Now Jin's caught it...

Keep your eye on this spot for the latest info for original Wapsi Square art and other merchandise.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Now Jin's caught it...

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

...the Wapsiverse Pervasive Boob Expansion effect strikes again!

http://tinyurl.com/y23dbmdh
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Re: Now Jin's caught it...

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:04 am ...the Wapsiverse Pervasive Boob Expansion effect strikes again!
Maybe she's swelling with pride at being the best aunt?

Though now we have to wonder just who bought that outfit.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

She did, of course. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"Mama!, She got stung by a Bee!...."

PS- Paul: Variety is the spice of life, me boy'o.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 pm "Mama!, She got stung by a Bee!...."

PS- Paul: Variety is the spice of life, me boy'o.
I distinctly remember him saying at Windycon that he wishes he could afford to spend the time drawing big splash page eBay art of different body types (especially less busty gals, because that’s kind of the common denominator), but the problem is he basically gets no return on investment.

They don’t sell for shit, is what I’m sayin.

I will bet you a bagajizillionty dollars that if, saaaaaay, someone were to guarantee him a solid payoff to offset that risk for no reward problem, he’d be all too happy to oblige you.

While art is indeed art and is often beyond valuation, especially for folks whose lives have been changed by Paul’s comic...

(anywhere between “touched by the story” to “major formative experience making one the person they are today, and are extremely grateful for that influence and shudder to imagine the person they would have been had it not happened”)

... the man’s got bills to pay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:38 am I distinctly remember him saying at Windycon that he wishes he could afford to spend the time drawing big splash page eBay art of different body types (especially less busty gals, because that’s kind of the common denominator), but the problem is he basically gets no return on investment.

They don’t sell for shit, is what I’m sayin.

I will bet you a bagajizillionty dollars that if, saaaaaay, someone were to guarantee him a solid payoff to offset that risk for no reward problem, he’d be all too happy to oblige you.
Sure! Paul takes commissions. Ask him to do a pinup of (e.g. Tina or Jin or Kath) "as she's portrayed in the strip, without the big-bust upgrade" for his usual "buy it now" price, and you'd probably have it in your hands within a week or so.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

But, but, but- I'm saving up to buy a caAAar...*

(I swears I really am, not pinching off others for reasonable excuses),
still all said is very much for-real talk, I just got 'pinions about most everything.

Bottom line- Pablo de' Wapsi is a pretty decent artist, kudos, and I like how his style is growing the characters more 'solid', like they have thickness and depth.

(I picked up a free 2019 Norman Rockwell calendar two days ago and it reacted the Art Appreciation gene...)

*It's getting harder and harder to find a decent manual automobile these days...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

If you’re buying used, yeah... good luck. Manuals, outside of super-hardcore sportscars, are almost always base models. Your best bet is going around the local boneyards and finding a manual transmission there.

Taking it out yourself can lower the cost significantly.

Be prepared to get UTTERLY FILTHY.

Bring water (like, several gallon jugs) and food (six pb&j’s - you’re gonna be working hard) once you find a transmission, and use a tarp under the car to keep you and your tools out of the oil-soaked carbon-y rusty dirt.

You might be able to sell your automatic transmission to the same boneyard. Depending on how you roll your speechcraft check, you might even break even... or make a profit if you roll a natural 20.

Plus, you now know exactly how to take your own transmission out... which is god damned handy 100K miles down the road.

If you’re buying new or older model year from a dealership, you might be able to do what Julie did and get a non-base model, and have them swap the transmission for a manual from the base model. You might even be able to get them to do it for free, as the manual is from the base and can therefore arguably be cheaper, so you might be able to get them to pay for the labor with the difference in value between the manual and auto transmission.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

All good and valid points- I'm actually a VW Gear Head from back in the olden' Air Cooled days, but I gravitate toward stuff from the Rabbit Era (radiator w/ Front Wheel Drive, etc) now-a-days.

Audis make great donor material, as do many current era VW's (dropping a 2.0L modern block into a light-weight chassis that came w/ something like a small barrel carb'd 1.6L, well...)

This stuff deserves it's own thread, I'll see what I can do.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Technically, one might just be able to excuse this situation as being an unanticipated outcome of becoming human (-like) again... basically, it would be the opposite of Bud complaining about forever being a noodle-armed, racehorse-legged, straw broom-haired teenage girl... Jin, now being human-like again, started (continued?) developing as she would have, had she not become in a state of "arrested development"... :P
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:36 pm All good and valid points- I'm actually a VW Gear Head from back in the olden' Air Cooled days, but I gravitate toward stuff from the Rabbit Era (radiator w/ Front Wheel Drive, etc) now-a-days.
Back in - '74? - we were on our way to DC for the SF WorldCon in my friend's Westphalia VW camper conversion.

We were halfway there (literally - just about 300 miles up the road on a 600-mile trip}, and it was going to be my turn to drive next, so i was napping on the bed/couch in the back.

And then it dropped a valve - right through the piston and into the crankcase.

I didn't know what the hell had happened directly underneath me ... but i was in between the front seats going "wotthehell" before we had coasted to a stop.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

What the author of the original "Dummies’ Guide to VWs" referred to as "expensive noises". :cry:
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:10 am What the author of the original "Dummies’ Guide to VWs" referred to as "expensive noises". :cry:
About $500 in 1974 dollars. But he drove it for several more years.

Apparently, it was a known issue in that engine in the van - the oil cooler obstructed air flow to the front right {i think} cylinder and eventually, Bad Things Could Result.

The guy at the shop showed us the valve - apparently it had cracked right behind the head and had slowly been cracking a little more ... and a little more ...

"How to Keep Your VW Alive and Healthy" {or something like that}?

I loved that book. {Joe had a copy.}:
Automatic choke: I do not approve of automatic chokes, so I will not tell you how to repair or adjust it.

I will, however, tell you how to disable it and install a manual choke.
{Or words to that close effect.}
Dave

Post by Dave »

"How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot" by John Muir.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:12 am "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Complete Idiot" by John Muir.
Which is about the Air Cooled versions; there was a 'sequel' of sorts that came out that covered the Water-cooled rabbits, Sciroccos, & Jettas...

The later is out of print, not sure about the former.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:50 pm The later is out of print, not sure about the former.
The various bookseller-aggregator websites I looked at showed a handful of "new" copies of the 1974 edition (presumably New Old Stock) for upwards of $100; used copies for as little as $10. The later edition seems to command similar prices. My guess is that they're both out of print

There is, unfortunate, a big inventive for publishers to let books go out of print these days rather than keeping a back stock... inventory taxes. For a lot of books, used/remaindered copies, and (in lucky cases) print-on-demand services are all we have.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

You are correct Sir, but we're getting off topic...

"Tig ol' Bitties, for the Win!"

<whew>