Is This Normal 2014-01-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Re: Is This Normal 2014-01-27

Post by Atomic »

Catawampus wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Reminds me of a Blake's Seven quote. Not that anybody still remembers Blake's Seven.
I haven't a clue as to what you are talking about.
Blake's 7

One of the premier British Sci-Fi series after Doctor Who. Never got to see it myself, but highly rated it seems. Check YouTube.

And do NOT start on Space 1999. Martin Landau and Barbra Bain are Mission Impossible and nothing else! Nyah!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
illiad

Post by illiad »

the biggest problem about doing remakes, is that things are now MUCH more expensive.. (producer thinking "what can we get away with, without paying huge commission to the originals??" )

sorry guys, the target audience is teens today, not those who *were* teens when the series came out.... :cry:

being a ST:TOS fan, the prequel/remake of that was so different, you could just change the name, and a few set pieces, and you would think it was some OTHER film, and ST fans would not know, and even like it!!! :| :|
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Atomic wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Reminds me of a Blake's Seven quote. Not that anybody still remembers Blake's Seven.
I haven't a clue as to what you are talking about.
Blake's 7

One of the premier British Sci-Fi series after Doctor Who. Never got to see it myself, but highly rated it seems. Check YouTube.
Once again my subtlety is too subtle in its subtle subtleness, it seems.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Blake's 7 - the Anti Star Trek.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I hear that it's J.J. Abrams next project...
:P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
illiad

Post by illiad »

read my link about doing remakes... :/

for those who dont know or bother to find it...
It does bother me that some will not even click a link.: ( : (
Blakes 7 is set in a 'dictatorship' where 'convicts' manage to escape, and find a very advanced ship (can repair itself, has 'teleport' that no-one else has, and an intelligent computer) that somehow accepts them.. I guess it was on the way to a 'shop' so open to a 'new customer' ???
This is the main feature, and the dynamic of the criminals characters - always good to have one try to steal something, while the other gets their revenge!!

serenity comes close, but the problem is the distributors seem to be frightened of any thing to gritty... even star trek was about to miss, until someone said it was like 'wagon train'...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That "somebody" was Gene Roddenberry himself. The pitch had always been "Wagon Train to the Stars."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

illiad wrote:Blakes 7 is set in a 'dictatorship' where 'convicts' manage to escape, and find a very advanced ship (can repair itself, has 'teleport' that no-one else has, and an intelligent computer) that somehow accepts them.. I guess it was on the way to a 'shop' so open to a 'new customer' ???
Sounds similar to the concept behind Farscape.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

My brother's Path of the Fury uses a similar idea - and tosses in a genuine Classical Greek Fury as well.

(Do not read the expanded version, in Fury Born, until after you have read "Path" {if then}, which, in my opinion - and that of a fair number of others - is far superior to the expansion, which has many of the usual problems of heavily retconned fiction..)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
illiad

Post by illiad »

Farscape is a bit different... 'convict crew' yes, but the ship is one of many, and he is a space engineer, who develops 'warp drive' and cannot find his way back!! :roll: further complicated by crashing into an alien fighter, so he is being chased, then 'rescued' by that ship...