Aunt Monica 2013-11-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Aunt Monica

Post by lake_wrangler »

pinglederry wrote:Huh; somebody seems to have taken a level in grown-up since three pages ago when we last saw her. Different shirt, fuller shinier lips, and is she taller? Is she relaxing her hold on her more-immature shape now that the puberty thing has been found out, or is it just a shift in how she's being drawn today?
DilyV wrote:Atsali seems to be maturing as we speak... did anyone else notice she doesn't have that early early teenish look anymore? The breast augmentation notwithstanding, Sali LOOKS older... No wonder she's so scared... knowing what she is and how others think of her kind and dealing with puberty at the same time. Now add the stress of finding out your aunt is the Jaguar Girl...
I was just looking at that, myself, and comparing with her appearance from just a few comics ago... there, her face was more angular, more squarish. Her face is definitely different, today. "Relaxing her hold on her more-immature shape" actually makes sense, as pinglederry puts it.
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

lake_wrangler wrote:
pinglederry wrote:"Relaxing her hold on her more-immature shape"
The secret is out -- at least locally -- pun unavoidable -- so she isn't focused on hiding it, and it does make sense that this would change her body language strongly.

I'm still impressed that she was able to bind herself down that far and breathe at all. OK, comic physics, but it's still a good comment on how far folks are willing to go to project a specific image... though at least in this case she had reasons for concern other than fashion.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:You know what this intervention is missing?

Amanda!

Can't have a proper M-boob talk without Amanda's perspective, now can we?
While Monica did introduce Amanda to the supernatural in her own life and the events surrounding the calendar, would Amanda be ready to deal with the supernatural world at large?
Or more importantly, would the supernatural world be ready to deal with Amanda?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Julie

Re: Aunt Monica 2013-11-26

Post by Julie »

This page is just lovely...not in the "Paul added pretty colors and this could be a wallpaper or pin-up" sense, but it's showing four of the characters in very beautiful/adorable/likeable poses, lighting, etc. :) Also, love the look on Atsali's face. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Sidhekin wrote:Can't have a proper M-boob talk without Amanda's perspective, now can we?
Yeesh, just because M is also her cup size... :lol:

More seriously, it would be nice to see Amanda again. I hope she's been hanging around with Monica during the times when dramatic things aren't happening. The Wapsi-verse does have things happen 'off screen,' so they could be getting together for coffee all the time.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Julie wrote:This page is just lovely...not in the "Paul added pretty colors and this could be a wallpaper or pin-up" sense, but it's showing four of the characters in very beautiful/adorable/likeable poses, lighting, etc. :) Also, love the look on Atsali's face. :)
I agree with your statement, Julie. I also like the difference between what Tsillah was saying to Monica and what Bud is saying to Atsali. As usual Bud is right on target... Tsillah still has a lot to learn even though she is Death's Daughter. If Bud had been talking to Monica, she would have just said "be yourself."
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Not only has her appearance changed her clothes have changed as well.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/nothing-more-than-that/
She was wearing this just a little while ago in the clinic. Not only has the color changed but she is wearing only the t shirt top, not the under garment with sleeves. Not wearing a bra either, this is normal as none of her would have fit and she bound them anyway. Next stop lingerie, or possibly a trip to Lidia's. After the talk that is.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

BTW - do we know if Lidia has any tattoos?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

I think that Monica's apprehensions and self-proclaimed social awkwardness only exist in her mind. When she finally gets to talking to Sali, she'll be just fine...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wdot wrote:I agree with your statement, Julie. I also like the difference between what Tsillah was saying to Monica and what Bud is saying to Atsali. As usual Bud is right on target... Tsillah still has a lot to learn even though she is Death's Daughter. If Bud had been talking to Monica, she would have just said "be yourself."
Yup to you both :) . And, what you've said here calls out another reason why it's perfect for Monica and Atsali to talk. They have more in common than either yet realizes... it's not just about being "busty and young".

Atsali was afraid to meet the Jaguar Girl because of what she believed/imagined the JG to be... powerful, important, awesome... an apex paranormal.

Monica was afraid to meet with Atsali because of what she believed/imagined she was being expected to be... wise, experienced, beyond insecurities and body-image and relationship turmoil... an apex counselor.

They're both afraid of an image... of an imagined Being. Neither fear is necessary.

The fact is, Monica can do Atsali a world of good, just being herself... a woman who's been through the "big bust" social and self-consciousness issues, teen angst and trauma... a truly sympathetic ear for Atsali. And, it could do Monica a world of good as well... helping remind her that she's a woman of excellent character and great human worth, entirely independent of the basketful of mystical powers that have descended on her shoulders over the years. She may make a good new friend in Atsali over time, and that'd be good for Monica, too.

Oi. I just realized Paul is doing it to us again.

He's setting us up, as he sets up The Jaguar Girl in a new career.

She's going to end up as the personal-advice columnist for the local paranormals' newspaper.

"Dear Tabby"
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I can see it now:

Dear Tabby,

I have a girl friend who is a sphinx. Normally everything is fine but lately she has been shedding AND molting at the same time. This doesn't appear to bother her, but it does me. Not only does it take forever to clean the shower afterwards but can you even imagine what happens when she sneezes? I would try and discuss this with her but worry about how she would react to it. How should I explain the problem and how to deal with it without getting eaten?

Hen-pecked and cat scratched
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote: Oi. I just realized Paul is doing it to us again.

He's setting us up, as he sets up The Jaguar Girl in a new career.

She's going to end up as the personal-advice columnist for the local paranormals' newspaper.

"Dear Tabby"
You do realize the pun jar is going to have to make a change in its rates to evaluate this one. I pity your pun pal account after this.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was thinking of this while working... (I'm a city transit bus driver, for the City of Montréal, Québec, Canada, and as long as I pay attention to the road and its users, I still have plenty of time to think.)

On Atsali's transformation:
Paraphrased movie quote wrote: [Aussie accent]
- You have a long way to go yet, lass.
- She's not a lass, brother, she's a Siren!
- The Siren from Wapsi Square...
[/Aussie accent]
:) :D :mrgreen: :lol:
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

zachariah wrote:I can see it now:

Dear Tabby,

I have a girl friend who is a sphinx. Normally everything is fine but lately she has been shedding AND molting at the same time. This doesn't appear to bother her, but it does me. Not only does it take forever to clean the shower afterwards but can you even imagine what happens when she sneezes? I would try and discuss this with her but worry about how she would react to it. How should I explain the problem and how to deal with it without getting eaten?

Hen-pecked and cat scratched
And so it begins....

Where would a "Dear Tabby" column reside, here in the main forums, in Fan Art, or a new section of it's own?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Fan art. The verbal arts are also arts.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Could also be in the Wapsi Square General Discussion sub-forum. I suppose it would depend on whether most of the submissions would be fans discussing their own issues (in which case Fan Art would be more appropriate) or are mock-from-the-characters submissions that are discussing strip matters that are largely canon (in which case the General Discussion forum would fit).
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Hopefully nowhere. I threw mine in just for a laugh not to be taken seriously. There are many better places than this forum for that type of board. besides who would Tabby be? I don't think any of us a crazy enough to want to take something like that on. Or if we are I am not sure our collective sense of warped humor would be enough. Let's just stick to enjoying Wapsi and it's stories and the fun we have discussing it here.
illiad

Post by illiad »

loxmyth wrote: I'm still impressed that she was able to bind herself down that far and breathe at all. OK, comic physics, but it's still a good comment on how far folks are willing to go to project a specific image... though at least in this case she had reasons for concern other than fashion.
no, I think she bound herself *before* she morphed, that was brought about by emotional feelings, eg thinking about the scary movie?? she was OK before, then *whoomph* no room to breathe... just like a RL guy going through puberty, it may be a bit controllable at the very start , by thinking about awful stuff, but it only delays the inevitable embarrassing happenings.... :( :oops:
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I have a book from a few years back called Dear Tabby so there may be some copyright issues...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote:I have a book from a few years back called Dear Tabby so there may be some copyright issues...
That's OK. We can just wait for Castela to grow up, and give her the job... "Ask Plant Landers"