Island Party 2014-02-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Island Party 2014-02-07

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Ok, I don't even drink, and the concept of a high-quality scotch whiskey being kept by a sphinx for hundreds of years sends shivers down my spine.
A centuries-old whiskey would. . .probably be rather horrible, actually. While scotch is one of those drinks that does get improved by aging (as long as it is in the barrel, at least), even it has its limits. You reach a point where you go from, "Mmmm, tasty!" to "Ummm, was this from the barrel that Lord Nelson was kept in?".

The Library would have every brewing and distilling recipe that was ever jotted down, though, and Phix would have had a lot of time to experiment with building stills and whatnot. . .
Oh. I didn't know that. Hooray for anecdotal information!

And I agree with Phix having time to experiment. She's probably had a millennia or two where absolutely nothing was happening. I can't imagine how bored she'd get. Nudge, too, before Oedipus mucked everything up.
There are many things in this universe that should never be underestimated... "Smart people with nothing better to do" ranks above "Stupid people with nothing better to do" but slightly below "Stupid people in large groups".
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
illiad

Post by illiad »

found! 117 year old whiskey... :)
good condition too, thanks to deep freeze..

more found in an attic, but waiting for 2017 ...
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

And the bets are open for who's the first to start dancing on the tabletops!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

kingklash wrote:And the bets are open for who's the first to start dancing on the tabletops!
Phix First!! it's been a REALLY looong time since she was able to really let loose... and not in an "I'm-angry-so-i'm-a-bit-hungry" way either...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

kingklash wrote:And the bets are open for who's the first to start dancing on the tabletops!
Hmmmm.

Monica seems to not be all that active when she gets tipsy, being more sedate. I wonder how astral fire and alcohol react together?

Bud, Brandi and Jin have ample experience with being thoroughly smashed, so it might take a bit to get them to the point where they start doing crazy things due to alcohol. Of course, Bud tends to do crazy things without any alcohol being involved, so she might start dancing on the tables before anybody even opens the keg.

Phix has spent approximately twenty zillion years self-exiled in the Library, only recently allowing herself out into the world. She's probably not had a lot of opportunities for social drinking, aside from having a glass or two of wine with Dr. Fields. So not only might she not be used to it, but she's also only just now trying to be more outgoing and adventurous.

Tina's a collection of independent entities working together. If they get drunk, they might lose their ability to work in harmony. So rather than dancing on the tables, an inebriated Tina might just sort of lie there on the sand twitching randomly as various demons each try to do their own thing. Plus, who knows what double-vision is like when you can see eleven dimensions; she might see the tables in some horrifying way and spend the rest of the day hiding from them.

Nudge will probably be too busy trying to get people drunk and then taking embarrassing pictures of them, or teasing a tipsy Jaguar Girl with a laser pointer.

Euryale. . .who knows? She might simply burn off the alcohol through atomic hugs as fast as she drinks it. She might not want to drink much, anyway, in case her snakelets get themselves all tangled up into a knot. Although a passel of drunkenly affectionate snakes might be fun to watch: snake kisses for everybody!!! (Is that how herpes started?)

On a not quite related but not quite unrelated note, I find it amusing that while everybody else is dressing down for the beach, Nudge has actually dressed up. She's not in the all-fur attire that is her norm when she's in her full-on Nudge form. I suppose that you can't have wild swimwear shenanigans without any swimwear to start with. Also, I wonder if Monica owes her a cannoli to go with her beer.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

NOTDilbert wrote:Hopefully Tepoz is there to detoxify those who have over-induldged to the point the can't shoot (or poit) straight. Even moreso, if that's one of Nudge's concoctions.... :mrgreen:
If they have Tepoz along Nudge doesn't need to bring a keg.

Interesting, I believe that only Kathryn of the main characters has ever been seen drinking a beer.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

My2Cents wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Hopefully Tepoz is there to detoxify those who have over-induldged to the point the can't shoot (or poit) straight. Even moreso, if that's one of Nudge's concoctions.... :mrgreen:
If they have Tepoz along Nudge doesn't need to bring a keg.

Interesting, I believe that only Kathryn of the main characters has ever been seen drinking a beer.
We've seen Monica knock a few back at various times - mostly at home, or watching Ghost Hunters with Amanda...
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Ethanol probably burns in much the same manner as Monica's astral fire, so in all likelihood only Tina would see the excess alcohol being burnt off.

(In our "Dr. Hazdra's Chemical Magic Show" we used ethanol and methanol in hidden alcohol lamps to "mystically" set things on fire.)
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Timotheus wrote:Ethanol probably burns in much the same manner as Monica's astral fire, so in all likelihood only Tina would see the excess alcohol being burnt off.
Unless Monica was wearing Coppertone sunblock. Given the emission wavelengths of burning cupric salts, this might lead to Euryale declaring, "Wut 'n the name uv blue blazes?!?"
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

If the Library has records of everything ever written, anywhere in the Unifarce, that may well not be an Earthly brew in that keg!
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

davids4250 wrote:If the Library has records of everything ever written, anywhere in the Unifarce, that may well not be an Earthly brew in that keg!
Or for that matter, some primo vintage Egyptian Mead!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

Catawampus wrote:
The Library would have every brewing and distilling recipe that was ever jotted down, though, and Phix would have had a lot of time to experiment with building stills and whatnot. . .
Just think the Library has the Colonel's Original Recipe mix and Coca Cola's original recipe stored somewhere in there. :o It would also have copies of all of Tesla's notes that were seized by the government after his death. :shock:
Last edited by JSStryker on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vive la weird!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

JSStryker wrote:Just think the Library has the Colonel's Original Recipe mix and Coca Cola's original recipe stored somewhere in there. :o It would also have copies of all of Tesla's notes that were seized by the government after his death. :shock:
Or Tesla's forgotten Coca-Cola recipe. . .
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Catawampus wrote:
JSStryker wrote:Just think the Library has the Colonel's Original Recipe mix and Coca Cola's original recipe stored somewhere in there. :o It would also have copies of all of Tesla's notes that were seized by the government after his death. :shock:
Would that make one of those curled up "crazy straws" the equivalent of a Tesla coil?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

JSStryker, you might want to fix that quote in your last post. Catawampus said that, not me.
No worries, I'm not mad, or anything. :) I've just seen users and moderators on other forums really get their knickers in a twist over stuff like this. :roll:

Now, to add to the discussion...
Catawampus wrote:
Could you imagine the havoc a member of Anonymous or someone like Julian Assange could cause if they had access to the Library?
...hmmm...
How does the Library's security "book-turns-to-dust-if-act-of-violence-happens-too-close-to-it" protocol works? Could sharing certain knowledge be considered an act of knowledge? What if the person doing the sharing thinks they are truly doing something good?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Atomic wrote:
davids4250 wrote:If the Library has records of everything ever written, anywhere in the Unifarce, that may well not be an Earthly brew in that keg!
Or for that matter, some primo vintage Egyptian Mead!
I hope the mead doesn't have to be drunk through a filter straw, like the Egyptian beer.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Atomic wrote:Or for that matter, some primo vintage Egyptian Mead!
I hope the mead doesn't have to be drunk through a filter straw, like the Egyptian beer.....
Well, in late Bronze Age Greece and Anatolia and that general region, the fashionable drink was a mixture of mead, beer, and wine. And then they'd add in some sap from pine trees for flavouring. I'm not sure how that mix would resinate with modern drinkers, however.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Catawampus wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:
Atomic wrote:Or for that matter, some primo vintage Egyptian Mead!
Well, in late Bronze Age Greece and Anatolia and that general region, the fashionable drink was a mixture of mead, beer, and wine. And then they'd add in some sap from pine trees for flavouring. I'm not sure how that mix would resinate with modern drinkers, however.
Hint -- avoid the Natron chaser. It's stiff.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
illiad

Post by illiad »

Atomic wrote: Hint -- avoid the Natron chaser. It's stiff.
googled that, thinking some scifi ref... but no, its real!! :o :shock: go on if you want to be freaked... :P
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Catawampus wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Ethanol probably burns in much the same manner as Monica's astral fire, so in all likelihood only Tina would see the excess alcohol being burnt off.
Unless Monica was wearing Coppertone sunblock. Given the emission wavelengths of burning cupric salts, this might lead to Euryale declaring, "Wut 'n the name uv blue blazes?!?"
Now the pun jar is blue.