Do A Lap 2013-12-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Do A Lap 2013-12-16

Post by DilyV »

Mrs. Adler, a Mermaid? I'm not sure about that... that had to be one ugly, numerously branched coral tree she fell out of if she is. I'm getting the distinct impression she hit most of them twice. LOL I'm thinking selkie too... after all, she IS barking like a seal... I don't know why, but when Adler speaks, I hear Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann... :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

NebulousRikulau wrote:Yeah, I know. Pun jar. Clink.
After a pun like that, "clink" is definitely in your future, Pun Jar payment notwithstanding! :lol:
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:I don't know why, but when Adler speaks, I hear Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann... :lol: :lol: :lol:
That figures that she would have been in the marines.

into to the pun jar - CLUNK
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:This also implies that sirens are water based paras. This makes me wonder about her father. Her bird form is clearly not a water type.
I don't think that it is just for water based paras. It is just an activity that is like walking and chewing gum at the same time, you actually can do both if you don't have to think about it (though you would have to be a habitual gum chewer -- ick).
zachariah wrote:Sali's flotation devices seem actually much larger than before.
They are floating. Normally gravity pulls them down so they pivot inwardo and flatten against the chest. In water they are supported so they float up and away from the chest, though in Atsali's case it is even more extreme. Hope they don't have to use the high board for diving, no matter how good her entry is it is probably going to feel like a belly-flop to Atsali.

They might have water polo next, shape control can be easily slip during an aggressive play, and Gotlieb is likely to take the opportunity to ‘accidentally mistake' part of Atsali for the ball. Bet there is gymnastics too, for the same reason. Think about how hard it could be for some of them to maintain their shape while on the balance beam, especially when they start to fall off.
Last edited by My2Cents on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Tenjen

Post by Tenjen »

even non-water based para's probably get training, especially the water averse, who need the most training to not screw up in public.

Like say, being in water and turning someone nearby into ice along with the water around them AND YOU at the slightest provocation *side glance*
credit to Aoi Heart on DA
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Tenjen wrote:even non-water based para's probably get training, especially the water averse, who need the most training to not screw up in public.

Like say, being in water and turning someone nearby into ice along with the water around them AND YOU at the slightest provocation *side glance*
The water averse tend to avoid the water even if they can swim.

Besides the iceberg incident was an accident done in the cool of the moment. It was not a titanic mistake.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

My2Cents wrote: They might have water polo next, shape control can be easily slip during an aggressive play, and Gotlieb is likely to take the opportunity to ‘accidentally mistake' part of Atsali for the ball. Bet there is gymnastics too, for the same reason. Think about how hard it could be for some of them to maintain their shape while on the balance beam, especially when they start to fall off.
You're making their PE sound a bit like the Danger Room the X-Men use for training. I doubt they go to that length of training. Sports in school in to encourage team work, fitness, and learning basic skills like swimming.

I've always wondered about water polo. How do you keep the horses head out of the water?
elanora

Post by elanora »

TheCollector wrote:Ok, so, is everyone else loving that Atsali seems to of become such a main character lately? I wasn't sure on her at first, but the more I've seen the more I like her. Hope she doesn't vanish for months at a time like some characters. Ah the perils of a freaking huge cast.
I have to agree, I'm loving the focus on her, and she seems like she has plenty of story to tell.
Tenjen

Post by Tenjen »

zachariah wrote:
Tenjen wrote:even non-water based para's probably get training, especially the water averse, who need the most training to not screw up in public.

The water averse tend to avoid the water even if they can swim.

Besides the iceberg incident was an accident done in the cool of the moment. It was not a titanic mistake.
that's the thing though, they have to atleast prepare for the unforeseen. One never knows what life can throw at you. Training them would be even more important so they don't freak out and go all para in public. THen everyone will be in hot water. (harr harr)

I too am enjoying Atsali time in the foreground. she was introduced to us as a girl who wanted adventure but was in over her head, WAY OVER. We didn't get to really see her for who she was as a person. Its great getting to find out who she is and how her life is improving now thanks to Katherine. That as much as we didn't know her before, that who-ever she was before is growing and improving and blossoming for the better. We get to see this <3
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

zachariah wrote:I've always wondered about water polo. How do you keep the horses head out of the water?
Their is no danger of their heads sinking. Haven't you've ever heard of floating horse teeth?
*drops a lucky horse shoe in the pun jar*
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Tenjen

Post by Tenjen »

they ride their classmates, the Hippocampus Para's!

Its an obligatory part of the sports curriculum so the hippocampus Para's cant say Neigh.

*dumps a gold brick on the swear jar, smashing it*

damn.
illiad

Post by illiad »

zachariah wrote:It's true. In panel 1 the water magnifies the images you see through it. Sali's flotation devices seem actually much larger than before. But strangely only they seem to be enlarged as her hair is smaller.
nope, not magnification.. its gravity that make them seem smaller! :mrgreen: in water, they can spread out much more, as they are fully supported.. I'm sure the ladies in here have seen that.. :P :)

a simple experiment is a paper tissue.. quite small, until it floats on water!!
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

On a positive note, Atsali is doing fine maintaining her human form despite some
degree of mental distress.

I bet those mermaid bitches have webbed toes!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

zachariah wrote:
DilyV wrote:I don't know why, but when Adler speaks, I hear Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann... :lol: :lol: :lol:

On second thought she could have joined the Navy and gone to SEAL training.

Whoever broke the pun jar did not do a good enough job. It's healing ability restored it and it asked if I was the one who broke it? I denied all knowledge and I suspect it doesn't believe me. I donated another gold bar but this time it withstood the impact quiet nicely. I guess it was just another brick in the wall.
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Gotta admit I was waiting for the "flotation devices" line.

When I was her age, if I emptied my lungs halfway I had negative buoyancy. If I presaturated with O2, I could sit on the bottom of the pool without moving for a minute. Which, I guess, points out that "like a human" can cover a substantial range.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I must admit to being shocked by Atsali's physique: I never realised that her hair actually had the ability to lie down flat!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And here I am, thinking, "How does she expect them to do a lap? It's kinda dangerous to run around the outside edge of a pool!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

That is one awesome teacher! :) If only more teachers took such a stance on bullying...
zachariah wrote:So the class is not so much about learning to swim as it is about learning to fully maintain their human for while swimming. Given the examples the teachers used I suspect all the girls in the class are para-normals who associated with water. Sirens, mermaids, Naiads, and the like. Given the example the teacher used I bet Ms. Gotlieb is a mermaid. The PE coach using that type of control would have aimed her remark at the person she was trying to shut up by saying bad gossip about their type just after they said it about someone else. Like don't spread stupid rumors like this one that could be said about you.

This also implies that sirens are water based paras. This makes me wonder about her father. Her bird form is clearly not a water type.
I think it's not just about maintaining human form while in the water...but also maintaining the appearance of being human. By that I mean most humans aren't going to just hug themselves and stay upright in the water...they're going to tread water to stay afloat (though why we don't just teach kids to float on their backs to keep our heads above water is beyond me...there has to be a reason for it). Paranormals may be able to keep their heads above water without trying, and might be tempted to just let their floatation happen naturally...which would bring attention to them and get the paranormal world noticed.

That's why she said that they're supposed to look human in the water instead of like a siren or mermaid...not necessarily because sirens are good in the water, but because there is a siren in the water who needs to look more human by "trying to stay afloat" like a human would.

At least, that's my opinion. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:
zachariah wrote:

On second thought she could have joined the Navy and gone to SEAL training.

Whoever broke the pun jar did not do a good enough job. It's healing ability restored it and it asked if I was the one who broke it? I denied all knowledge and I suspect it doesn't believe me. I donated another gold bar but this time it withstood the impact quiet nicely. I guess it was just another brick in the wall.
I suspect that anyone showing that level of a lack of difficulty with water would stick out like a sore flipper in BUD/S training. I'm a non-swimmer, but I've noticed that even people who can swim well struggle mightily in situations like that. When I was in the Army we had a guy in Korea that was the best swimmer in the company... during RB-15 drills (a rubber assault boat) he almost drowned. He'd played water polo and was on the swim team in high school... we were in the water for like six hours... and heaving and hauling the boats, ourselves and our fellow soldiers in and out of the water for that length of time can wear on you. I hardly thing that Mrs. Adler would not have stuck out like a sore thumb if she'd been a Seal (the military kind, not the mammal.)
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

It just occurred to me that Atsali can fly better than the mermaid twins can swim. If they don't behave she could give them "flying lessons" (insert picture of an eagle flying off with a salmon). But I suspect that is not in her nature. . .yet. :roll:

And with all the puns flying around the room the pun jar should sound like slot machine paying out the big jackpot. (CLINK, CLINK, CLINK, CLINK, CLINK, CLINK, CLINK, CLINK, CLINK, CLINK, ....)

As for Ms. Adler--she appears to be a large muscular brusque no-nonsense paranormal that is comfortable around water. Hard to say what she is in her paranormal form, but shark-lady does not appear in the wikipedia list of mythical creatures. However there are three likely candidates, the Kelpie a Scottish sea horse; a selkie, the seal like anamorph; and the bunyip a large muscular water creature from Australia that grabs full grown men in its dog like jaws and swallows them whole. . .

I'm leaning towards the bunyip http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... Bunyip.jpg
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?