Thank Me Later 2013-09-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Thank Me Later 2013-09-11

Post by Yamara »

MerchManDan wrote:
zachariah wrote:You is righter. Sorry should have said take a photo of them.
Ah, I see what you mean now. And I agree, a photo of this would be priceless.
I'm sure someone working for Mr Murdoch could come up with a ballpark figure. Then it wouldn't be Phix Tina would have to worry about, it would be Bud.

Our Winged Lady strikes me as too responsible to let that happen, though. Also, video. Video of semiconscious Jet squirming happily atop M, on Dailymotion: "Mmmm no, you freaks! Get away! Get awaaay from me--- yesyes! Stop it! Yes!" Not gonna happen, black wings are in the house.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Should also point out that, technically speaking, in this page Monica has been both naive, and a pushover.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Mark N wrote:Looks like we will finally know who 'Wings' is after all of this is over. (Sorry, the winged part of Tina has been peeking out for a long time now and it never has seemed to be a standard demon to me.)
I'll vote that Blackwing is Empathy: It knows what's going on, and wants to make it right.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

...aaaaaaand Blackwing for the WIN!!!!

Yaaaaaaay Blackwing!!!!! heeeeeeee!!!!!

Monica self motorboating? That has to be some kind of record. Blackwing should get video... if only to give to Monica for a laugh! pbltpbltpbltpbltpblp!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yeah...this page just made Tina a new kind of creepy for me. Not sure I can clearly articulate why...though I know it doesn't help at all that I heard her say "Sleeeep!" in creepy-old-fashioned-stage-performing-hypnotist voice, but that's not the entirety of what made my skin crawl a bit today. :( I can only hope that things turn out well.
zachariah wrote:Wings is not your typical demon. I can't figure out which emotion it represents at all. It's behavior does not fit what most of them are. The best fit I can think of is the cold blooded, practical emotion of determination. Very cold and hard determination. Not your typical emotion at all. But it could be as Tina was hard enough to turn her own family in and testify against him.
I dunno...while the winged-one's behavior might be determined, I wouldn't call it "cold" or "hard"... It actually seems caring in an oddly creepy way.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Julie wrote:Yeah...this page just made Tina a new kind of creepy for me. Not sure I can clearly articulate why...though I know it doesn't help at all that I heard her say "Sleeeep!" in creepy-old-fashioned-stage-performing-hypnotist voice, but that's not the entirety of what made my skin crawl a bit today. :( I can only hope that things turn out well.
zachariah wrote:Wings is not your typical demon. I can't figure out which emotion it represents at all. It's behavior does not fit what most of them are. The best fit I can think of is the cold blooded, practical emotion of determination. Very cold and hard determination. Not your typical emotion at all. But it could be as Tina was hard enough to turn her own family in and testify against him.
I dunno...while the winged-one's behavior might be determined, I wouldn't call it "cold" or "hard"... It actually seems caring in an oddly creepy way.
Notice too that the only time Blackwing comes out to play is in defense of Monica (note especially the time she knocked Monica's and Jin's demons' heads)... I don't think I've seen Blackwing in any other situation other than protecting Monica... The real Tina is gone... in that instant, Tina's demons latched on to the only other human she could at that moment. She couldn't get in because of Monica's own demons, but seemingly chose to follow and look after Monica. I think the collective Tina has become rather attached to Monica and will to anything to stay with her. The only alternative is to be recycled back into the demon pool to be reassigned... possibly separately.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Random thought: I wonder what Mayahuel's up to these days.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:Notice too that the only time Blackwing comes out to play is in defense of Monica (note especially the time she knocked Monica's and Jin's demons' heads)... I don't think I've seen Blackwing in any other situation other than protecting Monica... The real Tina is gone... in that instant, Tina's demons latched on to the only other human she could at that moment. She couldn't get in because of Monica's own demons, but seemingly chose to follow and look after Monica. I think the collective Tina has become rather attached to Monica and will to anything to stay with her. The only alternative is to be recycled back into the demon pool to be reassigned... possibly separately.
Interesting thought.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think this definitely deserves some musical backing... and I think I know of one which seems strangely appropriate.
illiad

Post by illiad »

well if you have seen boobplant (its up on the last page!! :D ) , I found a reply that explains more... :)
- to stop the click-junkies, you will have to google for the name inside that youtube link... :) the author has already had too much spam...:/ :/
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Atomic wrote:
Mark N wrote:Looks like we will finally know who 'Wings' is after all of this is over. (Sorry, the winged part of Tina has been peeking out for a long time now and it never has seemed to be a standard demon to me.)
I'll vote that Blackwing is Empathy: It knows what's going on, and wants to make it right.
Empathy would not be a demon. If anything it would be an angel. Now there's a wild thought. Could Black Wing be a fallen angel caught in the demon world and then assigned like one? (The ones making the assignments probably don't pay that much attention and just assign then as needed.) If so after a long enough time might it not seek redemption?

It could also be a unknown spirit that joined the crew like Nudge did. We know that Nudge did join them to hide from Phix but it was never explained how she got involved with Tina. Is it unreasonable that another hitch hiker sneaked in for a ride?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

shadowinthelight wrote:*boobplant* Best sound effect evar.
That there's a fine unsound effect you've got there, young man. 8-)

Also, few characters share Tina's power to call in cleavage dives.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:
Atomic wrote:
Empathy would not be a demon. If anything it would be an angel. Now there's a wild thought. Could Black Wing be a fallen angel caught in the demon world and then assigned like one? (The ones making the assignments probably don't pay that much attention and just assign then as needed.) If so after a long enough time might it not seek redemption?
Hmmm. We know that there was some demonic collusion involved in setting up the Big Accident which killed Tina-1, nearly killed Monica, and resulted in the creation of Conscience as an individual "coven" entity (apparently out of Shelly's covey of demons, and Tina-1's human soul). This was what got both the Tina covey and the Conscience coven punished via memory-erasure.

We never did get an answer to the question Conscience asked. Who, or what, was it that set this incident in motion, and knew about the "demons + soul -> individual that the sphinxes will not harm" trick when the demons as a whole seemingly do not?

Could Blackwing be that "player", I wonder? Perhaps a fallen angel as you suggest (or some other immortal of similar characteristics)?
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

She is the terror that flaps in the night. . .?
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
as363

Post by as363 »

Be Afwaid - Be werry Werry Afwaid (Elmer Fudd TMR)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Sleeeeeeep!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:We never did get an answer to the question Conscience asked. Who, or what, was it that set this incident in motion, and knew about the "demons + soul -> individual that the sphinxes will not harm" trick when the demons as a whole seemingly do not?

Could Blackwing be that "player", I wonder? Perhaps a fallen angel as you suggest (or some other immortal of similar characteristics)?
The answer to the question could have been in the strip by what Nudge was doing without Connie being aware of it. That would mean that Nudge told her what to do. As far as Blackwing, she may very well be part of the What you may become that Phix was talking about. The group are, over time, becoming one, maybe even a new soul.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:
Dave wrote:We never did get an answer to the question Conscience asked. Who, or what, was it that set this incident in motion, and knew about the "demons + soul -> individual that the sphinxes will not harm" trick when the demons as a whole seemingly do not?

The answer to the question could have been in the strip by what Nudge was doing without Connie being aware of it. That would mean that Nudge told her what to do.
That could be... but for that to be true, Nudge would have to be a bald-faced liar (or would have had to have her own memory erased at some point).

Shelly and Connie had gone to ask Nudge about this very question (since it was Nudge who had lured Shelly into the wilderness to nearly die). Nudge explicitly denied having known anything about the whole "demons/soul/hybrid" issue at all... it's in the previous day's strip. She seems to have been simply following Shelly-sphinx's instructions from the Time Forest, to make sure that (younger) Shelly nearly died, and (according to her) was doing it without really knowing why.

We know Nudge is a trickster, but I don't think we've been shown that she'll lie in the face of a direct question.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Particularly, i'd say, not to a friend.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
Mark N wrote:

The answer to the question could have been in the strip by what Nudge was doing without Connie being aware of it. That would mean that Nudge told her what to do.
That could be... but for that to be true, Nudge would have to be a bald-faced liar (or would have had to have her own memory erased at some point).

Shelly and Connie had gone to ask Nudge about this very question (since it was Nudge who had lured Shelly into the wilderness to nearly die). Nudge explicitly denied having known anything about the whole "demons/soul/hybrid" issue at all... it's in the previous day's strip. She seems to have been simply following Shelly-sphinx's instructions from the Time Forest, to make sure that (younger) Shelly nearly died, and (according to her) was doing it without really knowing why.

We know Nudge is a trickster, but I don't think we've been shown that she'll lie in the face of a direct question.
Interesting points. But this one a bit further back raises a point. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/sink-in/.
The demons were blocking the soul doorways to prevent Monica's soul from escaping and they did. It was that event that made Monica into a glyph reader. But it is also implied that Tina's doorway was blocked as well. If it was then where did the soul go? It did not go back to Tina, or did it? Nudge joined the group at some point and got them up and moving at the morgue but Tina's soul may have been there as well. Maybe it was outside the body long enough to forget who it was, or was unable to regain control. We don't know her state of mind but it was bad enough that the demons could cause the car to hit the bus. If Tina's soul was roaming free long enough it could have transformed into something else. Maybe Black Wing? Maybe something else. But all we can really say is we do not know what happened to Tina;s soul but it did not take the doorway.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.