Send Monica to have a little talk with this guy

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Send Monica to have a little talk with this guy

Post by Fairportfan »

Remember Steve Jobs and "You're holding it wrong"?

I guess when you've got a sufficiently indoctrinated fanboi (or -grrl) base market, you can afford to be dismissive of people's problems.

Lululemon Founder Blames Women
The Daily Beast wrote:It’s the year of inner thighs! After a raft of complaints by customers over quality issues with Lululemon pants, founder Chip Wilson told Bloomberg TV, “Frankly some women’s bodies just don’t actually work for it.” He continued, arguing, “It’s really about the rubbing through the thighs, how much pressure is there over a period of time.” Lululemon recalled nearly a quarter of its pants this past spring for being see-through, and last week customers began to complain of pilling (clumps of fuzz).
I have to give you this quote (from Chip Wilson - from the Business Insider article The Daily Beast linked to about women's problems with their yoga pants) out of context:
"...it's really about the rubbing through the thighs, how much pressure is there over a period of time, how much they use it."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Re: Send Monica to have a little talk with this guy

Post by Jabberwonky »

Is this from the 'We'll Make a Product and the Customer Will Have to Change to Use It' business model?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

It's more like "If you don't meet our aesthetic standards, we don't want your business."
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I own Yoga pants, but I use them for Yoga, Pilates, and other exercises(though mine are Danskin, and not this brand, but if this is how they treat customers, I would not buy from them).

I thought Yoga is all about movement. So is there some fashion trend regarding yoga pants I am not aware of?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:I own Yoga pants, but I use them for Yoga, Pilates, and other exercises(though mine are Danskin, and not this brand, but if this is how they treat customers, I would not buy from them).

I thought Yoga is all about movement. So is there some fashion trend regarding yoga pants I am not aware of?
Lululemon seems to be the athletic garb equivalent of Apple.

Here's a blog devoted to nothing but how cool the stuff is and keeping up with all the wonderful new stuff - it's called "Lululemon Addict":
lulu.jpg
lulu.jpg (57.73 KiB) Viewed 5606 times
Here's the sidebar that defies the blog's raisin daughter:
Have Something to Share? Email Me!

Have a photo of something you saw in a store? Heard a juicy Lulu rumor? Just have questions? Send me an email at lululemonaddict@gmail.com. Please don't think I am ignoring you if I take a couple of days to respond. I'm not, I love reading all your email.

About Me

For 18 years I was an electrical engineer working in communications satellite system engineering. I've worked at Boeing, Booz, Allen & Hamilton, and General Electric. For the past ten years I've been a stay at home mom who keeps busy volunteering and chauffeuring her three kids to their activities. I live in Orange County, California.

I go to the gym ~4-5 days a week for spin class, weight lifting, and cardio. I took up running a year ago and have completed three half marathons and have two more scheduled this summer. I discovered Lululemon five years ago and really liked the fit and performance of the clothes. I do check out other brands (use the search function to find reviews for MPG, Bic Bands, Kira Grace, and Yogasmoga) so if you would like me to review your product please contact me.

If you would like to contact me, my email address is lululemonaddict@gmail.com.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Fairportfan wrote:Here's the sidebar that defies the blog's raisin daughter
At first, I was :| but after a moment's thought I was :lol:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:
Argh. That was supposed to say "defines".

That said, i swiped the horrible play on words from Fritz Leiber.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Argh. That was supposed to say "defines".

That said, i swiped the horrible play on words from Fritz Leiber.
It works well even with the typo... in fact it conveys the idea of some strange sort of social conflict taking place. Why would the child of grapes be so dictatorial that a sidebar would be written to protest her actions? There's a story here!

Enquiring minds, wont to gnaw,
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:I own Yoga pants, but I use them for Yoga, Pilates, and other exercises(though mine are Danskin, and not this brand, but if this is how they treat customers, I would not buy from them).

Yoga is all about poses (which of course involve movement to achieve)...but I think that guy was referencing the fact that some women's thighs touch when they stand with their feet together...and some women (mostly stick shaped ones) have a gap between their thighs when standing that way (as shown below).

Apparently the skinny females are the only ones who are "supposed" to shop at Lululemon. Nevermind the fact that some fit and toned women have thighs that touch, but would otherwise be well suited to Lululemon's apparel. :roll: I get that this company may not be designing and selling clothing for larger or more curvy figures...but they apparently make clothing up to size 12...and most of the size 12 women I've met have thighs that touch...and fairly round derrieres that would strech the fabric to a potential see-through state.

*shrugs* Any way you look at it, this guy is an idiot and a bit of a jerk IMO. I think I'll classify him right up there with the folks running that company ...was it Abercrombie & Fitch or Banana Republic...well one of the heads of that company flat out said that they only wanted the attractive and popular kids shopping at their stores. Obviously their pig-headed and borderline offensive attitudes aren't hurting sales figures enough for them to care, but it's still pretty sick. :evil:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

A&F.

Some of the article comments mention that he's a spiritual look-alike of the Abercrombie guy who said that.

=======

A&F has an ... Interesting ... history - at one time they were tops in sporting goods.

======

Hmmm. These days it's a subsidiary of The Limited (Along with Bed & Bath and Victoria's Secret. I sense a pattern.)

================

I like this from the "History" section of the Wikipedia page:
The company has been accused of promoting the sexualization of pre-teen girls by marketing thongs to 10-year-olds and padded bikini tops to 7-year-olds.

The Company has received criticism over its provocative advertising. In 2013, the Company came under fire for comments made by the CEO, stating that his brand is only suitable for "the good-looking, cool kids," and that there are people who don't belong in his clothes – namely overweight people.
Geeze - and i thought Bratz were horrible.

Anyway, here's What Used To Be:
There have been three retailers called Abercrombie & Fitch and the current A&F shares only its name with the original business.

Founded in 1892 in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, by David T. Abercrombie and Ezra H. Fitch, the original Abercrombie & Fitch was an elite outfitter of sporting and excursion goods, particularly noted for its expensive shotguns, fishing rods, and tents. The company expanded outside the U.S. in 1894 by opening a store in Beirut, Lebanon in the Ashrafieh borough, which still exists. In 1976, Abercrombie & Fitch filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, finally closing its flagship Manhattan store in 1977.

The name was revived shortly thereafter, when in 1978–91, Oshman's Sporting Goods, a Houston-based chain, bought the defunct firm's name and mailing list. Oshman's relaunched A&F as a mail-order retailer specializing in hunting wear and novelty items. It also opened shops in Beverly Hills, Dallas, and (by the mid-1980s) New York City. Finally, in 1988, Oshman's sold the company name and operations to The Limited, a clothing-chain operator based in Columbus, Ohio.
{I have to hunt up the page in Cartoon Cavalcade that outlines the training of an (original) A&F sales clerk...)
=====================
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Why would anyone go out in public in that? It's meant for exercise. Am I the odd duck that thinks that exercise wear should stay in the gym or at home for working out?

And yeah, if you wear Yoga pants as they are intended, and you have to yanno, work out to get fit, that area will eventually wear out, but if it is doing it right away, it's a BAD thing.
Right after I had my son, I was 174 lbs(Roughly 79Kg ). At 5'3", it made me look corpulent. I did heavy workouts(and baby Yoga with my then infant son), and dropped down to 118 lbs(about 54 Kg) after nine months. I decided to put a bit more back on as muscle so I don't look sickly(and so that my chest could have some support{as big chests and small frames=lower back problems}).
I wore out several Yoga outfits because of the wear and tear I put on them. It was not, however, my fault for being a larger Woman that it wore out, and if it got messed up that fast, I'd definitely complain that the product is faulty. Typically at my larger size, I went through a pair of yoga pants every three months(washing and wear an tear on them). These days, Not as much, as I cut back on my workout routine to one more suited to my busy schedule, and as such, seven months later, my Yoga pants are holding up well.

Mundane things like Grocery shopping and PTO meetings, one should be dressed properly(Jeans and a tshirt is as sloppy as I can go into the grocers). I cannot stand when I see parents going to the school in pajama bottoms or workout outfits. Our kids need everyone to see us dressed appropriately for talking to the teachers and principal.

Hell, I cannot even go out the front door to get my child on the bus unless I have proper trousers on. I can honestly say in the almost six years my son has been in school, I have only dashed outside with pajama pants once, and I was embarrassed for weeks about it.

I may not wear makeup this early, but my hair is always brushed out, tied or clipped back, and I wear jeans and a tshirt or sweater to see him off to school(even if I stumble back into my sleepwear to nap after he has gone off to school).

Perhaps I am a bit too stuck up about this, but I just cannot embarrass my son by looking sloppy(especially when he likes to wear Polos and Chinos to school{I have to fight to get him to wear tshirts and jeans, and he will NEVER wear shorts or sandals--he says they are too sloppy for school}).

The class was all oohs and ahhs when he went there in his dress shirt, suit pants, and double Windsor knotted tie to school(so that he did not have to do so much work to get ready in his Sherlock outfit for the Halloween party). He said if he could get away with it, he'd go that way every day.
I could not be more proud of him.

Am I just being overly sensitive?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:

Yoga is all about poses (which of course involve movement to achieve)...but I think that guy was referencing the fact that some women's thighs touch when they stand with their feet together...and some women (mostly stick shaped ones) have a gap between their thighs when standing that way (as shown below).

Women should not want to look this skinny.jpg

Apparently the skinny females are the only ones who are "supposed" to shop at Lululemon. Nevermind the fact that some fit and toned women have thighs that touch, but would otherwise be well suited to Lululemon's apparel. :roll: I get that this company may not be designing and selling clothing for larger or more curvy figures...but they apparently make clothing up to size 12...and most of the size 12 women I've met have thighs that touch...and fairly round derrieres that would strech the fabric to a potential see-through state.

*shrugs* Any way you look at it, this guy is an idiot and a bit of a jerk IMO. I think I'll classify him right up there with the folks running that company ...was it Abercrombie & Fitch or Banana Republic...well one of the heads of that company flat out said that they only wanted the attractive and popular kids shopping at their stores. Obviously their pig-headed and borderline offensive attitudes aren't hurting sales figures enough for them to care, but it's still pretty sick. :evil:
This, and when I was working out heavily to get myself down to a safe and sane weight for my height, my thighs still touched because they were muscled. I'd never be able to wear those clothes, nor would I want to if they are that cheaply made.
A&F can suck it! I despise them so much. They and their "perfect" crowd can go jump in the lake. Their clothing is also so poorly tailored. My Mother HATES whenever someone comes in with alterations for those, because she essentially has to make a pair of jeans or make a shirt, as the stitching always comes apart. Out of ten pairs of jeans, nine times the client comes in two weeks to a month later to have holes patched up because the distressing is so heavily done the fabrics integrity is severly impaired.
At 118 lbs, my legs had a lot of muscle, and were not that skinny. The only time I looked like that, I was in High school, and I considered myself unhealthy skinny(though the doctors said I was overweight by 8 lbs(I tricked my parents into getting a new doctor at that point).
I was happiest(before I had my son), when I was a bit larger and had muscles(took my Mother forever to realise my weight was due to all the muscles I had, and though I wore a 4, I was heavier than that number implied).

I am currently happy with my weight, but I do need to get my muscle tone back, so I might have to ramp up my workouts a bit for a few months to burn off the depression related sponge.

EDIT: Speaking of the that addict page, I looked it up, and technically, even this fan and her friends do not fit the image the company's CEO wants for his brand, but they like the styles(though I think most are dreadful). This guy has a lovely imaginative brain, seeing as how he thinks even the thin is in crowd would want pants that rip after a couple of wears, or see through bums. Just my 2cp.

Yeah, I think Monica would be the perfect person to introduce him to reality.

I wish I could still do some of those poses, but sadly, I'd need MONTHS of prep work to even think of attempting it. My snap kicks from years ago of practicing Tae Kwon Do with my little sister are not quite as high as they used to be...*sigh*

--Safyr Drathmir