So Bent 2015-03-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: So Bent 2015-03-17

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Pick a song tune to go with that and you've got the first filk song for Wapsi Square!
Not quite the first. If I ever get to a Con when Paul has a booth, and can somehow recruit a few other Wapsis for an impromptu barbershop quartet... then things might get interesting. Or horrifying (that's if I actually sing, of course.)
You'll need a good bass... any barbershop quartet worth its salt has to have a good bass... Let me know, when the time comes... ;)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:Pick a song tune to go with that and you've got the first filk song for Wapsi Square!
Not quite the first. If I ever get to a Con when Paul has a booth, and can somehow recruit a few other Wapsis for an impromptu barbershop quartet... then things might get interesting. Or horrifying (that's if I actually sing, of course.)
You'll need a good bass... any barbershop quartet worth its salt has to have a good bass... Let me know, when the time comes... ;)
So your saying its all about that bass? No treble?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
illiad

Post by illiad »

oldmanmickey wrote: So your saying its all about that bass? No treble?
HEH... :D TOO much bass, and only the strong can handle it... and even then, you get 'speaker cone breakup' , and amp fuses blown... :O
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

oldmanmickey wrote:So your saying its all about that bass? No treble?
Of course not. Merely that it's incomplete without the bass...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:
HEH... :D TOO much bass, and only the strong can handle it... and even then, you get 'speaker cone breakup' , and amp fuses blown... :O
Well, I haven't caused any such damage with my singing, that I know of... ;)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

oldmanmickey wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote: You'll need a good bass... any barbershop quartet worth its salt has to have a good bass... Let me know, when the time comes... ;)
So your saying its all about that bass? No treble?
HEEEEEEEESHOOOTSANDHE SCORES!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

illiad wrote:
Mmmm.... that's great bass!!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Yeah, about that- there likely a physiological change brought on by puberty that makes them (boys) not smell right yet, and her not 'smell them right', at least not till she grows up a great deal more.
Given her heritage and unique biological status, it could be that she'll never show any interest in boys. Or in girls. Or in anybody, in that way. Or she might fall into a romantic subplot involving a sunflower.
Huh... You know, there might be some other sentient plant types out there, just not exactly like tumblyweed.

Her future may hold a cross-pollination with some other mix of plant and animal, Hybrid Vigor for the Win!

PS based on reading the most recent posts....
I once had a cold that took my normal range down a bit and while absentmindedly humming to myself in a movie theater lobby, in Berkeley CA, I found I could get a harmonic in the big vaulted space. It built on itself until others could feel it in their sternums.

TazManiac, Hooked on Sonics...
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:PS based on reading the most recent posts....
I once had a cold that took my normal range down a bit and while absentmindedly humming to myself in a movie theater lobby, in Berkeley CA, I found I could get a harmonic in the big vaulted space. It built on itself until others could feel it in their sternums.

TazManiac, Hooked on Sonics...
Some of my happiest life memories... being on vacation in Greece and Italy. Walking into a small, deserted church with a domed ceiling. Hearing my wife sing a hymn and listening to the sound fill the whole space and echo back...

I've got a video somewhere of her singing "Mary Had A Baby" in a big, deep, underground dry cistern in the mountain-top ruins of the fortress of Masada. Wow... talk about a beautiful resonance.
illiad

Post by illiad »

lake_wrangler wrote:
illiad wrote:
Well, I haven't caused any such damage with my singing, that I know of... ;)
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: : Only psychological damage , I guess... :P :)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote:
If you can't make it for some reason, maybe we can convince this guy to fill in.

O_o
Holy crap, that dude's voice is something outta legend.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:If you can't make it for some reason, maybe we can convince this guy to fill in.

O_o
He's OK, I guess... I'm not trying to belittle him, or anything, but I can sing the same song a whole octave lower. In fact, he even sings it a few tones higher than Tennessee Ernie Ford does, and I can still sing it a whole octave lower than he, as well...

Here's a sample of my voice, from a rehearsal at my church for our Christmas concert in 2014. We were singing the Carol of the Bells, as sung by Pentatonix. The sound quality is not the best, seeing as it was recorded from my digital photo camera, but you still get the idea...
In case it wasn't clear, I'm the big, bearded guy at the left...
(And yes, I am quite aware that I am slightly off key at the beginning... :roll: But then, that's what rehearsals are for, no?)
sheik

Post by sheik »

With regard to Atsali's cookie jar I have to agree the gag has been done to death, unless as has been suggested, Castela has done one better and is now trying to frame Atsali for cookie theft.
That could be a much longer running gag and end up with Castela being a master of hammerspace because of her rather unique structure.
Like with Dr. Who's pockets. you will never know just what our tumbleweed will shake out.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It will be revealed, sometime around 2020, that Castela was hiding the stuff in her own tendrils the entire time.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

lake_wrangler wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:If you can't make it for some reason, maybe we can convince this guy to fill in.

O_o
He's OK, I guess... I'm not trying to belittle him, or anything, but I can sing the same song a whole octave lower. In fact, he even sings it a few tones higher than Tennessee Ernie Ford does, and I can still sing it a whole octave lower than he, as well...

Here's a sample of my voice, from a rehearsal at my church for our Christmas concert in 2014. We were singing the Carol of the Bells, as sung by Pentatonix. The sound quality is not the best, seeing as it was recorded from my digital photo camera, but you still get the idea...
In case it wasn't clear, I'm the big, bearded guy at the left...
(And yes, I am quite aware that I am slightly off key at the beginning... :roll: But then, that's what rehearsals are for, no?)
I think the real trick is he's this little tiny stick figure of a dude. Yeah, he's kinda tall and has a Mohawk, but still. He looks way too skinny for a voice that meaty.
You remind me of the Viking opera singer from the JG Wentworth commercials. "If you need long term payments but neeed caaash nooowww..."
Also, I'm not sure, but was that your voice periodically washing out all the other sound on my poor little iPad speaker or was that the bass drum?
Also also: to me, it seems the Yale dude is singing waay below Ernie. Am I just that tone deaf, or is there music theory trickery going on here? If it's the latter, don't even bother explaining it, music theory is one of those things my brain just can't handle. It just goes "lolwut?" Shrugs, and then all I hear is gobbledegook. Just say a musical wizard did it and move on. :roll:
Also also also: point to sheik for the Time Lord Tech reference.
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

GlytchMeister wrote:Yeah, he's kinda tall and has a Mohawk, but still.
Heh. That's exactly the way my girlfriend was wearing her hair when she started med school in 1985.

Looked a lot better on her.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

ppft, my normal speaking voice is lower than that dude...

(Don't make me break out the Paul Robeson...)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I clearly have much yet left to learn in the Way of the (low) Voice.

Thats right, I just busted out a Skyrim reference.
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote:Huh... You know, there might be some other sentient plant types out there, just not exactly like tumblyweed.

Her future may hold a cross-pollination with some other mix of plant and animal, Hybrid Vigor for the Win!
She might end up an entwife!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Huh... You know, there might be some other sentient plant types out there, just not exactly like tumblyweed.

She might end up an entwife!
I'm... I'm not sure how I feel about Castela hooking up with an Ent. Just doesn't seem... Right... >_>
I'm too much!