a "Significant Other" list for the Wapsiverse?

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

stjen

a "Significant Other" list for the Wapsiverse?

Post by stjen »

It occurs to me that there's a lot of pairing off here in the Wapsiverse (prime). Has anyone collected a list of who's with whom these days, and is there any way to maintain it?

Or do we just post them someplace (like here?)

So the latest is Castela & Shawna

Kath & Bryn

Atsali & Nadette

Monica & Georgette

Bud & Kevin

Owen & Lakshmi

who am I forgetting? Is it worth formalizing some way some place?
TazManiac

Re: a "Significant Other" list for the Wapsiverse?

Post by TazManiac »

Well,

I'm pretty sure jwhouk has something like that already going, but it's a lot more rich and deep than just one-on-one pairings; he's got All the Interconnections...

Might be why it's near to breaking out into trans-dimensions to accommodate all the links...

(argh!, my connection is slow, hold on while I update this post...)

OK, fixed his name and added a link and a quote from the 11th page:

Re: The Wapsi Square Character and Storyline List
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=366

by jwhouk » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 am
jwhouk wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:51 pm We are UP TO DATE! A whopping 141 full pages (265 in e-Book format), with our two new characters (Barbara and Mindy) and all the storylines to now!

And, for the first time, we have a HEALTH WARNING in the storyline list!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I tried to do a relationship chart once upon a time.

I gave up, because the chart got WAY too complicated...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:26 am I tried to do a relationship chart once upon a time.

I gave up, because the chart got WAY too complicated...
Doing it two-dimensionally, on paper or as a wall chart, is probably a lost cause.

There might be a way to do it using some form of higher-dimensional drawing surface... e.g. with a Rubik's Cube, where one setting shows all of the current romantic relationships, and another brings the faces into positions where they represent sibling or parental relationships.

Or, maybe, one of these complicated (Japanese?) folding paper "fortune teller" orgami toys? or the moving bricks in the Diagon Alley doorway?

I have a feeling that to make the information useful to human perceptions, you need a presentation that "slides around" dynamically, rearranging itself fluidly around whichever character you are focusing on at the moment (sort of the way that the human visual system works, with the sharp fovea and the lower-resolution peripheral vision).

On the other hand, trying to accurately portray all of the complex relationships between Wapsi Square characters, in a single diagram in any dimensional space, might just rupture the space-time continuum and cause another Calendar-Machine-like reset.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That may very well be what Mayahuel was really trying to accomplish when she made the Calendar Machine.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
stjen

Post by stjen »

I don't think it has to be that complicated.

Yes, if you tried to draw out the entire family tree(s) with every familial relationship, that would be enormous.

I'm thinking more of just a chronological list. As of "strip date" Monica & Kevin are together
As of "strip date" Monica & Kevin broke up
As of strip date, Monica & Georgette are together
and so on. You just look at the bottom of the list to see who's with what, or search back to find all lines with a given character.