Out Cold 2013-09-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Out Cold 2013-09-10

Post by Yamara »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:Headstrong Romanticism.

Headlong flight.

Head-bonk collision.

Head gong ringing.

I can't quite justify claiming "Head-thong rebound" as the next one in the series, since this scene isn't taking place at the beach or on Monica's sandbar (may it R.I.P.)

Any other alliteracies come to mind?
Head along...except we don't have any little dogies. (At least I haven't seen Deitzel in this arc)
It's plural. Don't forget Baxter and Boo.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Akasha wrote:ouch ... hope monica cushions *ahem* the fall well ....
I wonder who or what is going to cushion Monica's fall??

Can't tell for sure, but it looks as if Monica might have taken a bonk on the head, as well. Georgette's head was falling back right at her in panel 2 and they were moving in opposite directions. It's possible that both of them are Out Cold now.

This incident is really going to screw up Mocho Mocha's liability insurance rates. :(
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Just because we didn't see Tina go and lock the door, didn't mean she didn't go and lock the door between panels, or pages.

Now, as for sound effects for Georgette bouncing off the door, I heard something more like a cymbal crash.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

txmystic wrote:Cool. Bagels are only $3.99/dozen.
I'd be a regular customer if I lived in the neighborhood. :D
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Fairportfan called the locked doors first... but I think Scantrontb had the best answer here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1179&start=20#p23003

Someone else said that the truth hurts... Apparently so do locked doors... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with the assertion that the "kerplunk kerplooie" strip last panel has a rather good chance of happening here... which will make the situation even more embarrassing for both Monica and Jet, but it makes for a good strip. Pile up the layers of angst to give everyone enough to sort through to figure out what's going on.

Someone mentioned Kidnapping... I'm not so sure that would fit in this case because a. Jet didn't seem to be attempting to leave. It appears that Jet was doing a rage in place. b. It appears that Jet didn't know the doors were locked.

Right about now a call to Phix would be a real good idea. Tina's demons would most likely be a bad idea to have trying to sort things out. Monica's too especially since Monica reacted to some sort of projection from Jet. Call Phix and do it quick so she can get there before Jet comes to. It would also give Tina a chance to explain to Phix what happened before Phix has a chance to react on incomplete evidence.

Tina: Phix... we need you at Mucho Mocha fast... someone came in and something happened... She's out cold now because she ran into the door so she's not going anywhere at the moment, but something about her just dragged an analytical response out of me... I had no control over it... help!

They could sort out the complete reaction when Phix gets there and has a chance to hear both sides of the story.

Tina is probably shitting bricks at the moment because of the "do no harm" edict on her 'demons running the ship'. It's not clear what the heck happened at the moment, but something about Jet definitely triggered the responses we've seen. Tina's diarrhea of the mouth and Monica's vision. I'm not sure that Tina or Monica triggered those responses.

Thinking back, I remember thinking that Tina looked as if she was in a trance when she was analyzing Jet... but I checked it off to Tina's eyes always looking like pinwheels anyway but it appears that my initial thought might have been close to the mark... Lots left to get through this week... and Friday is coming fast!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

"Ahem"...

Woob, Woob, Woob!

Nuck, Nuck, Nuck!

So, does this mean that she is not related to Monica, but IS related to Shelly?

Yamara

Post by Yamara »

DilyV wrote:Someone mentioned Kidnapping... I'm not so sure that would fit in this case because a. Jet didn't seem to be attempting to leave. It appears that Jet was doing a rage in place. b. It appears that Jet didn't know the doors were locked.

Right about now a call to Phix would be a real good idea.

Not a fan of kidnapping, but I felt that if Jet hadn't settled down, a brief poit to the top of the Library turret that Nudge fell out of would be in order. If the majesty of Limbo and the slow approach of her jaguar love interest--lecturing her with nowhere to run--wouldn't suit her Romantic soul, I don't know what would.

Of course, if they're going to just lie on top of each other on the floor.....

DilyV wrote:Tina's demons would most likely be a bad idea to have trying to sort things out.

I imagine there could be a Blackwing ex machina, but that only happens in the minds of playwrights. ;) Tina has always been a bundle of style... though not of tact.
DilyV wrote:Tina is probably shitting bricks at the moment because of the "do no harm" edict on her 'demons running the ship'.
Hunh. This is a good example of the limitations of that rule. I think Tina isn't upset in the final panel because she locked the doors with Jet watching, and then Jet ran into them later on her own volition. Compare Doubt shrugging off Monica running in front of the bus, but Tina freaking when she spilled hot coffee on Bud.

Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Wyvern wrote:
I'd be a regular customer if I lived in the neighborhood. :D
She really needs to start offering these:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5668 ... k.html.csp

Here in Manhattan they cut them in half like bagels and add more frosting, and then stack them with even more frosting.

On Earth 55, Tina's demons made her weigh 550 pounds by December 21, 2012.

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Yamara wrote:
DilyV wrote:Someone mentioned Kidnapping... I'm not so sure that would fit in this case because a. Jet didn't seem to be attempting to leave. It appears that Jet was doing a rage in place. b. It appears that Jet didn't know the doors were locked.

Right about now a call to Phix would be a real good idea.

Not a fan of kidnapping, but I felt that if Jet hadn't settled down, a brief poit to the top of the Library turret that Nudge fell out of would be in order. If the majesty of Limbo and the slow approach of her jaguar love interest--lecturing her with nowhere to run--wouldn't suit her Romantic soul, I don't know what would.

Of course, if they're going to just lie on top of each other on the floor.....

DilyV wrote:Tina's demons would most likely be a bad idea to have trying to sort things out.

I imagine there could be a Blackwing ex machina, but that only happens in the minds of playwrights. ;) Tina has always been a bundle of style... though not of tact.
DilyV wrote:Tina is probably shitting bricks at the moment because of the "do no harm" edict on her 'demons running the ship'.
Hunh. This is a good example of the limitations of that rule. I think Tina isn't upset in the final panel because she locked the doors with Jet watching, and then Jet ran into them later on her own volition. Compare Doubt shrugging off Monica running in front of the bus, but Tina freaking when she spilled hot coffee on Bud.
Tina knows she didn't intend harm either deliberately or not. The question isn't how Tina sees it... but how Phix sees it. Monica seems a bit protective of Tina so Phix would have to go through Monica to get to Tina I think... Imagine how the face off episode would affect Jet! Hoooo doggie! Tina seems somewhat contrite in the last panel, belatedly reminding Jet that the door was locked, which means Jet knew it had been locked, relieving Tina of any kidnapping or unlawful restraint charges.

Speaking of Blackwing... She's the part of Tina I think I like the most... certainly the most level headed... but I wonder if Blackwing is a distinct individual of the collective, or the result of a distinct agreement of the different minds within the collective that manifests that part of Tina...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Here in Manhattan they cut them in half like bagels and add more frosting, and then stack them with even more frosting.
"I can feel my arteries hardening, just being in the same room with it." (Dr. Stephen Franklin, Babylon 5, speaking of Garibaldi's fondue pot full of bagna cauda)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"Doissants," eh? I've heard people call those things "cronuts." Must be a regional thing.
Jay-Em wrote:
..and she has scones. With a bit of luck there's clotted cream too.
Alright, after Googling "clotted cream" I've decided it's not as gross as it sounds and I'd like to try it someday. :P
Jabberwonky wrote:Doogie Mauser R.I.P.
Whoa, head trip back to the '90s. Nice. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Just noticed this at the New York Times (paywall engages after 5 or so pageviews):

"My Life as a Warrior Princess" by Jennifer Sky

Seems relevant to Jet.

EDIT:

aaand yikes.

Yamara

Post by Yamara »

DilyV wrote:Speaking of Blackwing... She's the part of Tina I think I like the most... certainly the most level headed... but I wonder if Blackwing is a distinct individual of the collective, or the result of a distinct agreement of the different minds within the collective that manifests that part of Tina...
Almost anything's possible-- she doesn't even have a canon name yet-- but level-headed and responsible are traits Tina needs to keep and cultivate to become whole, so you may well be right.

Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Yamara wrote:Just noticed this at the New York Times (paywall engages after 5 or so pageviews):

"My Life as a Warrior Princess" by Jennifer Sky

Seems relevant to Jet.

EDIT:

aaand yikes.
I still find it amazing that so many people do not realize that the fashion industry is a murder machine for people young and old.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You know, we don't know exactly how old Georgette is...

Or when this little plane crash happened.

Or where.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yamara wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

Headlong flight.

Head-bonk collision.

Head gong ringing.

I can't quite justify claiming "Head-thong rebound" as the next one in the series, since this scene isn't taking place at the beach or on Monica's sandbar (may it R.I.P.)

Head along...except we don't have any little dogies. (At least I haven't seen Deitzel in this arc)
It's plural. Don't forget Baxter and Boo.
Git along little...hellspawn?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Dave wrote:This incident is really going to screw up Mocho Mocha's liability insurance rates. :(
Naw. She's insured with Mutual of OMG. They make allowances for this sort of thing.

The last time there was a "bond" between Georgette and Monica they weren't even in physical contact. This time ought to be a doozy. Especially with Georgette out and her mind being free to wander as it will. We know her sister was covered in blood in the crash, but we don't really know why yet. That was probably mentioned for a reason. Was it from the crash, or from what really caused the crash? Revelations may be forthcoming soon. Be prepared for big time suspension of disbelief, however. I mean, Georgette? Of all the characters to be involved in the paranormal, a transient one like her? Still, I await with mind open and hands sat on.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

KnightDelight wrote:I mean, Georgette? Of all the characters to be involved in the paranormal, a transient one like her?
People so far have been very accepting of the paranormal. This could be the perfect time to explore the possibility of a character finally reacting badly and resisting becoming part of the inner circle (unlike the Justin fakeout).
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Miss Julie wrote:Soo...I know that Tina said her doors were locked, but when did she do that? She was behind the counter the whole time she talked to Jet before calling M...and I seriously doubt that Jet would have just stood there and let Tina lock her in after that emotional unveiling. Does she have an auto-lock button behind the counter or something? :)
We don't see her actually doing it, but she said she did...
Yeah...but that's the thing...Why would someone who's been dragged through an emotional unveiling with a complete stranger stand idly by while that complete stranger locked her into a building/room? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. I don't doubt that Tina locked the doors "off-screen"...I just doubt that Georgette watched her do it without making a fuss. I know I'd have flipped out if a complete stranger locked me in somewhere...even without the emotional trauma.
Catawampus wrote:Hmmm. . .now that I think on it, Tina might be capable of what to ordinary people would appear to be telekinesis.

Given how many times various demons have been shown interacting with characters out in public, it seems that demons can choose to be visible to only certain people while simultaneously remaining invisible to most others.

We've also seen that demons can physically interact with the world around them, giving nose flicks or opening window blinds.

So it might be possible for one of Tina's constituent demons to leave her body, cross a room, and move stuff around without anybody else being able to see what was going on. It would just look as though Tina was standing on the far side of the room and magically moving things.

Not that I really think any such thing happened here (though hey, maybe it did), just that it's an ability she might have that I hadn't really considered much before. In this case, though, she probably just walked across the cafe and locked the doors while Georgette was standing stunned. Given what a conscientious business owner she is, she probably even put up the "CLOSED" sign and everything, and perhaps a little note apologising for shutting down early.
Okay...now that option makes a little more sense to me. It didn't occur to me that one of the demons may have jumped ship to lock the doors when Jet wasn't looking. Thank you for providing an explanation I could accept. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Headlong flight.

Head-bonk collision.

Head gong ringing.

I think subsequent events suggest:

Head / boob lassitude.