Call It Even 2014-04-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Call It Even 2014-04-10

Post by jwhouk »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:I don't think Dylan (the pizza delivery girl) still works there any more. That's an awful long time to deliver pizza.
Unless, of course, she's related to Mercury. That gremlin may just be the modern manifestation of G'pas magic sneakers.
Ah, you made the same mistake I made. That's a Rabbit (aka a "Golf" for you non-USA'nians).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Lily smoking? I don't think we've seen that before... I wouldn't have pegged her for a smoker.

Bagel... close but no (exploding) cigar Castela...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Well, just because we haven't seen Suzi yet, doesn't mean she's not there. She is Lilly's partner after all; like Lethal Weapon, they do tend to socialize with each other after work.

I'm sure Phix has some unresolved issues with Bia, however, Phix is trying to improve herself. If there is any physical repercussions at this time... well it's gonna be a spanking is my guess. I have a sneaking suspicion that Phix likes children and they bring out the parental instincts in her and at the moment Bia is really a child.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

So much for vampires having difficulty with sunlight.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

As one of my Comanche grandpas once said, "Never cuss. It sounds like Hell, and don't do a Damn thing for you!"
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I'd pick a bagel (or carrot sticks) over a doughnut just about any time. Although now I'm wondering if there's much of a market for sugar-glazed bagels.
jwhouk wrote:. . .you non-USA'nians.
They let those get online now?!?
DilyV wrote:Lily smoking? I don't think we've seen that before... I wouldn't have pegged her for a smoker.
Yup. Apparently she got a working lighter. I suppose that lung cancer isn't much of a concern any longer, though discoloured fangs might be rather unsightly.
starkruzr wrote:So much for vampires having difficulty with sunlight.
What we don't see is the two hours she spent previously slathering on the layers of sunblock lotion. . .
kingklash wrote:As one of my Comanche grandpas once said, "Never cuss. It sounds like Hell, and don't do a Damn thing for you!"
I don't have anything against swearing per se, I just think that some people do it too much to the point where it becomes meaningless. I can swear quite fluently in a multitude of different languages, but I generally don't. If I do, then you know that I am seriously displeased with you and am about to throw you through a window or somesuch.

I have noticed a rather amusing side effect of that: people who generally cuss all of the time stop doing it when they're around me, and get embarrassed if they slip up and do so. And it's not as though I even say anything to them about their language, because I really don't care. Of course, they also tend to become much more mindful of their grammar as well as their vocabulary.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

She'd be happier with a fragel, methinks...
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

There's a bakery chain - Panera Bread - and they have one here in Fort Smith. They make yummy fruit bagels that Castela would go for,with nowhere near the sugar of a donut. I'm sure other places make similar - maybe even Becky.

Darn, now I'm gonna have to go to the store....nomnomnom
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There are Panera Bread stores in MSP. Trust me.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DilyV wrote:Lily smoking? I don't think we've seen that before... I wouldn't have pegged her for a smoker.
If you're immortal, why not?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

jwhouk wrote:There are Panera Bread stores in MSP. Trust me.
I don't doubt it. Their stuff is good but priced a bit above average. But that thought goes away when the AROMA hits, just like every bakery.... :D
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:I don't think Dylan (the pizza delivery girl) still works there any more. That's an awful long time to deliver pizza.
Unless, of course, she's related to Mercury. That gremlin may just be the modern manifestation of G'pas magic sneakers.
Not a Gremlin, I owned one and the hood on that car is too short to be a Gremlin. It looks like a VW Rabbit.

ETA: Ninja'd by jwhouk.
Last edited by Opus the Poet on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Not a Gremlin, I owned one and the hood on that car is too short to be a Gremlin. It looks like a VW Rabbit.
Ahem.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

Thanks for the link to the picture including Dylan's car. For those who don't know the two cars, they do look pretty similar from the side (like many subcompacts of that era) but the VW Rabbit has larger backseat windows than the AMC Gremlin. The solid panel aft of the windows on a Rabbit looks like this // while on a Gremlin it looks like this /\ (yes ascii art is limited). So upon consideration I must agree that Dylan does not drive a Gremlin. That era's Honda Civic also looks a lot like a Rabbit (my first car was an '82 Civic), particularly from the side, and neither one seems to quite match the headlight style in the drawing. Does anyone else have a model guess?
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I was thinking '77/'78 Civic:

But the fuel filler's the wrong shape and on the wrong side. (I owned a '77 Civic, but i couldn't remember the filler details)

However, pretty sure it's an early-80s VW Rabbit:

Note the front bumper, lights, sail area/C pillar, trim strip and fuel filler. (That's an '81 in the picture)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

ETA: Ninja'd by jwhouk.
The Gremlin was a Hornet chopped off at the rear window.

With the big honkin' 238 CID straight six in the nose, its weight distribution was not just bad, it was heinous.

Any kind of quick maneuvers or hard braking in less-than-perfect traction conditions inspired the rear end with a strong desire to see what was going on up ahead.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Believe me, I know about these things - I lived through that time frame, since that was the era I was starting to be a car guy.

The only other car it could have been was an Omni/Horizon from MoPar, but it wouldn't be in very good condition in the northern climate of MSP. (This I also know; I've seen a 1980's Omni-rizon around here, and the doors were half rusted away and a liberal amount of duct tape was used to keep the windows in place.)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Heh. During final pre-production testing of the Omnirizon, when comparing it to the Rabbit, even Chrysler engineers sometimes mistook one for the other at a quick glance.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Fairportfan wrote:I was thinking '77/'78 Civic...But the fuel filler's the wrong shape and on the wrong side. (I owned a '77 Civic, but i couldn't remember the filler details) However, pretty sure it's an early-80s VW Rabbit:
Note the front bumper, lights, sail area/C pillar, trim strip and fuel filler. (That's an '81 in the picture)

Very nice! For some reason most of the Rabbit pictures I found showed the driver's side not the passenger side, so I wasn't entirely sure about the Rabbit's gas cap. (My first car was an '82 Civic, which didn't look a whole lot different from the '78 you showed.) I think the turn signals on that '81 Rabbit fit Dylan's car pretty well.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

That was the result of several a visit to Wikipedia to get the model years right and some minutes of googling.
=====================
=====================
mike weber