Take This Away 2013-07-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Take This Away 2013-07-02

Post by Dave »

My2Cents wrote:I think Paul just took complete and utter evil up to 11.

The women and babies are bad, but then she made everyone else watch just so it would hurt more.
Bud wasn't kidding when she said that the real Lanthian Nu Gui were worse than the later legends remembered! :shock:

And, poor Atsali... I think she now has history's worst-ever case of PTSD. The cruelly-prolonged death trauma and madness of an entire civilization, crowbarred into a teen's skull... :cry:

I don't suppose that by some fortunate chance there's a hypo full of Thorazine in somebody's pocket? She looks as if she needs short-term relief urgently while they figure out how to reverse the computer dump-to-brain and relieve her of the worst case of TMI ever seen.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

And perhaps we thought that Atsali and Kath's escape from the exploding mine was a roller coaster ride...

The fatal flaw in all finely wrought plans is the ability of someone to perform Alexander the Great's Gordian Knot solution - cut the sucker with your sword, and by so doing, completely break all the rules. The plan only seems complete and unbreakable within the assumed rule set; if its creator can't see beyond that rule set, then they're convinced of their own genius. Such a notion is often, if not always, a delusion. Genius has its limits.

It's been interesting to me in this whole story arc how Atsali has inspired such a range of emotive responses, all because she's a fifteen-year-old girl. Now we're seeing an outpouring of empathy for her pain and trauma. What's next as the needle swings wildly on the meter?
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Great Googly-Moogly!!! Thus far this whole experience from the very beginning has been like a Harry Potter on acid trip. It started out as a whimsical look into character development with a dash of mythology and spiritualism and now has turned into a heavy, dark, major pyre of demons, gods, demi-gods, mythology, history and science-fiction; blended and shaken, not stirred. I got on this roller-coaster, now I'm along for the ride wherever it may lead. Outstanding, Paul... were you ever considering a movie version? *Hands in air*..."WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Radical_Knight wrote:Outstanding, Paul... were you ever considering a movie version?
I want a Tina, Inc. tv series! While we're squeeing.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

eee wrote:Perhaps they can siphon the computer out of Atsali and send it into the data crystal with Nu Gui.
At which point the nü gui swaps places and goes into Atsali. She turns to face the camera for a freeze frame and we hear Vincent Price laughing.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Anybody getting a Dr. Phibes vibe from these events? Classic manipulation on so many levels.

Ick!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

SDO did say that Brandi seeded buffer crystals near stargate portals. We got two Anasazis ready to access what's left of the network through the local DHDs and dump the Computer out of Atsali's head, then they can deliver the filled crystal(s) to the Library. Or, at least move just the data out of the computer, and leave the Siren with a nice, clean, empty machine to fill with more positive information.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Timotheus wrote:To be honest I don't see how skinning herself alive would blank out the horrible images in her brain any better than any other form of extremely painful torture that would lead to a comatose state due to system shock and would not be a method most people would think of. I would have to say her selecting it would be either an act of author (a deliberate tie in) or have been somehow subconsciously planted in the computer data she has been downloaded with.
Atsali wanting to rip off her skin may be from the heat and static energy she is manifesting making her skin feel like it is going to burst. That and the idea that it would kill her which would end the torture. We should understand this soon (I hope.).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Dave wrote:Bud wasn't kidding when she said that the real Lanthian Nu Gui were worse than the later legends remembered! :shock:

And, poor Atsali... I think she now has history's worst-ever case of PTSD. The cruelly-prolonged death trauma and madness of an entire civilization, crowbarred into a teen's skull... :cry:
That's one thing I'm unclear on; Are some or all of the crystal people "in" Atsali? While in the crystal chamber, she said she was being told things by the people themselves, but this may have just been a local phenomena due to their essence being free in the chamber. That essence being finally destroyed by the self destruct mechanism. leaving Atsali with just the computer. I don't see how she could hold an entire civilization. That's a bit much, but who knows.
kingklash wrote:SDO did say that Brandi seeded buffer crystals near stargate portals. We got two Anasazis ready to access what's left of the network through the local DHDs and dump the Computer out of Atsali's head, then they can deliver the filled crystal(s) to the Library. Or, at least move just the data out of the computer, and leave the Siren with a nice, clean, empty machine to fill with more positive information.
If they do that, the best course would be to destroy the crystals and put an end to all this. No one gets the information, ever.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Atomic wrote:Anybody getting a Dr. Phibes vibe from these events? Classic manipulation on so many levels.

Ick!
"Wouldn't it be easy to spot if you're being manipulated?" Dear Shelly.

This is a bit grander than Phibes, and he was obsessed with Ancient Egypt. No, in order to erase an entire civilization, you need to do more than torture the select guilty, you need to obliterate the rising generation. Mary Shelley understood that. Even Joseph Smith understood that.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stillbeeveil/

We revisit that comic a lot, but I think its relevance is in high relief just now. Who is speaking in the last panel? Is it Nudge? Because that line is all about Brandi and the succubus.

Another thing I realized a couple hours ago: Bia is a geek.

I mean, it's right out there in the open with her obsessive rants and reading oceanographic papers and "brains don't work like that". But we don't quite notice because we meet her when she's being a snot with Charon, and then an callous c@&% with Shelly.

So Bia's sigil plastered all over Brandi and Atsali's faces should come as no surprise: This is all geeky supertech.

Bia's one claim to fame is being the personification of Force. But she'd rather tinker with cool stuff. Like mother like daughter. Also explains why she knows herself to be a screw-up: Her work is all over the Etheitian culture, which nevertheless magnified their doom. It appears the succubus played her as well as Brandi-- the nu gui may not be the central manipulator, but she was plainly in a long long struggle with Bia, even daring to mess with her family. And it's starting to look like Bud's friendship with Shelly was part of Bia's response. Bud is after all, a fancy machine, haunted by dreams of Bia; reminiscent of Pinocchio and Geppetto. A playmate for her abandoned daughter.

So Bia is the big geek in the family. After all, her sister is the jock.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Timotheus wrote:To be honest I don't see how skinning herself alive would blank out the horrible images in her brain any better than any other form of extremely painful torture that would lead to a comatose state due to system shock and would not be a method most people would think of. I would have to say her selecting it would be either an act of author (a deliberate tie in) or have been somehow subconsciously planted in the computer data she has been downloaded with.
I was just pondering (why remove her skin?) on that and logged in to suggest something.

What if the data from the computer is *not* stored in Atsali's brain like we are assuming, but instead somehow stored in a different organ of her body?

Her skin.

Kind of like an external hard drive for a computer.

Remove the drive = remove the data.

(which would still leave the operating system in Atsali's brain, but I doubt that is anywhere near as horrifying as the data/memories she is currently experiencing)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Radical_Knight wrote:Great Googly-Moogly!!! >>SNIPPAGE<< blended and shaken, not stirred.
Blended and Shaken... HA... This is either the Purée or the Frappé setting at the least!
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Tear off the skin...why? because merely watching someone slaughter a pig wont be enough to get the image out of her head--no more no less.

It is time for someone to get a memory wipe and reboot. :ugeek:

I am going to go out on a limb and say it is time for the Librarian to show up and put things right, or at least time for the flying bookworm to go back to the library and be put right.

this whole arc has me repeating a phrase from my First semester of German in 1978 "Wo ist Monica?"
(Monica ist im dein boot am den zea--unless you are are a smart aleck highschool student then Monika ist im dein boot im den zea, aber est ist eine unterwasser boot) :lol: :lol:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
as363

Post by as363 »

Read this early in the A.M. - it's taken me this long to come to grips with what we are witnessing. I did say that Mr P. likes to hit us with a "zinger" every now and then. I never mentions a 25 kiloton Hydrogen bomb. On a scale of 1 to 10 - this is a 15+. I think that those of us that think the Library could be the proper entity to solve the current problem - and perhaps the Library might have enough resources to clear the Gorgon's knot in Salis' mind could be on the right track.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

eee wrote:Perhaps they can siphon the computer out of Atsali and send it into the data crystal with Nu Gui.
Yes! YES!! This needs to happen!!
shadowinthelight wrote:At which point the nü gui swaps places and goes into Atsali. She turns to face the camera for a freeze frame and we hear Vincent Price laughing.
NO NO NO MUST NOT HAPPEN
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

I hope there is a way to save poor Atsali. I think it would be a shame to lose her.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

MerchManDan wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:At which point the nü gui swaps places and goes into Atsali. She turns to face the camera for a freeze frame and we hear Vincent Price laughing.
NO NO NO MUST NOT HAPPEN
Why not? It seems appropriate considering Paul's story is such a thriller.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

kingklash wrote:SDO did say that Brandi seeded buffer crystals near stargate portals. We got two Anasazis ready to access what's left of the network through the local DHDs and dump the Computer out of Atsali's head, then they can deliver the filled crystal(s) to the Library. Or, at least move just the data out of the computer, and leave the Siren with a nice, clean, empty machine to fill with more positive information.
Hmmmm... that's funny, because I got the distinct impression in this strip: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/times-up/ that Bud was corning it up, referring to Lily helping SDO, and SDO was saying, no... little miss goody two shoes never helped my plans, or sabotaged them either... SDO was talking about Lily, not Brandi.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
NO NO NO MUST NOT HAPPEN
Why not? It seems appropriate considering Paul's story is such a thriller.
True, but I don't know if my heart could take it. ;) Besides, that part of the video freaked me out the most.
DilyV wrote:I got the distinct impression in this strip: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/times-up/ that Bud was corning it up, referring to Lily helping SDO, and SDO was saying, no... little miss goody two shoes never helped my plans, or sabotaged them either... SDO was talking about Lily, not Brandi.
How did you come to that conclusion? :|
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

MerchManDan wrote:
DilyV wrote:I got the distinct impression in this strip: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/times-up/ that Bud was corning it up, referring to Lily helping SDO, and SDO was saying, no... little miss goody two shoes never helped my plans, or sabotaged them either... SDO was talking about Lily, not Brandi.
How did you come to that conclusion? :|
Yeah, I agree with MMD - I interpreted this as Oduya saying that Brandi hadn't either helped or hindered Oduya's schemes, and it looks as if Oduya was wrong..

We know that Brandi wasn't aware of much that Oduya did or planned, when Oduya was in control. It now seems as if this worked both ways... Brandi was apparently able to do some scheming and planning and setup in opposition to Oduya's plans, that Oduya wasn't aware of.