Pennsylvanian. That's the accents I can identify usually if they're pronounced distinctly, usually in the "r"s, "d"s, "e"s, and "u"s.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

And then there's my accent Not From Here. Everywhere I go as soon as I talk people say "You're Not From Here, are you?" Nobody ever has any trouble understanding me, until I start with the Patois we learned as Military Brats, a little French, a little Italian, a little German, a dash of Japanese and spice it up with Arabic and Spanish curse words.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

I know the feeling; I've got a friend who mixes Rhode Island and Hawaiian accents. She's perfectly understandable, but not quite like anyone else I've ever met.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Fairportfan wrote:BTW - when did Tina take off her shirt?
Before this picture. 8-) You're welcome. :twisted:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Assuming the thoom left her shirt intact (as yay! Tina is!), she probably had to take it off to shake the sand out.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Sidhekin wrote:Assuming the thoom left her shirt intact (as yay! Tina is!), she probably had to take it off to shake the sand out.
Thoom induced clothing removal? I knew drunk Bud likes to get naughty but that is pretty devious of her. ;)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:zachariah, nice analysis of the Southern drawl. I've heard the Texas variant described as a "twang". Having grown up in Idaho and being in the radio biz when I moved to Texas, I have a fairly neutral accent, but I can drop into a twang when needed, y'all.
There's West Texas - exemplar: Mike Nesmith.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Hansontoons wrote:
txmystic wrote:
Uff da, y'all!
This has to be a southern Swedish accent. Uff Da is the Swedish Oy Vey.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Oh fer criminy cripes sake.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Texas has four main accents.

East Texas, which is what you heard from the Sheriff of Marshall, Texas, during the Shuttle disaster recovery searches. He should NOT have been allowed near a microphone, to prove to everyone in the rest of the country that everyone in Texas sounds like an inbred moron. :) It's a slower drawl, and when they get irritated, it gets slower and deeper.

West Texas. This is more of a twang.

Houston. This is an amalgam of the East Texas and every carpetbagging northerner possible, mixed with a good leavening of Mexican and New Orleans.

Mexican - this is from San Antonio south, due to the enormous influx of illegals in the last 25 years.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.