She Wants You 2013-09-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
kingklash

Re: She Wants You 2013-09-05

Post by kingklash »

"Watson, come here! I need you!
I've always needed you!"
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Of course, Georgette might be the normal one here, and you just have two individuals who are +3 in empathy skills who've just overwhelmed her.
That's certainly possible... but we've never seen Tina go into uncontrollable-gush mode anywhere nearly this badly before, and Monica has never been overwhelmed into an illusory fugue and hasn't shown signs of extreme empathic sensitivity since leveling up to sub-titan status.

So, it feels like there's a different element present, and that almost has to be something about Georgette. It's likely a combo situation... +3 radiator meets a +3 sensitive on the street, and both end up lightly toasted by the resulting zap!

I wonder whether she's been prone to radiate her needs and feelings strongly enough to affect even mundanes to some extent? In her previous encounter with Monica, Georgette said something about needing to upgrade to a better class of friends, because the friends she had weren't showing up for her. If she's been projecting her feeling enough for people to sense (even if not overwhelming them as she did with Monica and Tina) it could have been rather disquieting for her friends. Even if they didn't really understand what was happening, it might have been uncomfortable or embarrassing enough for her friends to "pull away" to a safer distance.

Paradoxically, the strength of her need (e.g. for closeness) could have driven people away.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Dave wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Hehe, somebody looks embarrassed.
She blushes cutely, too.

Interesting that it's one specific entity within Tina saying "She needs you. She wants you." It's not the whole collective speaking. Is this the same single speaker who said "Intriguing!" to Georgette during the big involuntary reading?
Maybe Lust is trying to pull off a coup.

The fist Monica is making seems to say, "Touched me or not, if it happens again I'm going to knock her into next Sunday's Calvin and Hobbs."
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

kingklash wrote:"Watson, come here! I need you!
I've always needed you!"
+1

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

zachariah wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:OK this sometimes happens to me, people will start saying exactly what I'm thinking down to the emphasis on the syllables and other emotional cues. But I guess if I was around people like Tina and Monica they would get the same thing as Jet just did? Remind me to avoid Mucha Mocha my next trip to Minneapolis/St.Paul.
It's not projective talent. It is simply great minds work alike.

Or

They can read you like a book.

If it was projective it would happen more often than sometimes.
Or I learned to rein it in and stop doing that... :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote:Or I learned to rein it in and stop doing that... :ugeek:
Or displace the effect to somewhere other than your immediate neighborhood.

For all you know, there's some poor guy in Omaha or Abu Dhabi who has developed the unfortunate habit of breaking into song, every time you start listening to the radio. :twisted:
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

txmystic wrote:
I've always needed you!"
+1

With over fourty years of TV in my noggin, I can occasionaly pull an old punchline out that fits the situation. Usually it's like a Junkion Roundtable Discussion up in there.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:
Ohnhai wrote:
displaced wrote:not sure what to call her. an empath feels what others feel, she's projecting her feelings into others.
think they are called 'Pushers'
Those are PK's, not PE's. Not sure what would be a good handle, maybe Projector? But not Pusher, the police can become very easily confused these days.

I don't think she gathers emotions either. I think she just projects her own. Her projected need is what pulled Tina into doing her read on Georgette.
In allomancy (Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Series), the emotional pushers are called Rioters, and the emotional pullers are Soothers--but they only enflame or soothe the emotions already in the other person(s). So it's not quite the same.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Of course, Georgette might be the normal one here, and you just have two individuals who are +3 in empathy skills who've just overwhelmed her.
That's certainly possible... but we've never seen Tina go into uncontrollable-gush mode anywhere nearly this badly before, and Monica has never been overwhelmed into an illusory fugue and hasn't shown signs of extreme empathic sensitivity since leveling up to sub-titan status.
Monica has had unwelcome physical contact defining a lot of her interactions lately (including her own throwing punches at sphinxes), but I would say that this is the first one where the contact itself was an illusion.

Reality has been wearing thin around her. It always has, I suppose, but specifically, this echoes her "boa-constrictor" kiss with Kevin-- http://wapsisquare.com/comic/get-a-room/ --which Tina described as a projection of "her five-year-old self": an age where imagination makes fantasy seem real.

And then there was lashing out at Nudge, which upon coming back to her humanity, Monica described as, "Like I was dreaming".

M is going to have to learn the parameters of all these worlds and visions she's broaching if she wants to keep her responsibilities straight.*

Dave wrote:Paradoxically, the strength of her need (e.g. for closeness) could have driven people away.
Good point.

Before M was summoned, Jet was already affecting Tina, and "intriguing" an independent within. So whatever element is in play here, it came in with Jet.

*PunPal has charged me a pot o'Macedonian staters.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

txmystic wrote:
I've always needed you!"
+1

And this is why Sherlock's Fandom went rabid and puked all over the fan-scribblings boards.

Even Sherlock's Actor has mentioned it in an interview or three...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Or I learned to rein it in and stop doing that... :ugeek:
Or displace the effect to somewhere other than your immediate neighborhood.

For all you know, there's some poor guy in Omaha or Abu Dhabi who has developed the unfortunate habit of breaking into song, every time you start listening to the radio. :twisted:
Well the boarder has been acting "funny" around me the last few years. Especially after my second pot of coffee... And she got really upset when I replaced the (broken) 12 cup coffee maker with one that only makes 5 cups. I used to drain the 12 cup twice in a day, now I only drink one pot from the 5 cup maker.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I've always needed you!"
I'm still not sure what Alexander Graham Bell has to do with all this.
Are they making S'mores?
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

DinkyInky wrote:
txmystic wrote:
I've always needed you!"
+1

And this is why Sherlock's Fandom went rabid and puked all over the fan-scribblings boards.

Even Sherlock's Actor has mentioned it in an interview or three...
Odd, I thought the joke referred to A.G. Bell's accident when he discovered his experimental telephone worked?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

BTW: For those quoting/playing with Beatles lyrics, Georgette isn't so heavy.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:BTW: For those quoting/playing with Beatles lyrics, Georgette isn't so heavy.
Extreme dieting now, is she? She said that she was able to eat anything at all without gaining weight, but maybe that isn't true nowadays, and she's joined her fellow models in having one low-calorie sandwich for lunch and nothing much else.

♪ We're all eating a jello submarine.... ♪
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Pun Jar would like a donation of a bass snare drum autographed by one Richard Starkey from Liverpool, please.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

A quick visit to Google Images yielded this beauty. I found the description a bit harsh, but then again I don't know much about art; I just know what I like. The sharks face is my favourite part.

Click for full-size. You know you want to.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Fairportfan wrote:BTW: For those quoting/playing with Beatles lyrics, Georgette isn't so heavy.
In which sense? Lessee ...

heavy, adjective
[...]
7. deep or intense; profound: a heavy thinker; heavy slumber.
[...]
10. hard to cope with; trying; difficult: a heavy task.
[...]
15. depressed with trouble or sorrow; showing sorrow; sad: a heavy heart.
[...]
25. sober, serious, or somber: a heavy part in a drama.
[...]
27. Slang.
- a. very good; excellent.
- b. very serious or important: a really heavy relationship.
[...]
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:A quick visit to Google Images yielded this beauty. I found the description a bit harsh, but then again I don't know much about art; I just know what I like. The sharks face is my favourite part.

Click for full-size. You know you want to.
So i went there. And what to my wondering eyes shoud appear but this:

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

I like this theory that Jet's a projective empath. Granted, I think Monica and Tina are empaths as well (after a fashion...since Tina mostly reads auras...which could be interpreted to be linked to emotion...and M can at the very least read people's fears), but if you put an emotionally wobbly projective empath in a room with receptive empaths, I'd bet that you'd get the over-powered readings that both Tina and M experienced... Makes perfect sense to me! :)
txmystic wrote:I said, pass the brats!
Sorry! I wasn't here to watch the grill...but they're ready now! :) *passes the brats*
shadowinthelight wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:What's black and white and red all over?
A panda losing a boxing match?
A zebra that lost to a lion in a footrace? :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."