Like A Nightmare 2015-08-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Gyrrakavian

Re: Like A Nightmare 2015-08-28

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Just swung by the comic to get to the comments. The current banner ad was for a webcomic called 'The Dead Place'.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Seems appropriate.
tophoo

Post by tophoo »

If the author ever- no, wait.. When the author introduces weretortoises, how long do y'all reckon their fangs will be?
Y'know, I've got a nice, concise, little avatar pic that I've been using for ten damned years, and this is the first place I've ever tried to use it that said it was too big.
Screw it- I'm stayin' generic.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

tophoo wrote:If the author ever- no, wait.. When the author introduces weretortoises, how long do y'all reckon their fangs will be?
They wont have Fangs, instead they'll have single piece beaks instead of teeth...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

On a full moon they become serrated
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sgt. Howard wrote:On a full moon they become serrated
Have you had a close look at a duck's beak?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:On a full moon they become serrated
Have you had a close look at a duck's beak?
Been bit- critter couldn't penetrate the tough hide of a blacksmith's hand... but he was quite tasty...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
tophoo

Post by tophoo »

TazManiac wrote:
tophoo wrote:If the author ever- no, wait.. When the author introduces weretortoises, how long do y'all reckon their fangs will be?
They wont have Fangs, instead they'll have single piece beaks instead of teeth...
You really think so? Everybody except Katherine and amnesiac demigod boyfriend seems to have fangs anymore. (that was a bit of hyperbole- I'm sure there are at least five other characters without fangs.)
It's like lazy shorthand for "Hey, readers- this is a para!"
Y'know, I've got a nice, concise, little avatar pic that I've been using for ten damned years, and this is the first place I've ever tried to use it that said it was too big.
Screw it- I'm stayin' generic.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

tophoo wrote:
TazManiac wrote:
You really think so? Everybody except Katherine and amnesiac demigod boyfriend seems to have fangs anymore. (that was a bit of hyperbole- I'm sure there are at least five other characters without fangs.)
It's like lazy shorthand for "Hey, readers- this is a para!"
I'd like to see you try and write a successful webcomic for 14 years, creating a cast of characters that qualifies for the "Loads and Loads of Characters" TV Trope, keep track of them all and keep them all distinct, somewhat relateable, and usually entertaining, writing complex plots and stories drawing from several ancient mythologies and modern conspiracies while still remaining original that capture the hearts, minds, and imaginations of at least several hundred people, constantly improving your art, all the while helping to support a family and raising at least one kid.

Oh, and doing another webcomic too.

Yeah... that sounds real lazy. :roll: Cut the man some slack, dude. Using the fangs to point out paranormal from normal isn't lazy. It's a technique designed to make the story easier to understand and provide key information without constantly requiring characters to spout exposition a la "Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm paranormal, so you and I can speak freely about what's really going on, ok? Cool."

There was a series of books where whenever wizards directly touched, there was an electric shock. Another series had things set up so that whenever someone used magic, all nearby magic users could sense it. It's not lazy. It's making the story move faster than molasses in January.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:There was a series of books where whenever wizards directly touched, there was an electric shock. Another series had things set up so that whenever someone used magic, all nearby magic users could sense it. It's not lazy. It's making the story move faster than molasses in January.
Then, there was a bit from Spider Robinson's "Telempath", in which the protagonist was captured (by his own people, who believed he'd gone rogue), dragged home, hauled up before a drumhead inquisition held in the home/office of the local doctor (who was excluded as Not Needing To Know), and then tossed in jail.

His teacher visited him that evening, and said that he'd been so suspicious about what had been going down that he'd installed a tape recorder to "bug" his own living room before he vacated the premises.

The protagonist sighed in relief and said "Doc, you've saved me pages of exposition!"
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

GlytchMeister wrote:Oh, and doing another webcomic too.
um, what comic would that be? the website for Space Alien Catgirls is still a holding page with no other content... if that is NOT the "other comic" you were talking about, please post a link...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

scantrontb wrote:
um, what comic would that be? the website for Space Alien Catgirls is still a holding page with no other content... if that is NOT the "other comic" you were talking about, please post a link...
My bad, I thought that was up and running. I haven't been paying attention to that one, I just had a vague idea he had another comic.
My point stands.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

scantrontb wrote:
Vote. Patreon. Get the word out, support the artist.

Give him some room to breathe and good things happen.

My opinion.

Pull my finger.