On Purpose 2013-08-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Re: On Purpose 2013-08-26

Post by TheDOCTOR »

TheDOCTOR wrote:I agree. A "Be careful what you wish for, You just might get it."-type moment. I was first thinking this is Georgette also, but there is a resemblance to the "Girl" McBride was 'trying to help'. Foreshadowing perhaps?
Nah! re=read this and thats definetly Georgette.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Sidhekin wrote:That's not explaining why the local, presumably Irish, lord's grave carried the Norse name of the World Tree ... it's not even handwaving an explanation ... it just bypasses the question in a flurry of words, hoping no one would notice. 8-)
Oh. ....Yes, well, one would have to assume that a Norseman with some knowledge of the paranormal put that there during the invasions of Ireland in the 8th-11th Centuries.

And we know it's not a Gaelic burial, it's the resting place of the Relic. So perhaps the name is meant honor Shelly's long sacrifice.
Last edited by Yamara on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Wyvern wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
as363 wrote:A Looker for sure (pant pant).. Anyone got a bead on the street sign in the first panel so that we can place where she is ?
30 1st Street North. She's standing outside the Origami Restaurant, corner of 1st and 1st (only in the Twin Cities).
Point your browser here to see the google view. This site is in keeping with long-term trends; we're seeing more places outside the neighborhood in the direction of downtown. (The plotted real world locations actually make a clear southwest-northeast line. Go figure.) And finding a sewer may be unnecessary; she's only about a block from the river as the sphinx flies.
The background looks like it was taken directly from Google Street View, or from the same angles in a different location. I don't think Paul steals Google images and I know he is a fairly decent photographer and is local to the area so maybe the similarity in the angles is due to just being there at the right spot.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Neveko wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I'm gonna point out something - if y'all don't have Pablo on Facebook, you'd have already known that this was not only Georgette, but you knew he actually thought people would biatch about it.
Wait, where did that second part happen? I finally managed to find his facebook thinger, but he doesn't mention anything about thinking people would complain about it.

In all honesty, the only thing I would really complain about is if Georgette DOES end up being a paranormal. Because. Seriously. We don't have enough side characters to keep track of let alone their weird powers to make them more "interesting."
And have we been bitching about it? Because I thought the posts so far showed we're interested in how she'll fit into the story. :) Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist though, and so I've been reading the posts with the wrong tone. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:And have we been bitching about it? Because I thought the posts so far showed we're interested in how she'll fit into the story. :) Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist though, and so I've been reading the posts with the wrong tone. :P
Oh, sure. Be all 'Happy' and 'Ray of Sunshine'-ey about it, why don't you?

;)
I'm with you, I'm interested in seeing Georgette's story.
(Und, any shtory vis Teena ees a good shtory!)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Point your browser here to see the google view. This site is in keeping with long-term trends; we're seeing more places outside the neighborhood in the direction of downtown. (The plotted real world locations actually make a clear southwest-northeast line. Go figure.) And finding a sewer may be unnecessary; she's only about a block from the river as the sphinx flies.
The background looks like it was taken directly from Google Street View, or from the same angles in a different location. I don't think Paul steals Google images and I know he is a fairly decent photographer and is local to the area so maybe the similarity in the angles is due to just being there at the right spot.
Yes, definitely. As you say, he's local for Minneapolis sites - and while some of the Wapsi Square backgrounds are similar to what can be gotten from Google, they're offset enough both in space and time that it's obvious he's not taking them from teh interwebz.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Neveko

Post by Neveko »

Julie wrote:
Neveko wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I'm gonna point out something - if y'all don't have Pablo on Facebook, you'd have already known that this was not only Georgette, but you knew he actually thought people would biatch about it.
Wait, where did that second part happen? I finally managed to find his facebook thinger, but he doesn't mention anything about thinking people would complain about it.

In all honesty, the only thing I would really complain about is if Georgette DOES end up being a paranormal. Because. Seriously. We don't have enough side characters to keep track of let alone their weird powers to make them more "interesting."
And have we been bitching about it? Because I thought the posts so far showed we're interested in how she'll fit into the story. :) Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist though, and so I've been reading the posts with the wrong tone. :P
I don't really see how that answers or directly relates to my question. :\
Julie

Post by Julie »

Neveko wrote:I don't really see how that answers or directly relates to my question. :\
I wasn't answering your question. :) I was adding my own question and commentary to yours...because I was also interested in seeing the answer to your question but had one of my own. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

August 26, spelling error, 2nd panel. "... my hometown. I know it better thAn anyone! ..."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Resurrecting an old thread because I wanted the address of the shop in the background... And found the comments to be, in retrospect, amusing.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

jwhouk wrote:Resurrecting an old thread because I wanted the address of the shop in the background... And found the comments to be, in retrospect, amusing.
Just for completeness sake...
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/on-purpose/