March 12, 2020 (aka COVID-19 thread)

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: March 12, 2020 (aka COVID-19 thread)

Post by Alkarii »

Those I had seen on video, where they had the armed protests (kinda odd how they didn't have any violence there), they were wearing facial coverings. I believe it was somewhere up north, but I can't really remember.

Unless, of course, those protestors were not uniformly wearing masks, in which case it's certainly possible to get pictures and videos that show conflicting imagery for the same event. If one person takes a picture where everyone is wearing a mask, and someone behind them is facing a completely different direction, the group of people they're seeing could all not be wearing masks.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:09 am Given how people who voted Democrat are celebrating in the streets, you'd think they were the side that was against most of the safety restrictions and all that.
Funny, but every video I've seen of people dancing in the streets, they were wearing masks.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I didn't say they weren't, and it doesn't matter anyway. If folks aren't allowed to sing in church while wearing masks, like in California, or businesses can only have so many people inside, regardless of whether or not they're wearing masks, then why is that same standard not being applied to Democrat voters? The fact that they're outside doesn't matter. From what I've seen, they're standing too close together.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Canada's mask standard evolves once again, apparently...

<
Dave

Post by Dave »

Updated CDC mask guidelines have just been released. The revisions are based on the results of multiple community studies in the US and elsewhere.

Summary: consistent universal mask wearing can cut the spread of COVID-19 by around 70%. This reflects spread in both directions: if you wear a mask, you're protecting other people from a COVID-19 infection that you might have, and you're protecting yourself significantly from other peoples' infections.

A couple of sentences in the latter part of the discussion are crucial:
Center For Disease Control wrote:An economic analysis using U.S. data found that, given these effects, increasing universal masking by 15% could prevent the need for lockdowns and reduce associated losses of up to $1 trillion or about 5% of gross domestic product....

... Adopting universal masking policies can help avert future lockdowns, especially if combined with other non-pharmaceutical interventions such as social distancing, hand hygiene, and adequate ventilation.
If you don't like lockdowns (and I imagine none of us do), the best way to avoid them and save lives is to wear a mask, respect social distancing, wash your hands, and avoid crowding in poorly-ventilated areas.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... -cov2.html

The article cites no less than 45 references. Feel free to download 'em and study the reports and research for yourself.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I really don't understand why people have such a hard time keeping their distance from anyone else. The only thing about this that I have to do that I wasn't already doing is wearing a mask (up until they made a mask mandate for the whole state), and I have to do that while at work, including when I'm making my deliveries.

Just glad I don't have to wear it while driving, because that would be stupid as hell.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

We were already obligated to wear masks when entering public buildings and businesses, and as of the beginning of September, when taking public transit, taxis, Ubers, or even carpooling.

But they still imposed new lockdowns on us when the "cases" upticked...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:56 pm We were already obligated to wear masks when entering public buildings and businesses, and as of the beginning of September, when taking public transit, taxis, Ubers, or even carpooling.

But they still imposed new lockdowns on us when the "cases" upticked...
Because too much is never enough.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Wrangler, from the last pages post- appreciated. We need to be able to be heard without fearing the reception. One of the basic frustrations of mine, from way back when, is being understood...

That said, here is a link to an article in the L.A. Times;. https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ep-working

San Francisco, long hailed for beating COVID-19, now faces a spike in cases
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

So many counties in Wisconsin have exceeded the highest classification for COVID-19 case surges that the state’s Department of Health Services was forced to create a whole new category.

“Far too many of our communities are in a dire situation,” DHS Deputy Secretary Julie Willems Van Dijk has said. “To put these new data in perspective, Wisconsin is now seeing more average cases per day than New York City did at the peak of its surge last spring.”

The previous top category, “Very High,” included counties that had exceeded 350 cases per 100,000 residents over a two-week period. As of this week, every single one of the state’s 72 counties had more than doubled that metric. “Because of these critically high levels of disease, public health can no longer adequately contact trace, hospital beds are filled with patients with COVID-19, and too many Wisconsin families are losing loved ones to this virus,” Willems Van Dihk said.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

A passenger tested positive for COVID-19 Wednesday on SeaDream Yacht Club’s SeaDream 1, the first cruise in the Caribbean since March, sending crew and passengers scrambling to isolate, according to The Points Guy. Reporter Gene Sloan, who is aboard the ship, said SeaDream’s protocol required its 53 passengers to test negative for COVID-19 twice, one several days before boarding and again on boarding day. The ship’s captain told passengers that the infected person had felt ill before the test, and the crew was now assuming that it had one or more positive cases on board. Passengers were set to be tested a third time on Wednesday using rapid test machines, which can be less accurate than PCR tests.

The captain said the ship would immediately return to Barbados, bringing an end to the cruise. It had visited St. Vincent and the Grenadine islands of Canouan and Tobago Cays, but had not come into contact with any locals. Barbadian health authorities were set to board the ship to test passengers and crew as of Wednesday, with the possibility of testing being deferred to Thursday morning.
{original story at The Points Guy}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

More than 130 Secret Service officers who help protect the White House and the president when he travels have recently been ordered to isolate or quarantine because they tested positive for the coronavirus or had close contact with infected co-workers, according to three people familiar with agency staffing.
Follow the latest on Election 2020

The spread of the coronavirus — which has sidelined roughly 10 percent of the agency’s core security team — is believed to be partly linked to a series of campaign rallies that President Trump held in the weeks before the Nov. 3 election, according to the people, who, like others interviewed for this report, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the situation.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'm not trying to prompt a discussion on the accuracy of the statement below (although I do think that's a fair probability), but rather I am amused by the imagery the statement uses for an analogy...

I have now heard this said in a number of Rebel News videos (though I forget the exact wording):
"Trying to stop the coronavirus with a face mask is like trying to stop a pea with a chain-link fence."
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:05 am I'm not trying to prompt a discussion on the accuracy of the statement below (although I do think that's a fair probability), but rather I am amused by the imagery the statement uses for an analogy...

I have now heard this said in a number of Rebel News videos (though I forget the exact wording):
"Trying to stop the coronavirus with a face mask is like trying to stop a pea with a chain-link fence."
It's one of those sort of sound-bites which is pithy, catchy, seems to be clever and meaningful and a "win"...

... and is largely irrelevant to the actual situation, and (based on actual evidence) implies something which is wrong-in-practice and which is going to end up killing people.

The reason it's largely irrelevant (even if "true in theory") is that the coronavirus is usually not spread by individual viruses (which are, it's true, too small to be filtered out by a face mask).

COVID-19 is spread primarily by droplets of fluid (coughed or sneezed or spoken or just exhaled) which contain large numbers of virus particles clumped together. These droplets are much, much larger than individual viruses... in many cases they're large enough to see. Masks do a good job at stopping these - not a perfect job, but a good enough job to cut down the infection rate by quite a lot.

So, what this slogan implies is sorta-true, but irrelevant to the actual situation we are facing.

A more accurate analogy would be "Trying to stop the coronavirus with a face mask is like trying to use a chain-link fence to block baseballs and basketballs that have a bunch of peas stuck to them." Yeah, the occasional pea may get through, but most are blocked.

The evidence that masks work against coronavirus spread isn't just theoretical. The CDC's recent update to their recommendations cites at least 7 epidemiological studies done this year which show that universal masking cuts the infection rate.

Cute little sound bites like this... well, I think they just give people a cheap and comforting excuse for not looking at the facts. They're the sugar-laden junk food of understanding.

Sorry if that stings, but that's how I see it.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Like I said, whether it's true or not, I still like the imagery of the analogy. I find it amusing. That is all.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

How long until we see someone in a sitcom popping someone's mask like a bra strap?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And now, for some levity... :D

And now, for a different kind of virus alert...

There are more, and I'm sifting through them, but I want to make sure to post these, so I don't accidentally lose them. I'll post more in a following post.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Applause, applause! You're doing great work here.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

More levity... :D

What this guy's video lacks in production value, compared with some of the videos to which I linked in my previous post, he makes up for in enthusiasm (and original cosplay):

Part 2:

Part 3:

Bloopers:

The making of the previous videos' cosplay ...

Same guy, this time it's the Avengers team facing the lockdown...

2020 Portrayed by Marvel

2020 Portrayed by Star Wars

This one is not so much a parody, as much as a propaganda piece for wearing masks. But it's done well, so some may still enjoy listening to it.

Back to parodies...

(The next two videos are from a guy who has a 26 song playlist of coronavirus parodies in his feed, all his...)

Another video of the Covid Rhapsody, this time sung by members of a choir

And of course, one from one of my favorite singers, Ray Stevens:

And to finish off (I did, after all, fall asleep during one of the videos I was watching for this compilation, so maybe it's time I wrap this up...), here's one that is not directly coronavirus related, but should still put the fear of, well, everything, in you:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Annnnnd, back to the serious stuff...

This video is strictly about the happenings in Canada.