Technical Difficulties 2019-01-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Technical Difficulties 2019-01-07

Post by Opus the Poet »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/technical-dificulties/

Another example of why Bud is my favorite character for a pinup.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Re: Technical Difficulties 2019-01-07

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Very True. However....when she is wearing blue jeans, and T-shirt I would call her Bud. Dressed as she is now or in some evening dress I think she deserves to be referred to as ACACIA.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I suppose Technical Difficulties is better than the dread Texicult Diffinulties . . .

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 pm Image
"I will not buy this phonograph record. It is scrrrratched."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

:mrgreen:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So that's what all that meant. Not many would see that too often these days. In just a few years time, this knowledge will be considered arcane.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

They were called Test Patterns for a reason, eh?

From long, long ago (I was like 4 maybe) my Grandfather had me out and about on the town doing errands, and I was entranced by the TV in the store window. Wow! Moving pictures in a Box! What magic is this??

Anyway, we went in, and there were a bunch on display. Probably Philco, RCA, and whoever else made console TV things. Fancy stuff! Had record players in them as well! But the part that really stood out was when the sales man hit a switch and all 4 (5 maybe) went to the same Test Pattern! Then Mr Sales Guy could talk about the fine resolution and blah blah about this model vs that model.

I now know what I was seeing were Morie Patterns in the closely spaced parts of the image. It was almost like color, but Black and White!

This was back in the late 50s, salesmen dressed the part and store service was SERVICE. Consider that each TV out the door was somebody's months pay coming in the door! Sell one a week and you're rolling! Sell two, and you're off to visit the Buick dealer...

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 am So that's what all that meant. Not many would see that too often these days. In just a few years time, this knowledge will be considered arcane.
And a generation after that, the true meaning will have been entirely forgotten. The image will be interpreted as a religious icon belonging to an obscure sect.

A couple of generations after that, it will be interpreted as a ritual spell drawing, used to summon demons from the misty void. Preachers throughout the world will rail against it during their sermons, and declare it anathema.

We probably can't expect any government to invoke the death penalty against those who possess or attempt to sell this image, until at least a century from now... if we're lucky.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:07 pm
Alkarii wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 am So that's what all that meant. Not many would see that too often these days. In just a few years time, this knowledge will be considered arcane.
And a generation after that, the true meaning will have been entirely forgotten. The image will be interpreted as a religious icon belonging to an obscure sect.

A couple of generations after that, it will be interpreted as a ritual spell drawing, used to summon demons from the misty void. Preachers throughout the world will rail against it during their sermons, and declare it anathema.

We probably can't expect any government to invoke the death penalty against those who possess or attempt to sell this image, until at least a century from now... if we're lucky.
Even simpler. All mention of it will be banned because of the derogatory depiction of a Indigenous American. (Funny, most of the ones I know call themselves American Indian, or Native American. It's only white folk that insist on 'Indigenous')
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I’ve never heard anyone insist upon Indigenous American. I’ve only been told to use Native American, and to avoid “Indian.”
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

The ones I know either call themselves indians, or by their specific tribal or regional name. For instance, the Tulalips, Stilliguamish and Clallam are all Southern Coast Salish.

--FreeFlier
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

GlytchMeister wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:31 pm I’ve never heard anyone insist upon Indigenous American. I’ve only been told to use Native American, and to avoid “Indian.”
It's a bureaucratic/politically correct thing. Kind of like the people down here that demanded that Regan high school change its name, because Regan was Postmaster in the Confederate government, and that condoned slavery by the school district.

Most of the folks I know use their tribal name only for clarification. "Oklahoma Indian" is understandable to pretty much anyone. "Ponca" means nothing to most people. (Let alone Micmac or Tonkawa) It's only the really large tribes that are instantly recognizable, and often only by names that aren't really accurate.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

True . . . I suspect most of my conversations on this subject were atypical because the other party knew about how much I knew, so they used the tribal names unless I looked lost.

--FReeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Out here by the San Francisco Bay we still have the remnants of Shell Mounds; left behind by Indigenous Peoples who harvested the shellfish, way back when.

There is even a local college called Ohlone ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohlone ), named after those who came before
(I regret to realize I have absolutely no idea how many, if any, remain to this day...) <-- gonna work on that.

It seems like, esp in the wake of the Team Mascot controversies (ie Stanford-Uni changed 'Stanford Indians' to 'Stanford Cardinal' for example) it seems that it's like the 'N' word"

"We can call ourselves Indians, but don't You do it!".
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

TazManiac wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:07 pm. . . "We can call ourselves Indians, but don't You do it!".
There's a certain amount of that to it, yes.

And some people are the kind that makes it worse.

Mostly I asked, and was told to say indian. However, I suspect that my asking was part of it.

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

As a friend of mine said when someone mentioned "Indian," she asked, "Dot or Feather?"

She's Eastern Shawnee.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 am As a friend of mine said when someone mentioned "Indian," she asked, "Dot or Feather?"
That's a brilliant question! Thinking about it, I now understand why so very many people from India have come to the United States, to become leading workers in the fields of mathematics and software.

They're all dot products, and they're right at home in the Matrix.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am
Atomic wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 am As a friend of mine said when someone mentioned "Indian," she asked, "Dot or Feather?"
That's a brilliant question! Thinking about it, I now understand why so very many people from India have come to the United States, to become leading workers in the fields of mathematics and software.

They're all dot products, and they're right at home in the Matrix.
Here ya go:

hssss
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.