One of my favorite things about Texas...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: One of my favorite things about Texas...

Post by DinkyInky »

Hansontoons wrote:I stay away from any place that advertises "steakburgers". Yankee infiltrators.
Steakburger

See also, chop steak served on a toasted bun.

Had one for the first time at the Texas Roadhouse flagship store back home in Indiana. The Roadhouse was started by a homesick Texan.
Until I visited Texas, it was the only place I could get Texan style cuisine.
Having taken holiday there several times, I can say that restaurant was fairly accurate to the sampling I got at the many, many restaurants I was dragged to.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

If you ever want good, old school greaseball burgers there is always Griff's. I had no idea they have so many locations until I looked just now. I'm guessing the one closest to me in Haltom City is one of the oldest. The dining area was an absolute dump for a long time but they spiffied things up not so long ago.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

If I'm gonna get authentic Texas food, I'm goin' to Kreuz's Market.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Hansontoons wrote:I stay away from any place that advertises "steakburgers". Yankee infiltrators. Had a 5 guys earlier this summer, burger not bad but the bun suffered major structural failure a couple bites in which earned them no points. And I won't say much about the fries, not to my liking at all. May give Smash place a try eventually. Fave burger for me would be from Willie's Ice House, then toss up between Sonic and Whataburger. A couple lifetimes ago there was a place called Spoons at I-10 and Gessner in Houston. Best burgers and chicken soft tacos ever. It's been gone for years.
Dang...I'm only a few blocks from I-10 and Gessner...
I've had three 5 Guys, and no bread issues for me. Fries were good, but nothing exceptional. Except for one time grabbing to-go they dumped an Imperial butt load into the bag. Not sure why, but I had Fries-O-Plenty...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:I stay away from any place that advertises "steakburgers". Yankee infiltrators. Had a 5 guys earlier this summer, burger not bad but the bun suffered major structural failure a couple bites in which earned them no points. And I won't say much about the fries, not to my liking at all. May give Smash place a try eventually. Fave burger for me would be from Willie's Ice House, then toss up between Sonic and Whataburger. A couple lifetimes ago there was a place called Spoons at I-10 and Gessner in Houston. Best burgers and chicken soft tacos ever. It's been gone for years.
I've had three 5 Guys, and no bread issues for me. Fries were good, but nothing exceptional. Except for one time grabbing to-go they dumped an Imperial butt load into the bag. Not sure why, but I had Fries-O-Plenty...
My son would love that happy mistake.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

The Dinkster wrote:My son would love that happy mistake.
You can never have too many fries...
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Jabberwonky wrote:
The fries-in-bag was for some reason a turn-off for me. Mass quantity of unappetizing grease.

That huge vacant lot on Northwest corner of the intersection used to be a shopping center and location of Spoons.

That area is my old stomping grounds, my folks still live out past West Belt. We moved to Houston in 1973, back when Hwy 6 was the edge of civilization.

Another favorite burger comes from Goode Co. A bit pricy but very tasty. I like the taqueria on Kirby for fajitas and breakfasts.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Hansontoons wrote:That area is my old stomping grounds, my folks still live out past West Belt. We moved to Houston in 1973, back when Hwy 6 was the edge of civilization.

Another favorite burger comes from Goode Co. A bit pricy but very tasty. I like the taqueria on Kirby for fajitas and breakfasts.
There's a Goode Co. bbq that has a few places around town. Is that them? And, I'm gonna scout Kirby for your taqueria...
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:That area is my old stomping grounds, my folks still live out past West Belt. We moved to Houston in 1973, back when Hwy 6 was the edge of civilization.

There's a Goode Co. bbq that has a few places around town. Is that them? And, I'm gonna scout Kirby for your taqueria...
That is they. Goode Co. taqueria is just a block south of 59 on Kirby. Couple of seafood places also. Ate at the one near Memorial City once, again a bit spendy. Was good though.

The BBQ is OK, sauce is different. But the restaurants are interesting because of all the "stuff" hanging on walls and in display cases.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Jabberwonky wrote:Never had an In 'n Out...they'd just opened one in Austin about the time I moved to Houston. I hear lots of good things about them, though.
There's one about two miles from my house, but I never go there. I hardly ever get fast food anyway, and most of the time it's Jack in the Box or Burger King because that's what people give me gift cards for. My Christmas present Jack's card lasted me until late August.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Never had an In 'n Out...they'd just opened one in Austin about the time I moved to Houston. I hear lots of good things about them, though.
There's one about two miles from my house, but I never go there. I hardly ever get fast food anyway, and most of the time it's Jack in the Box or Burger King because that's what people give me gift cards for. My Christmas present Jack's card lasted me until late August.
I'm definitely not an In 'n Out fan. I like their Animal Fries, but that's about it. Give me Whataburger or Burger Street any day.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."