Do A Lap 2013-12-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Do A Lap 2013-12-16

Post by Dave »

meisdadoo wrote:I'm leaning towards the bunyip http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... Bunyip.jpg
Hmmm... could be... those who grew up in Philadelphia in the '50s and '60s might remember Bertie the Bunyip, and there does seem to be at least a bit of resemblence between the two...
bertie-and-adler.jpg
bertie-and-adler.jpg (27.27 KiB) Viewed 7829 times
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

"Naturally buoyant" -- Do sirens have bird-like hollow bones, to reduce their weight for flight? That would certainly enhance flotation... but it also means increased vulnerability to some kinds of injury.

(The Sphynxes don't exactly seem like lightweights or fragile, on the other hand. Magic (or whatever we're calling the paranormal) undoubtedly plays a part in getting them into the air. So maybe that's true for Atsali's people too.)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Nymphs.

Enormous nature-loving muscular gentle fighting beach babes.

It's totally a Wapsi sense of humor, and perspective.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:there does seem to be at least a bit of resemblence between the two...
...They both have eyelashes.

That's where it ends, Dave.

Thank you for the nightmare fuel. I'll have to get you something for Xmas now...
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

meisdadoo wrote:It just occurred to me that Atsali can fly better than the mermaid twins can swim. If they don't behave she could give them "flying lessons" (insert picture of an eagle flying off with a salmon). But I suspect that is not in her nature. . .yet.
^ This! This is why I posted the link to the 'catching salmon' video although I thinks scooping up a screaming bitchy mermaid and dropping her back in the pool from the rafters would earn her a trip to the principal's office ("IT WAS WORTH IT!").
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Platonix

Post by Platonix »

Julie wrote:By that I mean most humans aren't going to just hug themselves and stay upright in the water...they're going to tread water to stay afloat (though why we don't just teach kids to float on their backs to keep our heads above water is beyond me...there has to be a reason for it).
Not all swimming happens in a pool. If there are waves on the surface, to any degree at all, there's a chance of one washing over your face and giving you quite the rude awakening. Then you'd better be able to switch to treading water while you cough up the water and regain your composure.
illiad

Post by illiad »

DilyV wrote: I suspect that anyone showing that level of a lack of difficulty with water would stick out like a sore flipper in BUD/S training. I'm a non-swimmer, but I've noticed that even people who can swim well struggle mightily in situations like that. When I was in the Army we had a guy in Korea that was the best swimmer in the company... during RB-15 drills (a rubber assault boat) he almost drowned. He'd played water polo and was on the swim team in high school... we were in the water for like six hours... and heaving and hauling the boats, ourselves and our fellow soldiers in and out of the water for that length of time can wear on you. I hardly thing that Mrs. Adler would not have stuck out like a sore thumb if she'd been a Seal (the military kind, not the mammal.)
Yep, what they are doing now, is just playing!! part of my standard school swimming lessons was to put a full set of pyjamas on,
and do a a few lengths of the pool.. not as easy then!!! Will we see them put on 'full kit' in the pool later???? :mrgreen:
( is 'laps' and Americanism for 'lengths'??)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Platonix wrote:Not all swimming happens in a pool. If there are waves on the surface, to any degree at all, there's a chance of one washing over your face and giving you quite the rude awakening. Then you'd better be able to switch to treading water while you cough up the water and regain your composure.
What they taught us for "survival swimming" is the Dead Man's Float. It doesn't keep your head out of the water - you have to learn to be comfortable with your face submerged most of the time - but it takes less muscular energy than treading water. If you're in water which is warm enough that you don't have to keep moving constantly to stay warm, you can stave off fatigue by using this technique, and extend your survival time... or, at least, that's what they told us.

Fortunately, I've never had to find out personally whether this is true.
Tenjen

Post by Tenjen »

unfortunately being a good swimmer doenst cut it. You need actual training to handle any given water borne emergency. Stamina-dependent swimming situations is especially prone to this.

like being a good driver doesnt automately teach you how to deal with cruise control getting stuck
credit to Aoi Heart on DA
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Julie wrote:That is one awesome teacher! :) If only more teachers took such a stance on bullying...
If only that actually accomplished anything. :( In my experience the end result is usually a) the bully learns when they can and can't insult you without being caught and b) they (and potentially others in the class) blame you for the punishment they receive and turn up the intensity accordingly.

In my case both the bullies and myself were boys but I'm guessing girls aren't suddenly going to give up in this situation.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
pinglederry

Post by pinglederry »

DilyV wrote:
zachariah wrote:On second thought she could have joined the Navy and gone to SEAL training.

Whoever broke the pun jar did not do a good enough job. It's healing ability restored it and it asked if I was the one who broke it? I denied all knowledge and I suspect it doesn't believe me. I donated another gold bar but this time it withstood the impact quiet nicely. I guess it was just another brick in the wall.
I suspect that anyone showing that level of a lack of difficulty with water would stick out like a sore flipper in BUD/S training. I'm a non-swimmer, but I've noticed that even people who can swim well struggle mightily in situations like that. When I was in the Army we had a guy in Korea that was the best swimmer in the company... during RB-15 drills (a rubber assault boat) he almost drowned. He'd played water polo and was on the swim team in high school... we were in the water for like six hours... and heaving and hauling the boats, ourselves and our fellow soldiers in and out of the water for that length of time can wear on you. I hardly thing that Mrs. Adler would not have stuck out like a sore thumb if she'd been a Seal (the military kind, not the mammal.)
Well, and the "Mrs." part. Sadly for those of us who grew up wanting to fight actual pirates and not just Disney ones, they still won't let anybody with a vagina into the SEALs. :(
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

The take a lap thing shows my one "track" mind. I pictured them climbing out of the pool. running around it and getting back into the water, not swimming around it, DUH!
pinglederry wrote:Well, and the "Mrs." part. Sadly for those of us who grew up wanting to fight actual pirates and not just Disney ones, they still won't let anybody with a vagina into the SEALs. :(
You never know with paranormals. She could be capable of morphing into male human form, complete with genitalia.

At least we haven't seen any other strange traits suddenly appear now that Atsali is in the water. Of course, the week is young.

And a really large breasted human female could be holding herself and floating nicely like Atsali is doing. I don't see how that would be giving away anything paranormal. They would both float equally well that way, so why tread water? Also, since her breast size is beyond her morphing control, does that mean she could get breast reduction surgery? I would think she would like to do that if she could.

Bertie the Bunyip looks more like she was modeled after a duck-billed platypus than what one would imagine a bunyip to look like.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I wonder if those two water-witches know that Atsali could "rip a man in half", as Castela put it?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

KnightDelight wrote: Also, since her breast size is beyond her morphing control, does that mean she could get breast reduction surgery? I would think she would like to do that if she could.
No surgeon would even consider it for a 15 year old with out extensive reasons. Since her body is still changing and growing doing that at this time could cause real problems for her, and maybe the doctor as well. A friends son had a problem with the growth plate on his leg bone just below the knee at age 14. They refuse to fix it until he had finished growing. It's location would mean removing it could impact the other normal bone growth in that leg. Same issue would involve Sali at this point. She still has growing to do before she is adult. I doubt this is the only stage she will go through until she is an adult. At some point her voice has to mature as well. Maybe she can become a singing star?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

kingklash wrote:I wonder if those two water-witches know that Atsali could "rip a man in half", as Castela put it?
They might know but I doubt they think she would rip them in two. I doubt she would as well, so it doesn't mean much. Of course we don't know these two "girls" aren't capable of similar levels of bloody mayhem, so the playing field may be more level than we think. Besides, we have been told, and seen, the paranormal world can be quite savage and dangerous (to paranormals and humans) so these two may be no strangers to sudden and unexpected death.

That brings up a question. Given how sphinx rules of conduct go I have to wonder if other paranormals have similar codes of conduct? Do werewolves or vampires or para-wolverines have an uneasy truce among themselves while at school? If there are sphinxes, would they have that same instinct to go at it to the death if provoked? Basically, does the school have a tough time keeping certain of them from killing/eating/flaying/burning each other?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

NebulousRikulau wrote:
Akamar wrote:Hm.. perhaps Ms. Adler is a selkie?
With the students' current attitude, would that make her a seal of disapproval?

Yeah, I know. Pun jar. Clink.

I don't know, after
shadowinthelight wrote:Heh, Atsali's girls are buoys.
and no reaction from the pun vault I think you might be OK.

Of course it never hurts to be pro-active rather than re-active.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Dave wrote:What they taught us for "survival swimming" is the Dead Man's Float.
Can't do it. Unless I'm actively swimming and/or deliberately keep my lungs overinflated, my feet sink and I'm back to treading water.

("Dead Man's Float" -- that's a root beer with aces and eights, right?)

((I can't think of an appropriate contribution to the pun jar, so I'll leave you instead with the tale of the castaway who wanted a buoy to mark his favorite fishing hole, so he tied a vine between a log and a rock and tossed this over the side of his raft. The log, being ironwood, sunk. The rock, being volcanic pumice, floated.))
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

KnightDelight wrote:
kingklash wrote:I wonder if those two water-witches know that Atsali could "rip a man in half", as Castela put it?
They might know but I doubt they think she would rip them in two. I doubt she would as well, so it doesn't mean much. Of course we don't know these two "girls" aren't capable of similar levels of bloody mayhem, so the playing field may be more level than we think. Besides, we have been told, and seen, the paranormal world can be quite savage and dangerous (to paranormals and humans) so these two may be no strangers to sudden and unexpected death.

That brings up a question. Given how sphinx rules of conduct go I have to wonder if other paranormals have similar codes of conduct? Do werewolves or vampires or para-wolverines have an uneasy truce among themselves while at school? If there are sphinxes, would they have that same instinct to go at it to the death if provoked? Basically, does the school have a tough time keeping certain of them from killing/eating/flaying/burning each other?
Not just rivalries or natural predatory instincts. Imagine a congratulatory head-butt from Sweetie the minotaur...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

loxmyth wrote:
Dave wrote:What they taught us for "survival swimming" is the Dead Man's Float.
Can't do it. Unless I'm actively swimming and/or deliberately keep my lungs overinflated, my feet sink and I'm back to treading water
In the version of Dead Man's Float that I was taught, it's OK if your feet sink. In fact, you're expected to float in a near-vertical position. As long as your buoyancy with lungs inflated is high enough that you free-float with at least a tiny bit of your head out of the water, you won't actually sink (and this is true of most people... not all, though).

I see that the same term "Dead Man's Float" is used for a "float your whole body on top of the water" style as well. I don't think I could do that in fresh water (same issue as you have - my feet and legs will sink) although I can do it in salt water. The "drownproofing" vertical-float-and-bob-up approach works either way, at least for me.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Do ya think Gilchrist and Gotlieb will become buds after this?
not in the least... Atsali just made an arch-enemy today without doing a bloody thing!...

Gotlieb got embarrassed by, and in trouble by said teacher after making a snide comment about Atsali, and with that kind of mentality Gotlieb's first thought is going to be that Atsali is a Teacher's Pet and that it was Atsali's fault that she (and everybody else too) had to do the laps around the pool, NOT that it was her own dang big mouth that got her in trouble... it's NEVER their OWN fault, ALWAYS someone ELSE'S fault/cause... so, no... Gotlieb will hate Atsali even more now and like others have said about bullies, she has ALSO learned to keep her mouth shut when in gym class... but outside of there... look out!.. i foresee the cold-shoulder treatment and the character assassination style rumors to start flying quite quickly after today, and that things will get quite grim-dark for both Atsali (and us readers)for a while till things blow over.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac