Out of the blue 2013-09-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Out of the blue 2013-08-03

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:
zachariah wrote:The nickname Jet probably has two sources. One she is always traveling at high speed, even as a kid. Always moving, going, and doing. Thus her sister nicknamed her. The other choice is a shortened form of her name G'ette which was easily shortened to Jet as the G sound can often sound like a J. So instead of calling for Georgette she called. 'Hey Jet! Get you butt home for supper!'

While Jet may be easier to type it can also be confusing to those who don't know about it. Though that cannot be many the number of times it has been explained. I'll stick to Georgette simply by preference.

I wonder if Georgette could be a projective empath without knowing it.
If you're an empath, believe me, you are acutely aware of it. You can't help it. Think about it this way... An empath feels everything around them... they can't help it, it just floods in, just as psychoanalysis floods out of Tina. With Tina, the more strong the roiled emotions, the more she's driven to analyze... with Jet it could be that the stronger the emotion she's exposed to, the more it effects her (normal for empaths). Oddly, I've always thought of Jet as quiet and reserved, like she was hiding something within herself she didn't want people to see. Monica poiting in ready for bear overloaded Jet's ability to manage and triggered her reaction. We're still in the dark so to speak whether or not that was a real time or dream sequence kiss and grope... Could Jet's worst fear have been Monica finding out that she harbored fantasies about her? In that last panel, I'm not so sure that's anger on Monica's face... It looks like surprised embarrassment.
That is why I said projective empath. This is something else entirely. An empath receives, a projective sends. It may or may not be under their control. She wouldn't need to be a strong one either as Monica can pick up the signals better. If it is a mental image then Georgette could have sent it and pulled Monica into it. Then they both experienced it. Monica would be really surprised by it and could easily mistake it for a real event, not a mental event. She might afterwards, but during she would be reacting to the impulse and responding to them. That would be why she appeared to be returning Georgette's response, her arms were around Georgette at the end and she was involved in the kiss not just frozen in surprise. Then she realized what was happening and at the end pulled out of the link.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

zachariah wrote:That is why I said projective empath. This is something else entirely. An empath receives, a projective sends. It may or may not be under their control. She wouldn't need to be a strong one either as Monica can pick up the signals better. If it is a mental image then Georgette could have sent it and pulled Monica into it. Then they both experienced it. Monica would be really surprised by it and could easily mistake it for a real event, not a mental event. She might afterwards, but during she would be reacting to the impulse and responding to them. That would be why she appeared to be returning Georgette's response, her arms were around Georgette at the end and she was involved in the kiss not just frozen in surprise. Then she realized what was happening and at the end pulled out of the link.
Oh snap, what if why that's why the plane crashed? Scenario: Jet gets scared of heights, and broadcasts it to everyone in the plane. The pilot gets blindsided by the onslaught and can't keep control of the plane. The plane starts to crash, which makes Jet even more scared, and creates a feedback loop that keeps everyone emotionally paralyzed until it crashes. Jet spends the rest of her life building barriers between herself and other people to keep her unacknowledged abilities from hurting anyone else, Tina breaks down the barriers, and now her powers are manifesting again.
Avenger_Reloaded

Re: Out of the blue 2013-09-03

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

Okay. Home sick and seeing this completely differently.

What if, Jet was saved in the crash by a Jaguar girl. A guardian angel bathed in flame. Thus the whole meaning behind, "It's you" changes. It's not Monica she needs exactly but the Jaguar girl who saved her. Since the other Jaguar girl is not on speed dial Monica is what she needs.
So what does she do when she sees her angel of fire appear before her? Gives her a loving kiss to thank her. A little too loving for sure. It's likely Jet thought she'd never see her again.

Some questions arise and I think it's been debated before but I do not recall the answer. Is there more than one Jaguar girl? If there is only one what happened to the previous one? There had to at least have been a previous one for Shelly and Bud to find something to refer to when figuring out Monica's the Jaguar girl.

Monica's been blindsided by many a kiss in thawing. I can only guess that her petrified state in those instances prevented her from perceiving the kiss to its complete extent. This time while blindsided she quickly became aware of what was going on. Thus her reaction today.

That's all I can ramble on about for the moment. I'll probably take another five hour nap after this. Sick is not fun, especially when naps cut into your conscious hours.
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

kingklash wrote:So, people want to be with her, instead of wanting to be with her. That's what M saw last time, Superficial vs. Substantial, Veneer instead of Foundation. Georgette may know this, but since it has been her life for so long, she may be scared to examine it too close.
Yeah. The camera always catches us lying, but it's still up to us to figure out the truth.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Atomic wrote:
Yamara wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:Another "jaguar Girl" gift.
Good point. I think M's telepathy is (still) limited to her golems, but this could be the power Shelly didn't list, the ability to see anyone's worst fear.

Kissing Monica is Jet's worst fear?
Excellent catch! I'd overlooked that JG aspect. Besides, "She has the mind of a sociopath, but the heart of a lion!" Looks like Monica isn't fully in charge of her Jaguar skills yet.

Or, maybe she is!
Avenger_Reloaded seems to think so. If the Sundahls crashed the same time that Tina & Monica were in the bus accident, and Shelly was dying in the wilderness, then M & J might have met in The Hallway before.

That would suggest Jet had become another of those "open doorways"...

You'd think Someone would have taken that into account.
zachariah wrote:The nickname Jet probably has two sources. One she is always traveling at high speed, even as a kid. Always moving, going, and doing. Thus her sister nicknamed her. The other choice is a shortened form of her name G'ette which was easily shortened to Jet as the G sound can often sound like a J.
Timotheus wrote:The 'Jet' nickname is much easier to explain. Georgette gets reduced to 'gette in common use which is heard as "jet" in normal pronunciation. She was probably called "Jet" way before the plane crash.

If Jet was the nickname her sister gave her before the plane accident, it was also before her modelling career.

So it's possible that Jet invented a stage name based on the nickname her sister gave her. Something like "Gorgeous+Jet=Georgette".

Though, of course... that would mean her birth name wasn't Georgette.

. . . . . P to Q3?
QBxP

Renfield wrote:
Hnnn hnnn hnnn hnnnn.

PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Avenger_Reloaded wrote: Some questions arise and I think it's been debated before but I do not recall the answer. Is there more than one Jaguar girl? If there is only one what happened to the previous one? There had to at least have been a previous one for Shelly and Bud to find something to refer to when figuring out Monica's the Jaguar girl.
there has likely been many Jaguar women and men what we don't know is if they were immortal not tho.

jaguar girl thing comes mayan priesthood where jaguars are seen as go between for the land of the living and land of the dead. so there were likely alot of Jaguar prists at one time but Mon's immortality seems to come from the key in her head which shilly said had phoenix blood in it and that's not normally part of the Jaguar person package I'd guess. this leads me to say all other jaguar people should grow old then die like everyone else.

tho I could be completely wrong
Amethyst Shadow

Post by Amethyst Shadow »

This is going to be an endlessly amusing conversation when/if it ever comes up with Kevin :lol:

Though with Mon becoming full on Jaguar Girl now, I think a chick smooching her out of the blue would be an after thought in any relationship discussion.

On a side note...

Lip bite pull away.... HOT!!! :oops:
"There is no true equity of power. There is only more and less."
Swedish Chef

Post by Swedish Chef »

Both girls posture are calling in the last panel.

M's arms crossed over her chest but bending forward; Jet's arms are open but she's slightly moving backward, stance on defence.I wonder if Jet is the real culprit here.

Also, law of comedy imply Kevin just opened the door and is now picking his jaw off the floor.

Not that they're nothing else but pretty on the arm, still I miss the boy crowd.
Lurk lurk lurk!
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

shadowinthelight wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:Cue Mr. Barry White! :twisted:
Barry White would have been playing for the previous two pages. Today's soundtrack is a record scratch.
:lol:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Swedish Chef wrote:Both girls posture are calling in the last panel.
Also, law of comedy imply Kevin just opened the door and is now picking his jaw off the floor.
Door's locked - remember Tina's 911? She told Monica the door was locked and no-one would see.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
Swedish Chef wrote:Both girls posture are calling in the last panel.
Door's locked - remember Tina's 911? She told Monica the door was locked and no-one would see.
You can see a lot of Minneapolis from the inside of that shop...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

ActionKermit wrote:
zachariah wrote:That is why I said projective empath. This is something else entirely. An empath receives, a projective sends. It may or may not be under their control. She wouldn't need to be a strong one either as Monica can pick up the signals better. If it is a mental image then Georgette could have sent it and pulled Monica into it. Then they both experienced it. Monica would be really surprised by it and could easily mistake it for a real event, not a mental event. She might afterwards, but during she would be reacting to the impulse and responding to them. That would be why she appeared to be returning Georgette's response, her arms were around Georgette at the end and she was involved in the kiss not just frozen in surprise. Then she realized what was happening and at the end pulled out of the link.
Oh snap, what if why that's why the plane crashed? Scenario: Jet gets scared of heights, and broadcasts it to everyone in the plane. The pilot gets blindsided by the onslaught and can't keep control of the plane. The plane starts to crash, which makes Jet even more scared, and creates a feedback loop that keeps everyone emotionally paralyzed until it crashes. Jet spends the rest of her life building barriers between herself and other people to keep her unacknowledged abilities from hurting anyone else, Tina breaks down the barriers, and now her powers are manifesting again.
Maybe but most of these type gifts tend to start manifesting during, or after puberty. It's almost like a self defense trait in them to prevent a young mind from having to cope with something they are not ready for yet, or the stress of it causes it to manifest. Monica started early but her gifts were forced to appear early by Jin.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Door's locked - remember Tina's 911? She told Monica the door was locked and no-one would see.
You can see a lot of Minneapolis from the inside of that shop...
And the icon of the Blessed Virgin, wreathed in light, is peeking demurely over Monica's shoulder. A nice touch for this particular scene, I thought ;)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

zachariah wrote: Maybe but most of these type gifts tend to start manifesting during, or after puberty. It's almost like a self defense trait in them to prevent a young mind from having to cope with something they are not ready for yet, or the stress of it causes it to manifest. Monica started early but her gifts were forced to appear early by Jin.
Problem with your idea is that the idea of "gifts" developing at puberty is rooted in comic books and movies not in scientific facts. if Paul has done anything consistently over the years it is turning popular belief on its ear and show the info from the myth's were mostly full of hype.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Mark N wrote:
zachariah wrote: Maybe but most of these type gifts tend to start manifesting during, or after puberty. It's almost like a self defense trait in them to prevent a young mind from having to cope with something they are not ready for yet, or the stress of it causes it to manifest. Monica started early but her gifts were forced to appear early by Jin.
Problem with your idea is that the idea of "gifts" developing at puberty is rooted in comic books and movies not in scientific facts. if Paul has done anything consistently over the years it is turning popular belief on its ear and show the info from the myth's were mostly full of hype.
And the "gifts" sometimes manifest waaaaay early.

They get shut down. Hard. Usually by well-meaning family. They can re-manifest during puberty, as it is a highly charged event in physical, mental, and psychological ways in a young persons life, and be twice as scary and unpredictable. Again, it can and usually is, shut down by well-meaning family. When it comes crashing back down as an adult? Dangerous.

If it were me, and happened to my kids? I'd find the nearest Talent, and have them help adjust my family into getting used to all the "gifts" being presented. Then again, I'm half Asian, so some of the mysticism and mumbo-jumbo that is strange in say, my Polish Catholic upbringing is not quite as odd, and leaves room for investigation. They still hate me for wearing white to a funeral(or green in the case of my favourite Aunt).

Yeaaaah, define strange.

Just my 2cp.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:.If it were me, and happened to my kids? I'd find the nearest Talent, and have them help adjust my family into getting used to all the "gifts" being presented. Then again, I'm half Asian, so some of the mysticism and mumbo-jumbo that is strange in say, my Polish Catholic upbringing is not quite as odd, and leaves room for investigation. They still hate me for wearing white to a funeral(or green in the case of my favourite Aunt).

Yeaaaah, define strange.
Gotta wonder, though. If a child exhibits a truly dangerous and horrifying Gift at a young age (say, a preternatural skill with the accordion), would some form of extreme suppression or exorcism by the parents be justified?

Not all gifts are good, or even morally neutral. I'm not sure whether even the best parental intentions, loving support, and a good upbringing can turn Polka into a virtue. ;)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:.If it were me, and happened to my kids? I'd find the nearest Talent, and have them help adjust my family into getting used to all the "gifts" being presented. Then again, I'm half Asian, so some of the mysticism and mumbo-jumbo that is strange in say, my Polish Catholic upbringing is not quite as odd, and leaves room for investigation. They still hate me for wearing white to a funeral(or green in the case of my favourite Aunt).

Yeaaaah, define strange.
Gotta wonder, though. If a child exhibits a truly dangerous and horrifying Gift at a young age (say, a preternatural skill with the accordion), would some form of extreme suppression or exorcism by the parents be justified?

Not all gifts are good, or even morally neutral. I'm not sure whether even the best parental intentions, loving support, and a good upbringing can turn Polka into a virtue. ;)
The "accordion" skills worked out well for Weird Al Yankovic.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Mark N wrote:The "accordion" skills worked out well for Weird Al Yankovic.
Ah, but that was family heritage... his dad was a respected Polka musician.
Last edited by AmriloJim on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Mark N wrote:
Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:If it were me, and happened to my kids? I'd find the nearest Talent, and have them help adjust my family into getting used to all the "gifts" being presented.
The "accordion" skills worked out well for Weird Al Yankovic.
From Rev Dr. Martin Luther King:
  • It was Longfellow who said, “The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night.” And I urge you today to realize that doors of opportunities are opening now that were not open to our mothers and our fathers. And the great challenge facing each of you today is to be ready to enter these doors as they open.

Actually, Emerson wrote something in his journal that was much less euphonious. Anthologists after his death revised the words, and they have been honed by a kind of literary game of telephone into the version King noted. Read a bit more about the quote's history.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said on one occasion that if a man can write a better book, or preach a better sermon or make a better mousetrap than his neighbor, even if he builds his house in the woods the world will make a beaten path to his door.

That hasn’t always been true but it will be increasingly true.

So, set out to do a good job and do that job so well that the living, the dead, or the unborn couldn’t do it any better. And let me say that we’ve got to prepare now to compete with people. Many of our parents have been so scarred by years of denial and neglect that they cannot face the same challenges that we face. But I say to you that you have the opportunity to assert certain things and get ready to compete with people. Don’t set out merely to do a good Negro job. If you’re setting out one day to be a good Negro doctor or a good Negro lawyer or a good Negro schoolteacher or a good Negro preacher or a good Negro skilled laborer or a good Negro barber or beautician, you have already flunked your matriculation exam for entrance into the university of integration.

Set out to do a good job and do that job so well that nobody can do it any better.

If it falls your lot to be a streetsweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures.

Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry.

Sweep streets like Beethoven composed music.

Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say here lived a great streetsweeper who swept his job well.

This is what Douglas Malloch meant when he said, "If you can't be a pine on the top of the hill, be a scrub in the valley -- but be the best little scrub on the side of the hill. Be a bush, if you can't be a tree. If you can't be a highway, just be a trail. If you can't be the sun, be a star. It isn't by size that you win or you fail. Be the best of whatever you are!"
Source. Emphasis added
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:Gotta wonder, though. If a child exhibits a truly dangerous and horrifying Gift at a young age (say, a preternatural skill with the accordion), would some form of extreme suppression or exorcism by the parents be justified?

Ale ale ale kocham *polka*... *Polka* będzie chłodny znowu, wy będziecie widzieć! :P
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir