More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: More Stuff

Post by Catawampus »

Typeminer wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:37 amI was just as fond of peanuts and beer way before it bit me, I swear! :lol:
Squirrel bites are retroactive and radioactive! Aaaaaaa!
Alkarii wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:53 amYou'd think, with 26 years of experience in data entry, she could land a job like that.
Ah, but if somebody hires a woman with 26 years of experience, then they'd be expected to pay her proportionately. So instead they'd rather hire somebody inexperienced so that they can just pay them minimum wage. Even better if they can hire two inexperienced people who will be given only part-time hours, so that they don't have to give the workers any benefits!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Just a friendly little tip: if you're going to order something over the internet... have the good sense to make sure your house number is actually on your house, so that the courier knows which house is yours.

I had to have my boss try to contact a customer today, because I couldn't identify the house... and the customer told my boss that she couldn't really describe her house... and then I just described all the houses in that little area, and apparently all the folks in that small cluster are related.

There were more houses than there were mailboxes, and the mailboxes were located where their dirt road branched off of another dirt road. I was trying to deliver to one of the houses where the resident didn't have enough sense to put numbers on the house where a person could see them.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Monica is crying right now.

James Randi has passed away.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Scene at the Pearly Gates:

Randi: Oh ... hi. I guess ...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Sometimes GPS gets it right when it tells me to go down a dirt/gravel road as a shortcut. One that it had me go down was 8 miles long, but it saved a bunch of time the first time I used it. The fact that it's wider than some paved roads I've been on.

Of course... driving almost 80 miles an hour down that same gravel road might have helped...

(Lots of straight stretches and long sight lines to see around curves.)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:00 pm Sounds as if you have an infestation of Mus ornithoptris (the North American hovering mouse).
I decided to look that up, and found out that MUS is (in addition to the little rodents) the Memphis University School, a private high school.

And the MUS's teams are nicknamed the...

... owls.

THIS IS JUST WRONG!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Warrl wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:35 pm
Dave wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:00 pm Sounds as if you have an infestation of Mus ornithoptris (the North American hovering mouse).
I decided to look that up, and found out that MUS is (in addition to the little rodents) the Memphis University School, a private high school.

And the MUS's teams are nicknamed the...

... owls.

THIS IS JUST WRONG!
Not really. Humans have lots of teams named for lions, tigers, and bears. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Oh my...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

We have a problem in this county with trucks destroying covered bridges.

Inadequately trained drivers armed with GPS take shortcuts, and ignore or do not understand the maximum clearance signs.

It would be cheaper for the state and the townships to replace them with modern concrete bridges, but local people like them.
AnotherFairportfan

There's a bridge in Atlanta (over US 29, unfortunately) that is a pretty stone arch.

The original two lane street was widened to four at some time in the past.

Despite signs warning that the outer lanes have less clearance, there are quite a few scars on the stonework at the outside...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

We have a bridge here with a rectangular opening that's six feet high, and it's twelve feet wide but has a solid concrete wall in the middle dividing the two lanes. So it's basically a pair of six-by-six openings. People still keep trying to drive trucks and trailers through it, which doesn't even come close to working.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Buck is in mourning today.

RIP Sir Sean Connery.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Indeed, and a salute, sir, for your fine works!

Trivia fact - Ian Fleming was getting burned out by writing increasingly dramatic and complex spy novels, so his doctor recommended he take a break. He did, by changing genres. And that's why we have Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

I hadn't heard about Connery, so just went and read his obit. Pretty great. He credits reading for giving him the chops. And like Houdini and my mom's father, he died on Halloween. 8-)

Don't think I have ever yet seen a Bond movie all the way through. But Hunt for Red October is my second-favorite submarine movie, and casting him as Jones the elder was the best joke in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And then there's The Molly Maguires.

Believe I shall decant a beverage in his memory.
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:44 am Buck is in mourning today.

RIP Sir Sean Connery.
Ah, yes - the second James Bond.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Typeminer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:54 pm But Hunt for Red October is my second-favorite submarine movie, and casting him as Jones the elder was the best joke in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
That was done as a joke? (I was probably 3 or 4 when I first saw those movies.)

On an unrelated note, I ordered the last part for the rifle my brother and I have been secretly building for our dad.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yes, Rest Good Sir, your work here is done.

When we found out, we started recalling all the memorable films we remembered him for- Nobody mentioned Zardoz...

For those who haven't watch 007; get ahold of Dr. No, start at the beginning.
AnotherFairportfan

Did anybody mention "Darby O'Gill and the Little people"?

{That was before he had his monobrow defoliated, as i recall.}
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:19 pm Yes, Rest Good Sir, your work here is done.

When we found out, we started recalling all the memorable films we remembered him for- Nobody mentioned Zardoz...
One of the stranger movies he ever took part in.

Decades ago, a local theater in my area decided that it would be a good idea to run a post-apocalyptic two-fer one week... Zardoz, and Glen and Randa. I still think it's a wonder that none of the group of us who went to that double-bill showing, ended up slitting their wrists or throwing themselves into the Pacific Ocean to drown (the Hermosa Beach pier was only a short walk from the theater). That was the most depressing downer of a movie bill I can remember ever seeing.

But, take heart - no matter how painful and turbulent things are right now, they're nowhere near as bad as the futures portrayed in those movies.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »