Katherine Smiles 2014-01-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Katherine Smiles 2014-01-29

Post by jwhouk »

And there's the reaction.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
NOTDilbert

Re: Katherine Smiles 2014-01-29

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky called it!
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Jabberwonky wrote: I see her leaning against the door frame, arms crossed under her breasts with a big lop-sided grin as she watches the kids rock out to mom's 'oldies'.
(little hearts floating around her head optional)
Give that man a cookie!
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm convinced that while Pablo is writing the comic's next arc he's mining the forums for pinup art ideas.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Oh yeah... She's watching the kids... =)
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Almost everything we know about Kath has been about since she's been working in the museum. She seemed well socialized and social on the dig site before the attack, but based on her museum persona, it's hard to picture Kath as a college metalhead. But not impossible....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

jwhouk wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote: I see her leaning against the door frame, arms crossed under her breasts with a big lop-sided grin as she watches the kids rock out to mom's 'oldies'.
Give that man a cookie!
Nope... he just got a free commission.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Who wouldn't love kids who listen to something better than the standard pop garbage?
NOTDilbert wrote:Almost everything we know about Kath has been about since she's been working in the museum. She seemed well socialized and social on the dig site before the attack, but based on her museum persona, it's hard to picture Kath as a college metalhead. But not impossible....
Well, Kath is the right age to have grown up listening to "classic" heavy metal.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AmriloJim wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
Give that man a cookie!
Nope... he just got a free commission.
I'm considering it 'I finally called one!'
:P
(My commission had Bud, Brandi and Jin)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:
Give that man a cookie!
Opus the Poet wrote:I'm convinced that while Pablo is writing the comic's next arc he's mining the forums for pinup art ideas.
I don't doubt it a bit. It's not quite the same as "breaking the fourth wall", but it's a similar sort of stepping outside of the usual structure. A bit, perhaps, like the sort of feedback which occurs between a musician and his/her audience, during a really good concert... the energy flows both ways.

I have a feeling that to a dedicated artist, the sound of fans' heart-strings going "twang" is one of the nicest sounds there is, and that's how I feel about seeing Kath smiling. Fictional though she is, it's just plain nice to see her happy and really alive once again!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Having been "born" in 1970, she probably did grow up during the 1980's - which was the heyday for metal bands.

That Dead Sea dig might have come around the time of the First Gulf War, or in the immediate aftermath.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Katherine has a Beautiful Smile. This is perfect. :)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
Give that man a cookie!
Opus the Poet wrote:I'm convinced that while Pablo is writing the comic's next arc he's mining the forums for pinup art ideas.
I don't doubt it a bit. It's not quite the same as "breaking the fourth wall", but it's a similar sort of stepping outside of the usual structure. A bit, perhaps, like the sort of feedback which occurs between a musician and his/her audience, during a really good concert... the energy flows both ways.

I have a feeling that to a dedicated artist, the sound of fans' heart-strings going "twang" is one of the nicest sounds there is, and that's how I feel about seeing Kath smiling. Fictional though she is, it's just plain nice to see her happy and really alive once again!
You are totally right. I've been commenting on this for awhile. Paul does mine the forum, here and on Facebook. When he needs fillers, or wants to get a awwww from the group he picks one and draws it. It actually provides us a little chance to affect what appears depending on how he likes our ideas, or comments. The point I wonder about is does he leave holes in the publishing schedule for this? A prior comment indicates he can, and will use these to reset the schedule for the strip. Just enjoy it when it happens. Though it is a shame Sali's Catwomen pic did not stay up that long. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

zachariah wrote:The point I wonder about is does he leave holes in the publishing schedule for this? A prior comment indicates he can, and will use these to reset the schedule for the strip. Just enjoy it when it happens.
One of the perks of publishing to your own private server... Lord knows how many frustrations come from the other aspects of that arrangement.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Katherine has a Beautiful Smile. This is perfect. :)
It's a "Mommy Smile". Can't beat them for beautiful.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

As for Pablo getting ideas from us, I hope he didn't get the idea for the tentacle demon taking the day for herself from my fan comic. That would mean he visited the Fan Art forum. He could very well become traumatized by the goings on in there. ImageImage
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

A while back, i began a daily thread with this post, referring to this comic page, which appeared right after this post opened the discussion on the previous day's comic...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Ay. "Filler Week" after funny hi-jinx..

Which, as experience has taught us, means Pablo is quite probably cooking-up a cornucopia of horrors for us, poor readers, for the next story-line... *gets nervous already*
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yeah, I noticed that while doing the story arc document: he ends storylines with single-shot comics. Heck, even in the longest storyline he ever did (KG&TLDOTA), he separated the Library end-scenes with "Little Atsali" single-panels.

We're either going to see the second part of "Tina vs. Bia", or another episode of "Minneapolis Paranormal High School".
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I hear there's a new Doctor coming to town...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous