Your Capable Hands 2013-06-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: Your Capable Hands 2013-06-25

Post by MerchManDan »

Speaking of severe bodily trauma, McBride seems no worse for wear after being impaled upon Bud's forearm. How quickly DO these vampires heal, anyway?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

MerchManDan wrote:Speaking of severe bodily trauma, McBride seems no worse for wear after being impaled upon Bud's forearm. How quickly DO these vampires heal, anyway?
I would hasten a guess as almost as fast as Justin. Just not as indestructibly.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I'll repeat an earlier observation that Bud's fist went into some sort of holding space (Hammer Space) that exists in Suzi's cleavage and is where the crystal (and rubber chicken) were located. Having not punched into her body, there was no damage to repair.

http://wapsisquare.com/comics/2013-05-0 ... r-toes.jpg

I'm also speculating that Bud poited her fist out of the space and then through the wall to drop of the crystal on the other side of the wall (and perhaps inverting her hand's position to make it look like it was her other hand.)
Last edited by Timotheus on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Timotheus wrote:I'll repeat an earlier observation that Bud's fist went into some sort of holding space (Hammer Space) that exists in her cleavage and is where the crystal (and rubber chicken) were located. Having not punched into her body, there was no damage to repair.

I'm also speculating that Bud poited her fist out of the space and then through the wall to drop of the crystal on the other side of the wall (and perhapse inverting her hand's position to make it look like it was her other hand.)
I agree with you that Bud most likely used a poit trick that we do not know about yet such as opening a portal just in front or behind the skin on her chest. But as an instructor of mine one stated, "If you want the best response from an adversary, shock and awe cannot be beat."
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:I have a hard time believing that Bud would leave with the stargate still active... or is it? The last panel has me a bit confused... Is the Star Gate still open or is that the Nu Gui looking out of the Crystal at the Vampyric Duo?
I'm not sure of that. The last panel has some additional visual effects, between the point-of-view and the vampires... "glowing, drifting ionized air" sorts of stuff. I can't tell whether that's just what the Nu Gui is seeing, looking out of whatever is holding her, or whether it's an indication that she's managing to break free or somehow "reach out" towards the vampires (which could be Really Bad).

It's possible that Bud felt it was urgently important to get Brandi "out of play" as quickly as possible. It might be important to get her into the protected environment of the Library to eliminate any chance that the Nu Gui could still exercise some influence over her. Or, possibly, Bud doesn't want Brandi to hear whatever discussions might take place... Bud might be trying to shield Brandi from a too-rapid realization of just how she's been used over the years, and just what the Nu Gui has done while possessing her.

Bud might return, after making sure that Brandi is safe.
Maybe they're making fun of the creature in the crystal... and this is what the Nu Gui sees? Kinda like rapping on the glass at the gorilla house at the zoo...

Yeah... I can just see Pratt and McBride... "Like rawr and stuff!!!" Or even better... "Nya Nya Nya!!! Who's in the crystal now, beeyotch!!!"
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Trouble is the response to shock and awe cannot be predicted. The initial air attack on Baghdad in the Gulf War part II, Bush Strikes Back, was supposed to be bigger than the previous war's, but it didn't phase Baghdad's defenders. They were expecting it this time.

The classic example would be the anti aircraft flamethrower of WW II. Proud creation of the Royal Navy, it was felt this device, which could hurl a stream of ignited jellied petrol nearly 2000 feet into the air would be a sure fire deterrent against dive bombers and torpedo planes. Concerned that they might accidentally damage the test plane during the first live trials using real aircraft, the RAF was told to be sure to stay a safe distance from the target ship and not make complete bombing runs over it. "Just fly by and observe what happens and then write down your reactions."

Sensing something wasn't kosher, the RAF sent one of their more "experienced" pilots to do the test flights. As the plane approached the ship the anti aircraft flamethrower was activated and an awe inspiring arc of flame leaped up a thousand and some feet into the sky before it. The plane made an emergency turn to avoid it, then flew around it a couple times, and then to the horror of the observers flew straight through the arc several times doing acrobatic stunts.

When interviewed after the flight, the pilot, a former stunt pilot and barnstorming daredevil (which is why the RAF sent him) admitted the flame shooting up was real impressive and had startled him for a few seconds, but after that he'd decided to put on a show for the people on the ground. A metal plane wouldn't be in contact with the flames long enough to make it any sort of fire hazard and any pilot with a hint of bravado would realize that quickly.

The anti aircraft flamethrower joined the long list of "Well, they looked good on paper." devices of war and another shock and awe device didn't quite shock and awe like it was supposed to. (You can look it up for the longer, more detailed story. It's fun.)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Timotheus wrote:Sensing something wasn't kosher, the RAF sent one of their more "experienced" pilots to do the test flights. As the plane approached the ship the anti aircraft flamethrower was activated and an awe inspiring arc of flame leaped up a thousand and some feet into the sky before it. The plane made an emergency turn to avoid it, then flew around it a couple times, and then to the horror of the observers flew straight through the arc several times doing acrobatic stunts.
Hot damn!

I'd love to see those reactions! While I've seen my share of ideas falling flat (or ironically worse than flat), I can barely imagine something of this magnitude.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Sidhekin wrote:... or Bud might send Monica, if she indeed is at the Library.

It was "miss Goodie-Goodie" who told K&A that Monica was at the Library. But she also said that Jin was sent to Puerta de Hayu Marca, and though she only says she was supposed to go on to Mesa Verde if K&A didn't show, clearly Bud was told the same.

Sooo ... why hasn't Jin showed up at Mesa Verde? :-\
if i remember correctly didn't Brandi say that she was to wait till one hour before/after sunset (i forget which)... THEN go to Mesa Verde?... if Jin was told the same thing then it's obviously too soon for her to show up yet.

or...

she'll be showing up just about NOW, and get possessed by the NG right off the bat...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Julie

Post by Julie »

scantrontb wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:... or Bud might send Monica, if she indeed is at the Library.

It was "miss Goodie-Goodie" who told K&A that Monica was at the Library. But she also said that Jin was sent to Puerta de Hayu Marca, and though she only says she was supposed to go on to Mesa Verde if K&A didn't show, clearly Bud was told the same.

Sooo ... why hasn't Jin showed up at Mesa Verde? :-\
if i remember correctly didn't Brandi say that she was to wait till one hour before/after sunset (i forget which)... THEN go to Mesa Verde?... if Jin was told the same thing then it's obviously too soon for her to show up yet.

or...

she'll be showing up just about NOW, and get possessed by the NG right off the bat...
I think you remember correctly about Jin being told to wait...but Bud was also told to wait that amount of time, and she ended up in Mapimi when she tried to get from Yachtulan to Mesa Verde...which suggests that it was "time" to go to Mesa Verde...which still leaves us wondering where Jin is. :(
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Oh, hang on ... sunset is later at Puerta de Hayu Marca, perhaps? 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Timotheus wrote:Trouble is the response to shock and awe cannot be predicted. The initial air attack on Baghdad in the Gulf War part II, Bush Strikes Back, was supposed to be bigger than the previous war's, but it didn't phase Baghdad's defenders. They were expecting it this time.

The classic example would be the anti aircraft flamethrower of WW II. Proud creation of the Royal Navy, it was felt this device, which could hurl a stream of ignited jellied petrol nearly 2000 feet into the air would be a sure fire deterrent against dive bombers and torpedo planes. Concerned that they might accidentally damage the test plane during the first live trials using real aircraft, the RAF was told to be sure to stay a safe distance from the target ship and not make complete bombing runs over it. "Just fly by and observe what happens and then write down your reactions."

Sensing something wasn't kosher, the RAF sent one of their more "experienced" pilots to do the test flights. As the plane approached the ship the anti aircraft flamethrower was activated and an awe inspiring arc of flame leaped up a thousand and some feet into the sky before it. The plane made an emergency turn to avoid it, then flew around it a couple times, and then to the horror of the observers flew straight through the arc several times doing acrobatic stunts.

When interviewed after the flight, the pilot, a former stunt pilot and barnstorming daredevil (which is why the RAF sent him) admitted the flame shooting up was real impressive and had startled him for a few seconds, but after that he'd decided to put on a show for the people on the ground. A metal plane wouldn't be in contact with the flames long enough to make it any sort of fire hazard and any pilot with a hint of bravado would realize that quickly.

The anti aircraft flamethrower joined the long list of "Well, they looked good on paper." devices of war and another shock and awe device didn't quite shock and awe like it was supposed to. (You can look it up for the longer, more detailed story. It's fun.)
It reminds me of another invention that lost out, but not due to technical problems, but to secrecy. The Canal Defense Light was supposed to be used to spotlight enemy positions at night, and also to dazzle them and ruin night-vision. The name "Canal Defense Light" was used to hide its true purpose, but the problems was that they were so secret, commanders did not know they were available, and did not plan for them or call on them.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Along those lines, the WW II British magician Jasper Maskelylne modified searchlights to dazzle night flying aircraft, thus interrupting bombing runs and such. Absent good Radar systems, many optical tricks and counter-measures were very effective.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

You want to be kinda careful talking about Maskelyne's WW2 doings.

Apparently he bore a strong resemblance to Baron Munchausen.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber