Breathing Is Good 2013-12-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sidhekin

Re: Breathing Is Good 2013-12-06

Post by Sidhekin »

Breathing: 9 out of 10 doctors recommend it.

... I'm sure there'll be a Whovian around to elaborate on the 10th doctor.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Sidhekin wrote:Breathing: 9 out of 10 doctors recommend it.

... I'm sure there'll be a Whovian around to elaborate on the 10th doctor.
Probably the 10th doctor has been zombiefied.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Graymalkin

Post by Graymalkin »

D'awww...Were-bears be Care Bears.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

If Atsali and the Beat Twins go to the same school, and they decide to present a united ... errr ... front, as it were, they could OWN the joint.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Atsali has a little sis,and a mom. And now she has friends her own age,paranormals,to boot! True,she has lots of honorary aunties,but this is different. I hope they can end up at the same school, but even if not,I forsee a lot of hanging around in the future. "Mom, can I spend the night at Berdine and Nadette's? Mom, we're going to the mall-what do you mean I have to finish my homework first? That's not faaair!' Or maybe they start hanging out at Mucho Mocha. If the twins are at the mall today, they're somewhere in the general vicinity,close enough for visits. I'm glad to see her finding friends!
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

The last panel is extra cute. It reminds me of the last panel here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/get-these-pix/

And yes, breathing = good.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Peer support. From folks she was worried were about to slap her down. Excellent; much more convincing than an adult will ever be.
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Having shapeshifters as pals will come in handy when shopping.

"I wonder what I'd look like in this?"
(Balloon squeak sound) "Like this."

This assumes Da Bears can simulate clothing, which might
make you wonder why they're clothes shopping.
(A simulated coat won't keep them warm in the winter?)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

On my Kiowa side, the story is told about a long time ago, half of the tribe's population had turned into bears. No reason was given, but depending on the storyteller, it was important for it to happen. To this day, those who were brought up in Traditional ways, claim kinship with Bears. Not in the stereotypical New-Agey, "connection with all creatures" movie way, but a flat out "Bears are our brothers, because a lot of them are Kiowa" way. We won't own anything that was once a part of an actual Bear, because how would you feel if someone was sporting a necklace with your ancestor's toe bone on it? We can have symbols, like my brother's tattoo of bear tracks around his ankle, or my keyring with the bear fetish (not that kind, you randy git!) hanging on it. Just not real body parts.

That being said, I wonder where the Cubbies hail from? If they're from around Yellowstone, they may be traditional family to me. That's around the upper edge of the Kiowa's nomadic range.
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Given that everyone else has already covered the field about whether the Ursa twins are bear-arsed... At some point I need to talk to a friend of mine who is a serious costumer/tailor (as in, she makes everything from stage costumes to SCA garb to steampunk garb to serious church vestments to...). and ask her how _she_ would solve the problem of making pants for people who have tails, assuming that their hips and spines are otherwise similar to ours. I'm willing to believe that she could come up with something that would actually be practical, comfortable and decorious.

And depending on what I do with some of my own costuming ideas, I may need that solution someday.
eee

Post by eee »

loxmyth wrote:Given that everyone else has already covered the field about whether the Ursa twins are bear-arsed...
Are they, though? I note that originally they were wearing black short-shorts. I wonder if they might have switched to light colored skirts.
loxmyth wrote: At some point I need to talk to a friend of mine who is a serious costumer/tailor (as in, she makes everything from stage costumes to SCA garb to steampunk garb to serious church vestments to...). and ask her how _she_ would solve the problem of making pants for people who have tails, assuming that their hips and spines are otherwise similar to ours. I'm willing to believe that she could come up with something that would actually be practical, comfortable and decorious.

And depending on what I do with some of my own costuming ideas, I may need that solution someday.
This is a common problem in considering realistic clothing for furries. The best solution I've seen is a notch in the skirt or pants for the tail, with a strap or flap on one side at the top of the notch that goes over the tail's base and can be fastened on the other side. Much easier than trying to thread a tail through a hole, and also easier to remove for bathroom breaks and other necessities. :D
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

BTW, getting back to the question of a portable model -- Are folks familiar with the "duct-tape dressmaker's dummy" trick? Basically, dress the subject in a T-shirt which can be sacrificed, and wrap in layers of duct tape to conform accurately to their shape without compressing, then cut up the back so the now-fairly-rigid mold can be taken off. Sew back together and stuff firm. Not perfect, but it gives you a cheap dummy fitted pretty well to that specific individual.

(Ah, the things you learn when your friends are costumers....)
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Apropos of absolutely nothing, approximated from memory:

Miz Beaver: "... An' in those days I was a perfect 36."
Mam'selle Hepsebah: "Hot alors -- what are these measurement?"
Miz Beaver: "36, 36, _AN'_ 36!"
Mam'selle Hepsebah: "Formee-double parfait!"

(The swamp crowd misses you, Unka Walt...)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

loxmyth wrote:(The swamp crowd misses you, Unka Walt...)
Ahh, Mam'zelle Hepzibah. My first furry crush...
kelly-mamzelle.jpg
kelly-mamzelle.jpg (79.84 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
Mamzelle Hepzibah.jpg
Mamzelle Hepzibah.jpg (120.61 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

"Go! And never dark on my door again!"

=========

I've always loved her jabot.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

eee wrote:
loxmyth wrote:Given that everyone else has already covered the field about whether the Ursa twins are bear-arsed...
Are they, though? I note that originally they were wearing black short-shorts. I wonder if they might have switched to light colored skirts.
I've been wondering about this. The bear girls are shapeshifters cape able of, apparently, taking on any form they want. (http://wapsisquare.com/comic/ursamorphs/) This has me thinking, and I think someone else mentioned this too, that they can probably "shape shift" clothing and change any time they want to. Clothes shopping might just be a case of window shopping for them. Get some ideas and then replicate them.

Of course, this would basically make them bear-naked all the time :o

*deposits a copy of Persona 4 in the pun jar*
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

jayessell wrote:Having shapeshifters as pals will come in handy when shopping.

"I wonder what I'd look like in this?"
(Balloon squeak sound) "Like this."

This assumes Da Bears can simulate clothing, which might
(A simulated coat won't keep them warm in the winter?)
Follow that logic a little farther and you start questioning if they are bears, or anything else, in the first place.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

My2Cents wrote:
jayessell wrote:This assumes Da Bears can simulate clothing, which might
Follow that logic a little farther and you start questioning if they are bears, or anything else, in the first place.
Metamorphosis has had people wondering about those limits since well before Ovid.

It's arguable that the early Greek philosophers considered the aspects of form so closely because the myths in their times taught that their gods and spirits would take so many different ones. The usual interests in life, youth and beauty played a part, but there seems to be a thread of trying to determine intrinsic forms, like Plato's solids, in order to circumscribe the possible.

In <i>Wapsi,</i> it may be a rule that human form can be taken if human makes up part of your heritage. So that seems to be a hard-coded point. Bear-spirit may be another one of those points. Having a default is if nothing else, a comfort if you're a full metamorph.

Monica's crazy mix of resetting-form Phoenix and metamorphic Jaguar and (possibly) Stygian heritages is presenting her with some potentially serious challenges. Time may come where she will have to (re)learn how to take normal human form as well.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think the "memory stick" in her skull has a default refresh mode - at least, according to Shelly.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

jwhouk wrote:I think the "memory stick" in her skull has a default refresh mode - at least, according to Shelly.
Her intrinsic strength and cup size are also carried over, apparently. I don't think we know yet whether Bia is responsible for that part yet.

I suspect it's the "unforeseen consequence" of the plan, paralleling Jin's relying on the Calendar to provide her mental stability, and then the time loops caused a steady degradation of her mental integrity, through the sheer length of operating time.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.