More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

I found out why my mom got fired. Apparently, when she went on vacation in July, one of the guys made one of the women uncomfortable, and nobody told my mom about it, so because she didn't do anything about it, they fired her.

Also, I just lost my job, but I was already planning to leave anyway. The good news is, I still had 32 hours of vacation time I didn't know about, and they were already going to pay me for it. I also had gotten 19 hours for the pay period, so I should at least be set for the bills for this month. I also still have nearly $700 in my account, and I also still have to do my taxes. I had also made another $1000 payment on the car loan, pushing the due date for the next one out to the 25th of May.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alkarii wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:28 pm I found out why my mom got fired. Apparently, when she went on vacation in July, one of the guys made one of the women uncomfortable, and nobody told my mom about it, so because she didn't do anything about it, they fired her.
Sounds like she needs to contact her union.

We just had our lease terminated, so 1) I have to pay $4700 as a lump sum next month, in exchange for letting us stay until the end of the school year (May 29th), and 2) we have to start organizing to find another place for at least a year.

This has been quite a 12 month period, starting with my Father in law dying. (3 months to live, he died the Friday of that week. Good Friday my behind.)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's an interesting quote displayed by my wallpaper switcher. I had never heard of that, before.
Checkuary, N.: The Thirteenth Month Of The Year. Begins New Year's Day And Ends When A Person Stops Absentmindedly Writing The Old Year On His Checks.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I got ahold of a company that needs an apprentice electrician, and apparently all I had to do was send in my resume and phone number.

Hopefully I can get the job.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Best of luck!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hope it goes well!

And remember, your lockout is your best friend!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yup! I'm also going to make sure that any gloves or any tools that are meant to come into contact with live wires will not stay somewhere to get cold, so as to avoid having condensation building up inside the housing.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:55 pm Yup! I'm also going to make sure that any gloves or any tools that are meant to come into contact with live wires will not stay somewhere to get cold, so as to avoid having condensation building up inside the housing.
It's the subtle stuff like that which can make a life or death difference! Make haste slowly, for that very reason!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

So pretty soon we should be calling you ‘Sparky’, right? Bonne Chance!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, maybe not as soon as I'd hoped. I didn't get a call, so tomorrow I'm going to look up other places that are looking for apprentice electricians. Hell, I might even look at other trades, as well. If I don't get a call Monday, I'll just apply to one of the other places.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I have a good friend who is actually a Sparky. Ask me questions, I’ll pass them along.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, given that I haven't been contacted about the position that opened more than a month ago, I'm going to guess that either they've found someone with more experience and gave them the job, or they don't need it filled quite so badly.

So I'm just going to look into other apprentice positions, since there isn't any point just sitting around and waiting on a call I might never get.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I found out that someone in my graduating class died Thursday. I don't know what happened, though. Someone from my class shared a post to the class's Facebook page from one of his relatives, and in it they said they had learned from the Navy of his passing.

I'd known the guy since we were in 5th grade, and only actually spoke to him once in high school. His cousins and their parents used to go to the same church as my family. I'm not sure if I had heard before that he was in the Navy, though.

By strange coincidence, though, he's going to be laid to rest in the same cemetery as my grandfather.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I like the quote on Cisco's t-shirt, on the latest Flash episode on Netflix:
There are two types of people in the world:
1) those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I got a job interview on Monday, for a position as a forklift driver. Hopefully I get the job, but I'm not too sure about my chances, given that I haven't operated such a lift in about four and a half years.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:53 am I got a job interview on Monday, for a position as a forklift driver. Hopefully I get the job, but I'm not too sure about my chances, given that I haven't operated such a lift in about four and a half years.
Hopefully, it's just like riding a bicycle... you never forget.

Good luck!

We expect a full report upon your return from the interview.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I was nervous as hell. There were three people conducting the interview, and that was the first time I've ever had more than one interviewer. According to the sign in sheet, I was the third person that day from Staffmark, unless I didn't notice others on the previous page. They didn't say right away, as they had to make a decision on who to hire. However, until they tell me I got the job, I'm just gonna assume I don't.

If push comes to shove, though, I heard I can make a few thousand for serving as a test subject for a coronavirus vaccine.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

My my, Miss Julie, I didn't know you were into theater...

20200323_Rideau_Vert_Miss_Julie2.jpg
20200323_Rideau_Vert_Miss_Julie2.jpg (79.39 KiB) Viewed 12903 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I certainly recognize the poise & air of mystery...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I found another place hiring for apprentice electricians, this time in Little Rock instead of Conway. Just sent an application to them just a little while ago.

I dunno if that sort of job would be considered essential right now and therefore they'd be able to work with all the shutdowns, but they've had the job posted for more than a month. So hopefully I'll at leasy get an interview.