Wrath 2013-06-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Wrath 2013-06-11

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:My question is, how much radioactivity was released in this 'meltdown' and could Kath and Atsali have survived it inside of Bud's compartment?
My guess would be "quite a lot" and "probably, if her access panel was closed in time".

This explosion was posited to be the result of a hot radioactive mass coming into contact with water in the surrounding strata, leading to a steam explosion. It would have required fairly direct contact between the fissioning uranium-laden rock (or lava) and the water, to have made that much steam in such a short period of time... the thermal conductivity of rock is probably too low for an indirect-heat-transfer scenario to have caused an explosion.

So, you have a steam explosion violently shattering the landscape, and probably shattering and carrying along a lot of the stimulated uranium ore as tephra fragments, full of uranium and (much worse) lots of yummy fission products. Think "significantly-radioactive pyroclastic flow" as you go to sleep tonight if you want interesting dreams ;)

I would not care to be downwind.

As to Kath and Atsali surviving... we don't know much at all about the characteristics of golemite clay, but it must be incredibly tough and resilient stuff to give the GGs the survival/invulnerability they've been shown to have. It'd be quite plausible to me for it to act as a very effective barrier against gammas and neutrons and the like... if so, Bud's passengers may be quite safe if they got indoors in time. Bud may need surface decontamination, though... but since we know that Bud and Brandi's house has a perfectly good shower, that might suffice.

On the other hand, we may be facing a "No more living Anasazi at all, and a Kentucky-fried Siren" situation. I hope not! Can't tell yet.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

now i guess the question becomes: Does SDO know that Bud was there in the first place? or as some theorize, that she was willing to let Katherine die just to "make sure" that the last of the Anasazi are removed from existence... and i'll bet that she was expecting Lily to be there as well in the guise of helping Kat do her mission... She gave the assignment to them, but the Library hooking Kat up with Atsali, and then the sat-phone call from Tsillah may have thrown a kink in her plan, as well as, the Library Poiting Bud into there just in the nick of time to get Kat and Atsali out of there alive!... ALSO contrary to SDO's plan i think.

yep, i think that SDO's time is about up!... you know, i'll bet that the Brandi we know and love IS the "real" Brandi... the personality we know as "SDO" is actually a DEMON taking possession of her body, for the duration of her needing to be SDO, then reverting control back to Brandi all as part of Brandi's "deal"... all the time that she's NOT in control, she's being kept on ice in the demon realm or they are playing a bit of trickery with the quantum state of Brandi's mind, starting and stopping playback like you would a DVD.. the MOVIE doesn't know that it is paused while you go to the bathroom, and continued to play after you get back, it just plays one frame after the other, it won't, heck! it CAN'T have any knowledge of the time lapse between one frame and the next during your bathroom break... just like Brandi's mind is being portrayed... from her point of view, i'll bet she has no recollection what-so-ever of even being here with the Generals, nor of talking to Katherine of the secrets(this page, panel two.) the way i read into what Brandi was saying on the previous page, the whole "the newest MIB agents would know me when they see me" speech with that little hopeful grin, was that Brandi thought that Kat and Atsali WERE the newest agents... and that her last memories of that conversation were to tell them that they'll all regroup at Mesa Verde, with MIB... anything AFTER that was the demon talking.

hmm, that would ALSO explain how Brandi could edit her book to herself... Brandi WAS being reset with the time loops each time, but as a demon is not bound by space-time, SDO WOULD remember everything, and therefore could edit the book, for the next cycles Brandi to deal with at the appropriate time which, by the way, would ALSO neatly explain some of her "chess master" reputation too! even though Brandi forgets everything during the reset, the Demon DOESN'T... and basically does the same thing as Jin did (is still doing?) with the Immortal Politicians and the fake "time traveller" thing... Jin forgot during the CM Loop Resets, but MAY was the one doing the remembering FOR her while she was in the demon realm. (i can't find the page where Jin tells Monica that.) Bud and Shelly having to keep it a secret from Brandi (even though she wrote it) is also a construct of the difference between Brandi and SDO's knowledge levels.
Last edited by scantrontb on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

DilyV wrote:Either way, I'd say that we're about to witness an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object (Acacia's fist and SDO's face)
Well, they have been known to knock each other about, so not quite immovable:
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/theutmostfinesse/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/wrong-answer/
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

As an alternate scenario, if they didn't make it into the Bud shelter, we may see the first example of the Jaguar Girl taking a trip across the barrier to the land of the dead to reclaim two souls that died too soon. Possibly enlisting the aid of her Grandpa while there and maybe meeting up with Tina 1.0. It would certainly open up a broad area of story concepts.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote:But the monoboob appears to be over.
meh, no awful bra, no monoboob! :D :D

BTW, over at fatchic, there is a solution! :) http://fatchic.net/2013/05/29/bandeau-bras/
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

you know, i'll bet that the Brandi we know and love IS the "real" Brandi... the personality we know as "SDO" is actually a DEMON taking possession of her body, for the duration of her needing to be SDO, then reverting control back to Brandi all as part of Brandi's "deal"... all the time that she's NOT in control, she's being kept on ice in the demon realm or they are playing a bit of trickery with the quantum state of Brandi's mind, starting and stopping playback like you would a DVD..
Yup. I think You nailed it.
Director Oduya's "flame-face" does point towards some kind of demon that has taken her over.

Still. Brandi's about to get a whupping. Bud is the Bruiser, Brandi the Brains.. Two Golems having at eachother. Could get interesting -in a planetary-system-shattering kinda way- . Bets to be placed in the betting-jar on the corner, near Tina. Proceeds will be used to repair the local star-cluster......

After that? Off to Phix, so she can beat the demon out of poor Brandi. She cóuld knock Nudge out of Tina, so, I'd like to think that Phix has honed that skill to be able to whack a demon out of golems. (i hope...) If only to redeem herself for the recent events around ehrrm.. "revelations and eating habits". (And I want Shelly to be on good footing with her unci...)

Oh, and Kat and Atsi surviving the trip in Bud's belly-hatch? I think that the hatch hides a dimensional portal/stargate to a small tesseract-chamber. Bud's belly is just the foyer. Ergo: no problems with momentum for Kat and Atsi
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Goth Wolf

Post by Goth Wolf »

The only Two words I can think of Bud saying right now are

BUD.....SMASH!!!!!
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Bud is angry. But unless someone has taken the time to brief her, I don't think Bud knows anything of Brandi's involvement, beyond setting up that complex. Unless she picked it up millennia ago, she doesn't know about the self-destruct mechanism. She doesn't know Kath and Atsali spoke with Brandi. And she'll still be as confused as we are, if not more, about that diverted poit.

And I don't really see either of those "unlesses" as probable.

Which leaves Bud in anger without direction. Until someone deals her in ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
amishangel

Post by amishangel »

Hope everyone got their Rabies shot!! This is going to get ugly!
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

That look on Bud's face may just indicate that it was one of her favorite dresses than she had been wearing before the explosion.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Leak

Post by Leak »

KnightDelight wrote:I give her 9.5 for sticking the landing with great style. She lost a half point for not having her arms stretched out to her sides. But then she probably hasn't had all that much practice at this.
As a fan of ski jumping I'm pretty sure 9.5 is an abysmal score on the 0-20 scale... :P
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

1st thought: Bud would do great at ski jumping.

2nd thought: She didn't do so great skating down those stairs.

3rd thought: Her landings have improved considerably!

liquidschwartz

Post by liquidschwartz »

She's Bud Naked.

'plink'
DragonholderX

Post by DragonholderX »

Would this be what could be called a golemcidal rage?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Sidhekin wrote:Bud is angry. But unless someone has taken the time to brief her, I don't think Bud knows anything of Brandi's involvement, beyond setting up that complex. Unless she picked it up millennia ago, she doesn't know about the self-destruct mechanism. She doesn't know Kath and Atsali spoke with Brandi. And she'll still be as confused as we are, if not more, about that diverted poit.

And I don't really see either of those "unlesses" as probable.

Which leaves Bud in anger without direction. Until someone deals her in ...
Bud and Brandi started the MiB... I'm pretty sure that Bud knows darn well what Brandi/SDO are capable of. There is enough talk about their abilities between them that I think there's no doubt that the modern Acacia is well aware of SDO and the reason why she exists.

Acacia seemed to know a lot about the operation of the complex a millennia ago... enough to remind Brandi that the babies each had to have their own crystal...

The diverted Poit is indeed an enigma, wrapped in a dilemma... which leads me to think that SDO knew the chances were that Atsali or Kath might trip the defensive destruct mechanism and diverted Acacia to the complex as the only possible safety mechanism for saving Kath and Atsali (i.e. Bud going belly up so to speak). In fact the more I think on it, SDO knew poiting into the complex was a one way trip so the only salvation for Kath and Atsali was Acacia's tummy tuck. Brandi likes to be kept oblivious, Bud doesn't. I get the feeling this is going to really affect Brandi when it comes out how close SDO cut this one and who was at risk of being killed. Brandi is going to see herself killing that baby all over again as a result of this one. Whatever Tsillah, Phix and the Library have in mind to fix Brandi and close that particular demon loophole, they'd better hurry because SDO is cutting things much too close for comfort. I did opine awhile back that SDO was a demon that stepped in at opportune moments... The more we see of SDO and her proclivities for planning the most intricate of moves even if they wind up killing someone the more convinced I am that SDO is Brandi with a demon at the helm. a trip to the Library should Phix Brandi right up...

Drops an MiB secret decoder ring in the punjar on my way to bed...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

In spite of words to the contrary: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/viscerally-scares-me/

I'm pretty sure Bud doesn't know how deep that rabbit hole goes: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/kind-of-disturbi/

Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Anyone needs me I'll be over in first class on the Confusion Ship. It's a very nice ship. MC Escher partnered with Isambard Kingdom Brunel to make it. Also has a lovely safe room that's probably gonna be needed once Bud get's done with Brandi.
as363

Post by as363 »

And here I was looking for one of John Wayne s' favorite fight sceans "I'm not going to hit ja - the hell I'm not..
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"She's naked, and she's not happy."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

I'll be under my bed until Bud calms down. Or destroys the Earth in her rage. Whichever comes first.
Dave wrote:
zachariah wrote:Yeah, she's definitely unhappy... I don't think we've ever seen Bud look as mad as this, or in this way. I wonder if she was as attached to her tube-top, as Monica was to her expensive bra?

Somebody is definitely in for a really severe talking-to! As Faith said to Conner, "Break me off a switch, son... cause there's gonna be a whuppin'!"
She was pretty unhappy when Jin manipulated Monica into going through the Tapestry to get the other part of it and wound up being used for target practice by a bunch of criminals. To the point she expressed her displeasure by roundhouse punching Jin in the face.

I suspect Brandi is in for something along those lines. But perhaps worse.