What Did You Say 2014-02-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: What Did You Say 2014-02-24

Post by MerchManDan »

txmystic wrote:They're running fresh out of atolls
Soon, there'll be none left at-oll.

[drops Private Island Fund* into Pun Jar]

*All $4.28 of it.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think, from how Monica responded when Phix arrived, that she's letting the "big guns" handle this, and not getting in the way. She knows Phix, Shelly and company have "issues" with Bia (understatement, I know), and figures they wouldn't like Tina being used as a pawn.

I still say it'd be funny if Tina was a "second cousin" of Shelly (or Monica!) through Bia.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
sheik wrote:Bud blasted the sand away with great power (being a heavily-armed golem).
Hey! Bud's arms are slender and cute!
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:
Soon, there'll be none left at-oll.

[drops Private Island Fund* into Pun Jar]

*All $4.28 of it.
They could go hang out with Beanie and Cecil at the No Bikini Atoll...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
gharp

Post by gharp »

analyst wrote:That is now my go to swear phrase. "SON OF A THOOM!"
Would that make "Son of a thu'um" equivalent to swearing in dragon?

(I can't believe that joke is what made me finally create an account... apologies all, back to lurking, I'll toss a nickle in the pun jar on my way out just to be safe)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Welcome gharp, and Fairportfan -- that was the first time I've seen anything by Beanie and Cecil in maybe 30 years! Nostalgia Rush!!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:Welcome gharp, and Fairportfan -- that was the first time I've seen anything by Beanie and Cecil in maybe 30 years! Nostalgia Rush!!
There's a bunch of it on YouTube, and it might even be official.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

bdgoodfriend wrote:This is why we can't have nice things! 8-)
Because they don't have any dogs to find them by smell? Perhaps they need to send for Dietzel.
Julie wrote:I think that people are so much better off not trying to force prophecies or whatever and let free will take its course.
Assuming that free will is an option in a universe where prophecy is possible.
KnightDelight wrote:And another Bermuda Triangle legend is born.
Or one of the other eleven triangles, at least. I don't think that there's been anything yet to specify which it is.
chicgeek wrote: And Nudge is the sister of...I forget her name! Duh! Who are Charon's daughters.
Tsillah. We know that Tsillah is Charon's daughter, but can only assume that Nudge is as well. They could be half-sisters instead, with their as yet un-named mother being the bond between them. Or possibly even adopted "sisters" like Atsali and Castela; the face markings could be some sort of an artificial clan tattoo or whatever.
gharp wrote:Would that make "Son of a thu'um" equivalent to swearing in dragon?
That could be a rather large-scale problem when dealing with people of particularly draconian judgment. You'd need a good bit of lung power to manage it properly, though.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Catawampus wrote:
Julie wrote:I think that people are so much better off not trying to force prophecies or whatever and let free will take its course.
Assuming that free will is an option in a universe where prophecy is possible.
Fair enough. :) But if the prophecy is going to happen no matter what, why not sit back and just enjoy your life as if you don't know there's a prophecy...unless that's the lack of free will that you're suggesting...which would suck...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Julie wrote:Fair enough. :) But if the prophecy is going to happen no matter what, why not sit back and just enjoy your life as if you don't know there's a prophecy...unless that's the lack of free will that you're suggesting...which would suck...
"I prophesy that you will fret and worry constantly about this prophecy, because I'm bored and I find that sort of thing to be most entertaining. Heh heh heh."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Julie wrote:Fair enough. :) But if the prophecy is going to happen no matter what, why not sit back and just enjoy your life as if you don't know there's a prophecy...unless that's the lack of free will that you're suggesting...which would suck...
"I prophesy that you will fret and worry constantly about this prophecy, because I'm bored and I find that sort of thing to be most entertaining. Heh heh heh."
"I foresee that this prophesy will turn out to be false. Uhhh.. oops..."

(followed by the soft, subtle sound of a timeline imploding due to a Gödel paradox.)

(This is why prophets are required to speak in cryptic, ambiguous terms... it's so that they don't accidentally back the Universe into a corner.)

(Cornered universes can be vicious. Worse than terrorists, worse than wanted drug-cartel leaders, and worse even than politicians.)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:(Cornered universes can be vicious. Worse than terrorists, worse than wanted drug-cartel leaders, and worse even than politicians.)
*ponders the notion of a cornered universe composed of drug-dealing politicians*
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Catawampus wrote:
Dave wrote:(Cornered universes can be vicious. Worse than terrorists, worse than wanted drug-cartel leaders, and worse even than politicians.)
*ponders the notion of a cornered universe composed of drug-dealing politicians*
I think that's the Demon Dimension you're contemplating...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
"Hell."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:
David Eddings got ten books out of that idea...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Catawampus wrote:
Oh! The terror!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Catawampus wrote:
I'm wondering if that isn't this universe.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Catawampus wrote:
Sounds like House of Cards to me.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

That's not funny atoll. I guess they take quite atoll on their islands. Somebody needs to coral them before they get too violent.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:. . .

(followed by the soft, subtle sound of a timeline imploding due to a Gödel paradox.)

(This is why prophets are required to speak in cryptic, ambiguous terms... it's so that they don't accidentally back the Universe into a corner.)

(Cornered universes can be vicious. Worse than terrorists, worse than wanted drug-cartel leaders, and worse even than politicians.)
Nah. Most universes can escape corners through a handy singularity. Unfortunately, naked singularities are not pretty, not pretty at all. There's a reason that all nice singularities are always careful to be fully clothed.