Сочи 2014 (Winter Olympics Thread)

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Сочи 2014 (Winter Olympics Thread)

Post by jwhouk »

So - anyone out there getting a bit excited for the Winter Olympiad in Sochi, Russia? (By the way, the "Сочи" is the Cyrillic spelling of the city's name.)

My favorite sports to watch: curling, hockey, bobsled and speed skating. Three of the four have athletes on team USA from Wisconsin, which gets me a bit more excited than usual (and I get to laugh when an NBC commentator mispronounces "Rio, Wisconsin").
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Re: Сочи 2014 (Winter Olympics Thread)

Post by Jabberwonky »

I thought Rio was much further south...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Oh, yeah, it's south of me. It's just not THAT far south.

The vice-skip of the US Women's Curling Rink is from Rio (proper pronunciation: RYE-oh), a small town in south central Wisconsin.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I hope we do well, but I still don't understand the subtleties of curling...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

What's hard to understand? You scrape the ribbon against one of the blades of some scissors and... oh wait, that's not what you meant, is it...
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

shadowinthelight wrote:What's hard to understand? You scrape the ribbon against one of the blades of some scissors and... oh wait, that's not what you meant, is it...
No, but it tends to be one of my first thoughts when i hear the word (The other thought needs a heated rod with a clip on it or small heated cores fastened onto hair)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Not interested in the least if they are going to be so intolerant as to not allow certain countries to be allowed in the opening because of their National dress(namely, Scotland, Fiji, and American Samoa) because they think they look like dresses and they have such intolerance towards a certain look or lifestyle.

I have better ways of wasting my time. Call me back here if Russia changed their minds.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Curling, as I've said elsewhere, is a combination of shuffleboard, chess, and darts - all played with huge polished stones on ice with brooms.

Simple answer: the goal is to get your stone closer to the middle of the "board" than any other stone, and then have more of your stones closer to the middle than your opponent's closest stone. If you get more points from that over 10 tries by each team, you win the match.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Not interested in the least if they are going to be so intolerant as to not allow certain countries to be allowed in the opening because of their National dress(namely, Scotland, Fiji, and American Samoa) because they think they look like dresses and they have such intolerance towards a certain look or lifestyle.
The Scottish deserve to be banned, given Scotland's barbaric national sport of wild haggis hunting. Sure, it's the fox hunting in England that gets all of the attention and the organised protests, but what about those poor haggises up in the northern lands? Hardly anybody ever stands up for those tormented critters.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Catawampus wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Not interested in the least if they are going to be so intolerant as to not allow certain countries to be allowed in the opening because of their National dress(namely, Scotland, Fiji, and American Samoa) because they think they look like dresses and they have such intolerance towards a certain look or lifestyle.
The Scottish deserve to be banned, given Scotland's barbaric national sport of wild haggis hunting. Sure, it's the fox hunting in England that gets all of the attention and the organised protests, but what about those poor haggises up in the northern lands? Hardly anybody ever stands up for those tormented critters.
At least the Scots eat what they hunt. When was the last time you heard of an Englishman sitting down to a plate of fox?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Catawampus wrote:The Scottish deserve to be banned, given Scotland's barbaric national sport of wild haggis hunting. Sure, it's the fox hunting in England that gets all of the attention and the organised protests, but what about those poor haggises up in the northern lands? Hardly anybody ever stands up for those tormented critters.
At least the Scots eat what they hunt. When was the last time you heard of an Englishman sitting down to a plate of fox?
The Scots are perfectly justified on ecological grounds, too. Haggis breed very rapidly, and their growing population has put a terrible strain on the highly-endangered wild Scottish oatmeal herds. Just cut open a haggis after you catch it, and you'll see... its stomach will be simply full of chewed-up oatmeals... they have an insatiable appetite.

Haggis may seem to be incredibly cute, but they're actually almost as much of a menace as tribbles (and for similar reasons). They have no natural predators up in Scotland... the wild Abyssinian Tripehound can't survive the dreary rainy climate... and so the Scots have to keep them under control.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

WOOO!! Just heard that the Canadian men's hockey team finally has a replacement for Steve Stamkos (out of the running with a not-fully-healed broken leg). Things were getting tense for a while, there.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

MSL was the logical choice to replace Stamkos. It probably helped that Yzerman didn't even have to go far to look for the replacement.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Catawampus wrote:The Scottish deserve to be banned, given Scotland's barbaric national sport of wild haggis hunting. Sure, it's the fox hunting in England that gets all of the attention and the organised protests, but what about those poor haggises up in the northern lands? Hardly anybody ever stands up for those tormented critters.
The Scots are perfectly justified on ecological grounds, too. Haggis breed very rapidly, and their growing population has put a terrible strain on the highly-endangered wild Scottish oatmeal herds. Just cut open a haggis after you catch it, and you'll see... its stomach will be simply full of chewed-up oatmeals... they have an insatiable appetite.

Haggis may seem to be incredibly cute, but they're actually almost as much of a menace as tribbles (and for similar reasons). They have no natural predators up in Scotland... the wild Abyssinian Tripehound can't survive the dreary rainy climate... and so the Scots have to keep them under control.
How many of you have actually eaten Haggis, raise your hands...*raises hands*

Then again, being half Polish, I've also eaten Kiszka...a lot, and it's Hungarian and Russian clones Hurka and Krovyanka.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:How many of you have actually eaten Haggis, raise your hands...*raises hands*
Not haggis, no. I've had plenty of its "second cousin", scrapple, though. My mother's parents were of German-American heritage, and we lived in and around Philadelphia, so scrapple was a local standard.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

*raises hand* Back in high school for a multi-cultural celebration week. From what I recall, it wasn't too bad at all; a bit dry for something so meaty. Would try again.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:]How many of you have actually eaten Haggis, raise your hands...*raises hands*

Then again, being half Polish, I've also eaten Kiszka...a lot, and it's Hungarian and Russian clones Hurka and Krovyanka.
Made it. Eaten it. Like it just fine, if it's well made.

I've eaten things a lot "worse" than haggis over the years. As a kid, I'd eat every part of what I caught other than the fur. Every part. And sometimes I'd even be able to cook it first.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Catawampus wrote:
I've eaten things a lot "worse" than haggis over the years. As a kid, I'd eat every part of what I caught other than the fur. Every part. And sometimes I'd even be able to cook it first.
Did you grind their bones to make your bread?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote: I've eaten things a lot "worse" than haggis over the years. As a kid, I'd eat every part of what I caught other than the fur. Every part. And sometimes I'd even be able to cook it first.
This sounds like a piece of Jamie Hyneman's mythical backstory.

EDIT: Whaddaya know, it is actually part of his real life past! Jamie was a wilderness survival expert and instructor.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

MEANwhile, back in Russia:

US skater who was "cyber-bullied" over her addition to the US Olympic squad performs well enough to get the US into the final round of the team competition.