More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Typeminer

Re: More Stuff

Post by Typeminer »

Just Old Al wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:17 am
jwhouk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 pm
I actually thought someone had put a shell on one of those Spyder trikes when I saw it, but this thing had four solid wheels.

The story is intriguing behind it, but I wonder if the guy asked too much for it, and just decided to keep it?
Strewth that is the ugliest thing I've seen with a license plate on it...awful design.
To me, it looks reasonably aerodynamic, but it's got less style than a Bricklin.

I mean, I don't much care about aesthetics in the sleds I drive. They just need to haul my ass around and run till their wheels fall off. But if you're gonna throw a megabuck at something that's basically useless--it should at least look good, yeah?
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

According to the portable blackboard outside of a café and drinking establishment along the bus route I work every day, it takes 139 glasses of wine to fill a bath tub...

I can't help but think that can't be right, as it seems to me a bath tub would take a lot more liquid than that. Unless you're talking about old-fashioned basins, or something... Then again, maybe they mean fill the bottom of a regular sized tub with the glasses standing up next to each other, or something... :?

Of course, one might synically ask if it would take the same amount of glasses, were said glasses filled with any other kind of liquid... :P

Also, still according to the same sign, a few days later, life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but life is about learning to dance in the rain.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'll follow this with an amusing quote displayed by my wallpaper changer:
“Anybody caught selling macrame in public should be dyed a natural color and hung out to dry.” - Calvin Trillin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Does anyone else still scroll down on the main page to look for the big button link to the forums? It would seem that I'm still not used to its absence, as I scroll down almost every time. (Granted, if I start typing the word "forum" in my address bar, it suggests the forum's URL anyway...)
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I just have a link to the forum in my bookmarks. And a link to the comic elsewhere in my bookmarks. And links to a few specific pages in another spot.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:31 am According to the portable blackboard outside of a café and drinking establishment along the bus route I work every day, it takes 139 glasses of wine to fill a bath tub...

I can't help but think that can't be right, as it seems to me a bath tub would take a lot more liquid than that. Unless you're talking about old-fashioned basins, or something... Then again, maybe they mean fill the bottom of a regular sized tub with the glasses standing up next to each other, or something... :?

Of course, one might synically ask if it would take the same amount of glasses, were said glasses filled with any other kind of liquid... :P

Also, still according to the same sign, a few days later, life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but life is about learning to dance in the rain.
Well, I am passing familiar with the volume of a wine bottle. *Cracks knuckles*

Assuming 4 glasses/bottle (the more generous standard; some sources say 5), that's 6.5 U.S. gallons or ~26 liters. Not enough to fill a demijohn, much less a bathtub.

And who fills the bathtub with wine anyhow? You want gin for that. :mrgreen:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:10 am Does anyone else still scroll down on the main page to look for the big button link to the forums? It would seem that I'm still not used to its absence, as I scroll down almost every time. (Granted, if I start typing the word "forum" in my address bar, it suggests the forum's URL anyway...)
it's been a very long time since I've looked for the Forum connection from the main page, but that's because I usually keep the 'Daily Comic' & the Forum open in individual tabs in my web browser.

Now that you've mentioned it, i went looking and notice a lack of Bud inviting me to the Forum...

PS- You either bathe in Milk or the Blood of Virgins. c'Mon guys, you know this stuff already...
Last edited by TazManiac on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:10 am Does anyone else still scroll down on the main page to look for the big button link to the forums? It would seem that I'm still not used to its absence, as I scroll down almost every time. (Granted, if I start typing the word "forum" in my address bar, it suggests the forum's URL anyway...)
I only just noticed it was missing today, and then came here and saw this post.

I have a separate link, too. The forum updates a lot more often than the comic, even slow as it's been lately.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

What I find odd, as well, is the fact that the "First" and "Last" navigational buttons no longer seem to have an image associated with them... The words "First" and "Last" still show up at the proper place, but there is no image (like the foot for "Comments" or the forward or backward facing monkeys for the "Next" or "Prev" buttons).
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:29 pm What I find odd, as well, is the fact that the "First" and "Last" navigational buttons no longer seem to have an image associated with them... The words "First" and "Last" still show up at the proper place, but there is no image (like the foot for "Comments" or the forward or backward facing monkeys for the "Next" or "Prev" buttons).
I have a hunch that Paul and Bookworm may have been working on changes to the main site, as Paul has been hoping to be able to find a way to have a "supporters" section of the site where he can post videos and other supporters-only material. He's apparently planning to shut down his presence on Patreon within the next little while.

So, the main site may be undergoing some "work in progress" turbulence.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The link is now up top in the toolbar just below the Wapsi Square header, just above the "First Comic" button.

HOME - ABOUT - SHOPPING - FORUM - ARCHIVE - ILLUSTRATIONS - COMMISSIONS - WAPSI GIRL
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I had neglected to mention I had been using the link at the top of the page for a while now...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Apologies. Actually, it's not I doing the work. The original designer of ComicPress has been helping Paul get a paywall section up and running.

I've been involved only peripherally.

Interestingly enough, I've had to disapprove several posts. You'd think that the idiotic Russians would figure out that advertising _in Russian_ on English forums doesn't work.

(or French, or German..)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm Interestingly enough, I've had to disapprove several posts. You'd think that the idiotic Russians would figure out that advertising _in Russian_ on English forums doesn't work.

(or French, or German..)
Those bot-generated spams have been arriving at the rate of about or two two per day for the past few weeks... I disapprove them and ban the user ID, and the spammers just register new IDs. Take a look at the logs... it's been a bit busy of late. Rather a target-rich environment :twisted:

My guess is that they really don't care if a forum's real users respond at all, or can even read the ads. What they're hoping for is for the posting to be visible for long enough that it ends up being indexed by Bing and Google and etc., and is thus visible in keyword searches. They shotgun their ads to as many unrelated sites as possible and then depend on search engines to make the ads visible to prospective customers. They're strictly parasites.

If there's any way you can get a Captcha system working again for the forum (without bricking new, legitimate user registrations) it might help.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'll try. The last one worked for a bit, then ate itself.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Notre Dame is burning:

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

This is a terrible tragedy. It sounds as if it could have been much worse... they got the people out and at least some of the cultural artifacts and artwork... but even so it's a horrible loss.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Well, they have so much information on it, at least it can be physically restored to an almost identical condition - and a whole lot faster than it was constructed initially.

I haven't read any of the news reports yet - I'll wait a bit and see if they come up with how it happened.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 pm Well, they have so much information on it, at least it can be physically restored to an almost identical condition - and a whole lot faster than it was constructed initially.

I haven't read any of the news reports yet - I'll wait a bit and see if they come up with how it happened.
There was restoration going on up around the inside of the roof - which was Very Old and Extremely Very Dry wood.

That seems to be favourite so far for the cause.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:44 am
Bookworm wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 pm Well, they have so much information on it, at least it can be physically restored to an almost identical condition - and a whole lot faster than it was constructed initially.

There was restoration going on up around the inside of the roof - which was Very Old and Extremely Very Dry wood.

That seems to be favourite so far for the cause.
Haven't seen anything to contradict that today. Get the impression that the biggest immediate problem is that it's now open to the sky. The roof was in good enough repair that everything was dead dry, and could be 800 years old. The spire was reconstructed in the 19th century.

If I've got this right, the firefighters are military, and hundreds were deployed. A few minor injuries, but no one lost. Seems they know what they're doing.