A Mortal Descendant 2013-05-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: A Mortal Descendant 2013-05-28

Post by zachariah »

Brandi and Bia are not fighting each other. Brandi is convinced Bia is wrong in the solution she chose. Brandi followed a different path. Brandi is aiming towards a mortal descendant of Bia, not a heir to Bia. Since Bia is Shelly's mom it means she got busy to have Shelly. It implies she has done this before as well. So there is another line dece3nded from Bia who Brandi is taking control of, or moving into position. They just have not defined what it is they actually have to fix. Charron's initial saying of the prohacy mentioned fixing things, but not what things needed to be fixed.

That part of central Mexico is riddled with volcanoes. In fact Mexico city is surrounded by them. So that is a local eruption, not a super volcano. I saw Mt. Pinatubo blow it's gut's out in 91 and it looked a bit like that. SO it's big but not ginormous.

Brandi is just high on success. Just glad a Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha was not thrown in.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

This is making me think that most if not all the heroes of myth (Hercules, Perseus etc) are Bia's children. She did say that her other children were strong but not immortal. That is until she used Phix.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

So - which Brandi are we seeing here? Is this Brandi-prime, or the other one - the one who won't kill a fly?

There seem to be at least two Brandi personas, almost diametrically opposite in some ways, and in others, with a major overlap. Could be a case of multiple personality disorder, I suppose. But maybe it's not a "disorder," in the usual sense of the word.

For me, at least, this is not telegraphing. And that's fine. I'm here for the duration to see how this all shakes out.

I'll be over in the corner of the monitoring room, with a hot drink near to hand and my eyes fixed on the screen. Let 'er rip! :shock:
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Hee, I remember way back when the calendar machine arc was coming to a close, wondering if that meant Wapsi Square would be ending now that the big plot line was wrapping up.
I haven't a clue what's next, although it's fun to speculate. I'm just fastening my seat belt as the wild ride continues.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Geezer wrote:So - which Brandi are we seeing here? Is this Brandi-prime, or the other one - the one who won't kill a fly?
This is almost certainly an earlier instance of her "Senior Director Oduya" chess-master persona. Take a look back over the previous few days... here's how I interpret what we see:
  • We first see the caring "won't kill a fly" Brandi personality managing the rescue of the endangered humans into the Mapimi crystal system. She's very much "in the moment", worried about the safety of the individuals, and horrified when she realizes that she mis-programmed and didn't account for the possibility of quadruplets. Her facial expression is engaged and concerned.
  • We see her turn away and go "urk".
  • She turns around with a completely different expression - the coy, almost-seductive smile we've seen on the face of Senior Director Oduya when she was talking with Lily.
  • She immediately stops talking about the issue of the mis-routed unborn children, teleports Acacia into storage without any discussion, and is now gloating about her success in lining up pieces in a long-term plan.
This is very similar to the sequence we saw when Brandi was talking with Katherine and Atsali... the concerned/caring/straightforward Brandi, followed by a few moments of speaking in Urk'ish, and then the appearance of a coy smiling Oduya personality with a somewhat different set of knowledge of the situation and a much more manipulative manner.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

kingklash wrote:It's scary to think that Bradi's enjoyment of the 'splosion may actually be a result of things going right.
What, don't your plans involve things exploding? :D
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:Is it just me or is the Senior Director a little scary-crazy? :shock:

Just sayin'.
You are incorrect.

Not a little scary-crazy.

A lot.
Last edited by Fairportfan on Tue May 28, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Since no one else seems to have linked the more relevant pages ... So, Brandi's view of Bia's directing has gone from "wrong direction" to "that plan was best"?

Did Bia actually surprise Brandi?
zachariah wrote:Since Bia is Shelly's mom it means she got busy to have Shelly. It implies she has done this before as well.
Not necessary. It does mean she was trying for an immortal heir, which I assume can come about even without sphinxes, as long as she stays away from humans. (Perhaps she had little luck trying to date Olympians?)

Also: The various Shellies had different parents: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=523&p=9870&hilit=sh ... rest#p9870

"Final draft" Shelly may be the first Sphinx, or the first descendant of Bia. Or not. But I suspect she was the first immortal: Otherwise why did she return from the time forest as the only one?

57 enter; one leaves? 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

MerchManDan wrote:
davids4250 wrote: Is this whole thing just a cat fight between Bia and Brandy?
It's certainly looking that way. Brandi - rather, Ms. Oduya - must have one massive axe to grind, if she's starting this much trouble to keep the Gods & Titans off of Earth...or to keep Bia ON Earth.
Well, Brandi and Bia are both in Bud's nightmare: One is smiling and the other is not smiling.

Often wondered about chessmaster-types describing their plans aloud like that. If they're as intelligent and manipulative as they're supposed to be, then the gloating itself ought to be a distraction for anyone able to listen in.
zachariah wrote:Brandi is just high on success. Just glad a Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha was not thrown in.
Brandi's not a Republic Serial villain.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
kingklash wrote:It's scary to think that Bradi's enjoyment of the 'splosion may actually be a result of things going right.
What, don't your plans involve things exploding? :D
"Brandi wants BIG BOOM!!"
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

-

I will make justice the measuring line and righteousness the plumb-line; hail will sweep away your refuge of lies, and waters will overflow your hiding-place.
Your covenant with death will be annulled; your agreement with Sheol will not stand. When the overwhelming scourge sweeps by, you will be beaten down by it.

Isaiah 28.17-18

-

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yamara wrote: Well, Brandi and Bia are both in Bud's nightmare: One is smiling and the other is not smiling.
...So you're thinking that's Brandi in her animal-chimera form in that one panel?

And Isaiah wasn't one to mince words. Neither was Jeremiah.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Having been in sight of (but beyond the blast radius of) an erupting volcano I have to agree with Senior Director Oduya. They are beautiful. :twisted: :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Yamara wrote:Often wondered about chessmaster-types describing their plans aloud like that. If they're as intelligent and manipulative as they're supposed to be, then the gloating itself ought to be a distraction for anyone able to listen in.
There's a line like that in one of the Diskworld books, something like this: A clever spy might learn a lot by listening to what the Patrician said. A really clever spy wouldn't trust anything the Patrician said when he was supposed to be alone.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I also find myself wondeRing when and how Brandi/Oduya learned os the prophecy about Bia's descendant.

As for the Patrician, if I was trying to spy on him, I would not trust anything he said at any time, and I would grow eyes in the back of my head.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:Having been in sight of (but beyond the blast radius of) an erupting volcano I have to agree with Senior Director Oduya. They are beautiful. :twisted: :ugeek:
Yep. When i was in Sicily Mt Etna (easily visible from the barracks back porch) got a little feisty (one of the biggest eruptions in years, 1971) but not to that extent.

I've always regretted never having had the chance to witness an above-ground nuclear test.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

Fairportfan wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Having been in sight of (but beyond the blast radius of) an erupting volcano I have to agree with Senior Director Oduya. They are beautiful. :twisted: :ugeek:
Yep. When i was in Sicily Mt Etna (easily visible from the barracks back porch) got a little feisty (one of the biggest eruptions in years, 1971) but not to that extent.

I've always regretted never having had the chance to witness an above-ground nuclear test.
My father-in-law saw two. He said they were really awesome (in the original sense of the word). However, I will always wonder if it had anything to do with his early death from a bad-ass, totally undifferentiated carcinoma. Maybe you should just be happy with the volcano.
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

jwhouk wrote:
Yamara wrote: Well, Brandi and Bia are both in Bud's nightmare: One is smiling and the other is not smiling.
...So you're thinking that's Brandi in her animal-chimera form in that one panel?
If they aren't all sharing the one head early on, the lion's head is Brandi's.

Going by the appearance of Bia's sigil on her face, she must have taken up with her at some point in the intervening millennia. And she's delighted to be playing her as well.

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Oh damn... Brandi's last line... I get the feeling that she's talking about Lily... Lily is Brandi's mortal decendent... well, WAS until she became a vampire...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...or IS she?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin