Snort 2015-01-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Snort 2015-01-23

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:the age of a certain doofus - unless she was lying to Shelly and Justin, she IS younger than the others...
She did. She is the younger sister of Nudge and was around while Nudge was still being given baths by her mother. THe comments between them after Monica threw Nudge in the lava clearly show They did grow up together, or I think they show that. lol.
Ummm... I'm not so sure they do. I just read through the whole lava-incident section, and all I could see was Nudge referring to the baths she was forced to take, Tsillah calling Nudge "sis", and Monica referring to this relationship later.

Tsillah pretty clearly knew Nudge couldn't be harmed by lava (she wasn't concerned for Nudge's safety), hence she probably knew about Nudge's childhood baths, but I don't see anything which says she was actually there (or even alive) when the baths happened.

Have I missed some relevant dialog?

Phix originally referred to Nudge in a way which suggests she's quite old ("one of the original tricksters" IIRC), and Euryale confirmed this (Nudge is older than she is, and Euryale is at least a couple of thousand years old).

Tsillah on the other hand was still in school when Shelly and Justin first met her. Tsillah could be very old and perpetually immature (some form of demigod development disability, perhaps) but this doesn't really jibe well with her apparently being in school in the manner of a normal teen.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

... who is Tsillah's Mom? And could that be her with canines embedded in stone?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Hmmm. Moving forward a bit from that one, i hit this one. We've been speculating about the age of a certain doofus - unless she was lying to Shelly and Justin, she IS younger than the others...
I think Tsillah is both younger *and* older than the other two.
  • "and you're the Sage of the Forrest! I heard about you at school."
Now, I'll probable get some (or most :p) of this wrong, but, from memory isn't Shelly-Sage of the Forrest over 60,000(?) years old.
(things got a bit wibbily wobbly timey wimey (tm) in that part of the story line)

So, in theory, Tsillah could have leant about Shelly-SotF well over 50,000+ thousand years ago :shock:
(although, it is most likely that it only happened very recently)

But emotionally wise, I'd definitely put her 'younger' than Atsali.

Heck, Atsali probably has more social interaction>development and is more 'worldly' than Tsillah as well.

So, Tsillah = very old but still very much a child?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

moving forward from the when Tsillah met Shelly & Justin,

who else thinks Nudge knew exactly what was going to happen when she waved her hands in front of them?

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/all-the-sparklie/
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DilyV wrote:I can almost imagine Atsali hopping from foot to foot, fretting over what she's just done...

Of course, I imagine the other ghouls or whatever that thing was are prolly looking up at him now saying: "You had one job...."
Nah. They're too busy rolling on the floor, laughing so hard bits are falling off, occasionally pointing and then going off into more laughter...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:... who is Tsillah's Mom?
I don't think we've ever been told that. Or, whether Nudge and Tsillah are full sisters or half-sisters, and (if the latter) whether they have mother or father in common.
Grantwhy wrote:Now, I'll probable get some (or most :p) of this wrong, but, from memory isn't Shelly-Sage of the Forrest over 60,000(?) years old.
(things got a bit wibbily wobbly timey wimey (tm) in that part of the story line)

So, in theory, Tsillah could have leant about Shelly-SotF well over 50,000+ thousand years ago :shock:

Heck, Atsali probably has more social interaction>development and is more 'worldly' than Tsillah as well.

Shelly is over 80,000 years old (56 Calendar Machine time loops of over 1500 years each), not just 60,000... but what's a few tens of millennia among friends? :)

We don't know whether Tsillah was "outside" of the time loops the way Phix was, or stuck inside like Jin and Brandi and Bud.

Tsilllah said that she'd learned about The Sage in school, said "I'm growing my hair out like yours" and asked for Shelly's autograph. The "hair growing out" bit sounds to me like an active (and fairly new) case of hero worship, suggesting that she only learned about Shelly recently. That, plus the still-in-school bit, makes me think she's actually fairly young in years.

As to her lack of worldliness and maturity, compared to Atsali... Atsali is an orphan, with the "having to grow up too soon" stuff that often comes with that... facing the death of her parents, growing up in an orphanage, being a big sister to Castela. School of hard knocks, and all that.

Tsillah is the daughter of at least one extremely powerful (presumably immortal) mythic being, and her position with the Library and MIB suggests that she's growing up in an atmosphere of power and privilege. You could perhaps consider Tsillah to be like a rich politician's kid... a bit sheltered, a bit of a brat, and used to being allowed to have her own way. Maybe not as socially isolated as Calista, but she hasn't had to face the sort of challenges as Atsali has, or to make her own way in life.
Grantwhy wrote:who else thinks Nudge knew exactly what was going to happen when she waved her hands in front of them?
Oh, absolutely I think she did! Pranksters will be pranksters... I think she instantly recognized Tsillah's handiwork and just had to have her little bit of fun. Sorta the way she braided up Connie's hair... it's in her nature, she can't pass up any opportunity to invoke the Law of Funny.
eee

Post by eee »

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. Yet with strange aeons even death may die."

Of course, none of that helps when you're embedded in the ceiling...
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

lake_wrangler wrote:The first three panels bring back memories... 8-)
Atsli is at least part sphinx. . .or at least acts just like a sphinx in reflex combat mode. . .
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Dave wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:who else thinks Nudge knew exactly what was going to happen when she waved her hands in front of them?
Oh, absolutely I think she did! Pranksters will be pranksters... I think she instantly recognized Tsillah's handiwork and just had to have her little bit of fun.
Thirded!

Plausible deniability notwithstanding, my impression ever was and still remains that she knew exactly what she was doing. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:Tsillah is the daughter of at least one extremely powerful (presumably immortal) mythic being, and her position with the Library and MIB suggests that she's growing up in an atmosphere of power and privilege. You could perhaps consider Tsillah to be like a rich politician's kid... a bit sheltered, a bit of a brat, and used to being allowed to have her own way.
She's interning with MiB to get some of that "real world" experience, and it's working about as well as it usually does with rich kids who intern in the family business offices or the offices of their parents' good friends' corporations...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

I'm starting to think the skull-thing might not even be supernatural, but rather technological.
AnotherFairportfan

starkruzr wrote:I'm starting to think the skull-thing might not even be supernatural, but rather technological.
A clockwork horror...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atsali: "Get back in here, you guys!"
Tsillah: "Oh my gosh... what the heck? Cousin Itt? What are you doing here?"
Itt: *groans*
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Dave wrote:Tsillah is the daughter of at least one extremely powerful (presumably immortal) mythic being, and her position with the Library and MIB suggests that she's growing up in an atmosphere of power and privilege. You could perhaps consider Tsillah to be like a rich politician's kid... a bit sheltered, a bit of a brat, and used to being allowed to have her own way.
She's interning with MiB to get some of that "real world" experience, and it's working about as well as it usually does with rich kids who intern in the family business offices or the offices of their parents' good friends' corporations...
There is another possible explanation of the age thing. Given who her daddy is she could have done something long ago much like bia and have gotten a time out or a reset like Bia did.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Dave wrote:Atsali: "Get back in here, you guys!"
Tsillah: "Oh my gosh... what the heck? Cousin Itt? What are you doing here?"
Itt: *groans*
Atsali: "I didnt mean it!"
Tsillah: "I dont know wheither to run in terror that daddy is gonna be ticked or run in terror that you could do that to daddy. Please daddy pull yourself together now is not the time to go to pieces."
Nadette: "I found another leg piece over here, i love puzzles don't you guys?"
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

oldmanmickey wrote:Elongated ears, enhanced speed, enhanced precision, yep warbird is a warrior for sure. I suggest no surprise parties in her future. I also don't see any boys taking advantage of her or at lest not an live to tell about it.
It'll get her kicked out of a few bars and make here a welcomed hero at others.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Grantwhy wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Hmmm. Moving forward a bit from that one, i hit this one. We've been speculating about the age of a certain doofus - unless she was lying to Shelly and Justin, she IS younger than the others...
I think Tsillah is both younger *and* older than the other two.
  • "and you're the Sage of the Forrest! I heard about you at school."
Now, I'll probable get some (or most :p) of this wrong, but, from memory isn't Shelly-Sage of the Forrest over 60,000(?) years old.

Only Paul knows for sure.

Though I know I postulated Tsilah and Nudge probably had quite the age gap earlier this week.
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Gyrrakavian wrote:It'll get her kicked out of a few bars and make here a welcomed hero at others.
She, Shelly and Jet will be a known and respected (or else) team.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:It'll get her kicked out of a few bars and make here a welcomed hero at others.
She, Shelly and Jet will be a known and respected (or else) team.
Considering that she's sorta the adoptive niece of Aaron Sullivan's granddaughter, she'd be likely to find a welcome in at least one bar.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

What Tisallah told Shelly and Justin is misleading. We cannot assume she is in high school from that comment. Now her appearance does contribute a lot towards thinking she is very young but that is a shadow image she presents to others. She does not say what school she is in on what she is learning. While it could be high school it could also be college, contining adult education. It could be training to take a higher level position in MIB. We don't know. From the comments I think it is safe to assume the mom is the common element for Nudge and Tisallah. How far apart they are we don't know. We do know that nudge was out and about on her own a long time ago as she had been locked up in the library by other gods. While mom may have shared stories I think the wording Tisalliah used would be different if she had only been told about the baths. "Mom always said you hated those baths." type of wording.
So our favorite doofus and mistress of lack of tact is a lot older than we think. She's just never grown up mentally.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.