Business As Usual 2012-12-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Business As Usual 2012-12-21

Post by Fairportfan »

Is this in or out of continuity?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Re: Business As Usual 2012-12-21

Post by Yamara »

Oh, let it shine. C'mon. Let everybody just sing along. And let the sun shine on in. Open up your heart, and let it shine on you when you are lonely. Hey, let it shine. Did you open up your heart and let it shine on you? And when you feel you that you've been mistreated, and your friends turn their backs upon you, just open up your heart, let it shine on you. You got to feel it. You got to feel it. Ah, open up your heart, and let it shine on in. And let me tell you one thing. I want you to sing along with the 5th Dimension. Hey, open up your heart. Ah, come on, and let it shine. Glory Day. Hey, you got to feel it. You got to feel it when you open up your heart, you got to let the sun come over you. Now I say it in the morning, and I say it the evening, open up your heart. Hey!
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yep! And about time after all! Good thing, too, cause they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those pesky kids! Er, sphinxes -- no... gorgons. Wait -- ah... oh, never mind.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

As with all celebratory beverages, pulque' is best enjoyed in moderation.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

That's exactly how I sit in my comfy chair.

Happy apocalypse everyone! Anyone have any New (Mayan Bak'tun) Year's resolutions for the next 5122 years?
Shonkin

Post by Shonkin »

To Fairportfan: Look at today's date. Who needs continuity when the sun is up and the world didn't end? :D
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Fairportfan wrote:Is this in or out of continuity?
Either way, I think M was using the end of the Mayan long count as an excuse to be late for work this morning. Funny, considering what she knows about it.
txmystic wrote:That's exactly how I sit in my comfy chair.

Happy apocalypse everyone! Anyone have any New (Mayan Bak'tun) Year's resolutions for the next 5122 years?
To lose ten pounds in the next millenium or so.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Well my continuity test meter is beeping vigorously.

This means that the situation, as stressful as it as been, is resulting in no more than ten OMMM!s of resistance.
Yamara wrote:Let everybody just sing along.
Are we singing the new front song, or the new back tune?

(*clink*clink*)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Shonkin wrote:To Fairportfan: Look at today's date. Who needs continuity when the sun is up and the world didn't end? :D
That would make the joke work alright.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

txmystic wrote:That's exactly how I sit in my comfy chair.

Get rich, gather a harem, get to my ideal weight, and develop a useful and reliable electric bicycle for the masses when the oil runs out, kind of a Model T for the next millenium. And also develop a chain of solar power stations that can recharge the bikes, sell drinks and snacks, and otherwise act like gas stations/convenience stores in a post-oil era. :twisted: :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Shonkin wrote:To Fairportfan: Look at today's date. Who needs continuity when the sun is up and the world didn't end? :D
Didn't you get the memo? Not until 12 noon sidereal wherever the Mayan religious capital city was. Basically we can't breathe easy until 1300 CST.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Didn't you get the memo? Not until 12 noon sidereal wherever the Mayan religious capital city was. Basically we can't breathe easy until 1300 CST.
Solstice is at 5:11 or 5:12 am Central Time, which includes the Maya heartland. So we can breathe easy until then!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Yamara wrote:Solstice is at 5:11 or 5:12 am Central Time, which includes the Maya heartland. So we can breathe easy until then!
OK, I'll go to bed now. If the world ends at solstice, don't bother to wake me... I'll need my rest to deal with the afterlife.

G'night, all... sleep well! See you next baktun! :)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

txmystic wrote:Happy apocalypse everyone! Anyone have any New (Mayan Bak'tun) Year's resolutions for the next 5122 years?
Nah. Several Bak'tuns ago, I made a resolution to never again make another New Bak'tun resolution; it's the only one I've ever kept, without caving in after a few centuries.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

If this is part of the current arc, then the next question is "what work is she referring to?" Museum job or Jaguar job? If it's the latter, how does she know it's time and why is she not upset about it? She was none too pleased to become JG. Has she decided to go with the flow now?

Here we sit in Ambiguityville once again. Pushing back in the comfy recliner of doubt and drinking in the foolaid.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

MerchManDan wrote:
txmystic wrote:Happy apocalypse everyone! Anyone have any New (Mayan Bak'tun) Year's resolutions for the next 5122 years?
Nah. Several Bak'tuns ago, I made a resolution to never again make another New Bak'tun resolution; it's the only one I've ever kept, without caving in after a few centuries.
Right Bak'tun atcha! I've had my holiday Bak'tun stone wheel decorated in the traditional red simulated human flesh garland and skull ornaments for weeks now. Plan to celebrate this time with a ritual of self flagellation and the usual simulated human sacrifice. Bought my human shaped pinata a month ago and had already purchased my black beheading axe last century (real metal, none of this fake plastic crap). My neighbors kids are really looking forward to the "Behead the Sacrifice" game with it's resulting gush of red candy treats. The red licorice is a special favorite and adds that touch of realism that makes the occasion just right. Afterwards we all plan to have the traditional maze feast and sing Bak'tun carols. I especially like "Oh Holey Chest" and the "Heart Ripping Good Time" round. Sing with me! 999 hearts in the chests, 999 hearts ... rip one out and pass it about, 998 hearts in the chests ... Everyone now! 998 hearts ...
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Well just about an hour to go here in CST - 5:12am - totally cool when a arbitrary calendar system reaches a roll-over or toggle point. It is just neat to be around to see the Mayan long count cycle over.

Within the world Wapsi this also brings up an odd "what date is it?" synchronization question. In the strip, is today December 21st, 2012?
If so then we have a known time within the context of strip events. This strip oddly does not lock this down as Monica could just be drinking again in the morning, possibly to help with a hangover from the night before, or it could just be water... but given her track record my interpretation is Vodka and soda.

Also - if it is the date of the reset of the calendar then this is also the point at which (in the Wapsi Universe) time had reset 57 or so times previously.

This is also the point at which the Library will begin to actually get new information in addition to the 57 or so copies and variations of preceding works.
We no longer have the ability to read the future at the Library. (The time between the destruction of the calendar machine and the previous iterations)
Remember Brandi writing to herself?

From this point on - given that the Wapsi world does not end - none of the characters will know the future.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Right Bak'tun atcha! I've had my holiday Bak'tun stone wheel decorated in the traditional red simulated human flesh garland and skull ornaments for weeks now. Plan to celebrate this time with a ritual of self flagellation and the usual simulated human sacrifice. Bought my human shaped pinata a month ago and had already purchased my black beheading axe last century (real metal, none of this fake plastic crap). My neighbors kids are really looking forward to the "Behead the Sacrifice" game with it's resulting gush of red candy treats. The red licorice is a special favorite and adds that touch of realism that makes the occasion just right. Afterwards we all plan to have the traditional maze feast and sing Bak'tun carols. I especially like "Oh Holey Chest" and the "Heart Ripping Good Time" round. Sing with me! 999 hearts in the chests, 999 hearts ... rip one out and pass it about, 998 hearts in the chests ... Everyone now! 998 hearts ...
Forget the family trip, I want to come celebrate at your house!
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Bak'tun, bak'tun, who's got the bak'tun?

illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave wrote:
Well my continuity test meter is beeping vigorously.

This means that the situation, as stressful as it as been, is resulting in no more than ten OMMM!s of resistance.
Yamara wrote:Let everybody just sing along.
Are we singing the new front song, or the new back tune?

(*clink*clink*)
well I think someone is actually very busy... you DO know what day it is on Tuesday, dont you???????