Out Of Sight 2012-12-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Out Of Sight 2012-12-13

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Re: Out Of Sight 2012-12-13

Post by Yamara »

So this is Halloween? Or is it Beltane already. How time flies.

T minus 8 days.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

But for Jane, not out of mind.

Suzi is feeling the walls closing in a bit, I think.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Hm. So, vampires are untouchables in undeath, because they were untouchables in life?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Creepy to the max, but intriguing.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

this is a very strange version of the vampire myth, totally unlike anything I have ever read (and i read lots). Basically what this is saying is that dying alone in a crowd causes the deceased to come back as a vampire, unlike dying alone in a wilderness which just causes one to be dead.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Considering that Paul has turned most of the accepted myths of our world on its ear in the Wapsiverse, this should not come as a surprise that he would make such a drastic change to the Vampire myths. It actuality fits what he has done so far to date, Remember what doubt was doing when Monica managed to toss her out and the GG's found her and Tina telling the effigy in her basement that she would not be forgotten.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

*bursts out singing* It's the most wonderful time of the year! :lol:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I make it point not to miss 'How the Grinch Fucked Up Christmas' for the scene where all the Whos in Whoville get together and hold hands to sing "Happy Fuckingest Time of the Whole Fucking Year".

(gonna have to write lyrics for that one ;) )
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Opus the Poet wrote:this is a very strange version of the vampire myth, totally unlike anything I have ever read (and i read lots). Basically what this is saying is that dying alone in a crowd causes the deceased to come back as a vampire, unlike dying alone in a wilderness which just causes one to be dead.
Sounds more like you have to die in a state where no one cares about you, even, or especially, you. You die but can’t pass on because you don’t care enough to do so and have nothing to assist you.

Might also be some of the oriental concept of the ‘hungry ghost’ here too.

Having said that, could Suzi be unique in her compassion for others who have the potential to become like herself?

I wonder if we are going to spend the next week learning about Pratt and find out?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Unreliable narrator, anyone? Yes, it seems to be different. But do we really know we can trust Suzi?

Oh, and what part does the blood play? W/o any blood, if that's true, a dead person still won't turn into a vamp. So... what happens to her? She can't pass on, as My2Cents thinks. Does she anyway w/o blood? Why?

Curiouser and curiouser.
waldosan

Post by waldosan »

^ the blood or the absence of it shouldn't really play the role, she was just hungry and she needed a few samples to figure out who the Jaine Doe is. i think the real vampire making part is the whole dying and being forgotten. we've played with bad MOJO before in this comic, remember the only thing that made the golem girls go berserk was that they were raped and tortured before being turned into golems, and indeed the only thing that allowed them to be contained was someone dying outside of that and being involved in the golem process.

I'm sure that jin's mom didn't go on a rampage that glassed half of the planet when she was first turned into a golem.

maybe it's just all the evil-ness of the act and THEN being forgotten that turns people into vampires, it would probably mean, as our vampire cop buddy has been alluding too, that both our vampire cop buddies were probably horribly murdered and then left to be forgotten long enough for them to wake up again as vampires.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Heh! Called it correctly for once, here and then a few posts further down in my response to Nimrod.

Definitely an interesting variation on the myth, and a rather sad one at that. In the Wapsiverse, Mina Harker would have been one of the least likely people to become a vampire... instead, the risk would be to the sort of people whom the author would never mention :(

The sadness continues even after death, it seems... the rejected-and-forgotten ones can become vampires, but even then the paranormal community considers them "bottom feeders" and "shitty mosquitos". No respect in life, no respect in death.

Definitely in line with the "morality play" aspects of Wapsi Square that somebody alluded to a few days ago. The message here seems to be, that we really must care about one another while alive, as those for whom we do not care may become deadly monsters. Not a bad moral at all!
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:The sadness continues even after death, it seems... the rejected-and-forgotten ones can become vampires, but even then the paranormal community considers them "bottom feeders" and "shitty mosquitos". No respect in life, no respect in death.
Good thing people at least remember Rodney Dangerfield or else we would have one annoying vampire to deal with.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

shadowinthelight wrote:Good thing people at least remember Rodney Dangerfield or else we would have one annoying vampire to deal with.
OI!, it's a good thing i RESPECT his comedic abilities then huh?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Haylo

Post by Haylo »

I'm getting the idea this is a two-part process -- blood either symbolically or physically links you to physical life; caring about / being cared about links you to supernatural life; so if you still have blood but nobody that cares about you, you get stuck in the physical world when you should move on.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Fairportfan wrote:Our Vampires Are Different, huh?
Two-point penalty for linking to TV Tropes.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:Heh! Called it correctly for once, here and then a few posts further down in my response to Nimrod.

Definitely an interesting variation on the myth, and a rather sad one at that. In the Wapsiverse, Mina Harker would have been one of the least likely people to become a vampire... instead, the risk would be to the sort of people whom the author would never mention :(

The sadness continues even after death, it seems... the rejected-and-forgotten ones can become vampires, but even then the paranormal community considers them "bottom feeders" and "shitty mosquitos". No respect in life, no respect in death.

Definitely in line with the "morality play" aspects of Wapsi Square that somebody alluded to a few days ago. The message here seems to be, that we really must care about one another while alive, as those for whom we do not care may become deadly monsters. Not a bad moral at all!
And I'm so very glad you called it correctly! :) I liked your theory best out of all the theories being tossed around. You're right though...it's incredibly sad that they are forgotten/unloved in life only to become the lowest rung on the supernatural ladder in "death". I'd ask for a refund on my life if I were in Suzie's shoes. It's no wonder she's so bitter about everything (and that she was so interested in making a connection to someone outside of her tier when she saw Monica).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Yamara wrote:So this is Halloween? Or is it Beltane already. How time flies.

T minus 8 days.
Yule's coming up, just 8 days away.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

That's why the Invisible Man went crazy.

*klink-klink, ka-splat*