More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

I put down some of that DE. I have some laundry in a box from the previous time I cleaned my room, most of which are too small to fit me any more, but I saw a bunch of bed bugs crawling in it. Since I can't rewash everything right this second (before 4 AM), I decided to pull it away from everything else and dust around the box at the floor, so if they leave the box, they HAVE to go through that stuff, unless I take something out of the box.

I also put some all around the edge of my bed, under the pillowtop, though if we have anything flammable I can put on it, I'm gonna yank it all out and light it.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Has the DE been working for you at killing them?

I know the cockroach that I nailed yesterday was moving pretty slowly.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It might still be too early to tell, but at the same time I've been seeing more of them walking on any laundry dropped on the floor than I see on the bed itself.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Well, everything I've read says it takes up to four hours for the DE to actually kill the bugs; it's a physical effect, after all. Not a neurotoxin.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, but I still saw a few after that amount of time. What I don't know is if I'd picked up some while walking, or if I had accidentally made a point where they can cross, like a blanket or pillow touching the wall.

I'm still gonna keep working on the room and spraying, though.

Update: I finally burned the bed and set up the cot, with DE placed on all three supports, piled rather thickly. Not sure if I could have used less, but they're definitely going to get it on them.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:04 pmNot sure if I could have used less, but they're definitely going to get it on them.
It doesn't really take all that much. Just enough to get a decent coating on them as they crawl across it. It's more important that it be the right size particles and that it doesn't get too damp. So a moderate amount replaced fairly often, so that it is kept dry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I had a bit of an issue getting my Rosetta Stone course activated today. I bought it at the end of June of last year, and after talking with the guy on the phone, apparently the cashier at the store where I bought it didn't validate it, which required me to go to the store and get a duplicate receipt, take a picture, and emailing that to the customer service folks at RS.

German has weird capitalization rules.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:56 pm German has weird capitalization rules.
Try learning 10th Century German. Then there is no capitalisation to worry about!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Well, it's German. Wha'd you expect? :twisted:

English has weird rules, too. We just don't notice. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:19 am Well, it's German. Wha'd you expect? :twisted:

English has weird rules, too. We just don't notice. :mrgreen:
English is, at its core, a Germanic language, so it came by some of its weird rules by that path.

Others came from its large admixture of French (actually a whole complex cluster of Romance languages... Parisian or "standard" French is just the main survivor of that lineage), and words and conventions adapted from Spanish, borrowed from Portuguese, and plundered from the cultures of a hundred or more different colonized or conquered societies all across the globe.

English is The Borg. Resistance is futile. Your lingo will be assimilated, as it is crunchy and good with kecap (鮭汁).
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

"English is the result of Norse sailors trying to pick up Saxon barmaids.

"And it's just about as legitimate as the other results of that."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I have the Schnitzelbank song stuck in my head again... and apparently "Snicklefritz" isn't just some goofy thing Kitty called Eric in That 70's Show.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Hmmm, it seems to me that asking somebody for some "Snicklefritz" would be a good reason to get fired these days, or at least reprimanded. (And I say that without yet Googling the word...)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Does anyone know how to make a cat start using a litter box? I'm tired of my dad's cat refusing to use one if either of the other cats has used it, and pissing on my floor instead.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 pm Does anyone know how to make a cat start using a litter box? I'm tired of my dad's cat refusing to use one if either of the other cats has used it, and pissing on my floor instead.
I'm not sure that the concept of "making a cat do X" is even meaningful in this universe.

Cats are territorial, and don't necessarily share space with one another comfortably. You may need to provide your dad's cat with a separate litter-box that he/she can "own".
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'd probably just have to get a few of those robotic litter boxes that cost around $200 each. There's been occasions where she'd use one once or twice before going on the floor next to it, and we'd do what we could to keep the other two out of my parents' bedroom and bathroom.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

More fun with quotes:
There Are Two Kinds of People In The World: Those Who Think There Are Two Kinds of People In The World and Those Who Don’t -- Robert Benchley
Someone once said that there are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don’t.
“For my grandfather, there were two kinds of people in the world: Those who agreed with him, and those who hadn’t yet agreed with him.” – B. Spira
“There are two kinds of people in the world: the Givers and the Takers. The difference between the two is that the Takers eat well, and the Givers sleep well at night.” – Joy Mills
There are three kinds of people in the world: Those who know math and those who don’t.
“When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” – John M. Richardson, Jr
“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” – Walter Bagehot
“There are two kinds of statistics: the kind you look up, and the kind you make up.” – Rex Stout
There are two kinds of people, those who finish what they start and so on.
-- Robert Byrne
There are two kinds of people: happy and unhappy; both have no reason to be that way. -- Bill Purdin
There are two kinds of people: those who have lost data due to a system crash, and those who will. -- Mike Epstein
Today, there are three kinds of people: the have's, the have-not's, and the have-not-paid-for-what-they-have's. -- Earl Wilson
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate."

Or the container. Or the surface the container rests upon. Or the air around it all. Or the room the table is in. Or the building the room is in. Etc, etc.

When people tell me I'm part of the problem because I'm not part of THEIR solution, I ask them about the newborn baby somewhere in the Maldive Islands nursing at her mother's breast, and whether she's part of the problem, too.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.