That Time Again 2018-10-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
JSStryker

That Time Again 2018-10-08

Post by JSStryker »

Vive la weird!
Dave

Re: That Time Again 2018-10-08

Post by Dave »

Don't the stores start pushing pumpkin spice as soon as they've taken the unsold Easter confections off of the shelves?
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Dave wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:41 am Don't the stores start pushing pumpkin spice as soon as they've taken the unsold Easter confections off of the shelves?
Unfortunately yes, hate that crap.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:41 am Don't the stores start pushing pumpkin spice as soon as they've taken the unsold Easter confections off of the shelves?
Not around here, the Easter candy has to go back in the freezer pretty quickly or it melts. And because eating pumpkins don't do well locally pumpkin pies are mostly made by people "not from here" like my family. The local Xmas and Thanksgiving pie is pecan which isn't highly spiced. Pecans and a half-ton of sugar don't leave much room for spices.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Meanwhile, I was at a local dollar store, last week, and one aisle was 3/4 Halloween stuff, 1/4 Christmas stuff... :roll:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think Bud has been hanging around Jaqui too long.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
donoho

Post by donoho »

She had me at Eggnog.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Interesting change in character portrayal for Brandi... I imagine that doing darker skin tones consistently is a lot easier in a purely digital workflow.

I think this happened literally overnight... I could swear that Brandi was portrayed with lighter skin (as in all of the archive) when I saw the strip last night. Paul must have changed the image this morning.

Either that, or the UV levels outdoors at Lake Calhoon (wherever that is... somewhere near Lake Calhoun?) must be really fierce, to give an invulnerable golem's skin such a nice tan overnight. ;)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:27 am
Not around here, the Easter candy has to go back in the freezer pretty quickly or it melts. And because eating pumpkins don't do well locally pumpkin pies are mostly made by people "not from here" like my family. The local Xmas and Thanksgiving pie is pecan which isn't highly spiced. Pecans and a half-ton of sugar don't leave much room for spices.
East Texas?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Back in the Sixties, TW3 did a segment where they silently flashed articles from various merchandising and retail trade publications about Easter cards and Easter tchotchkes, finishing w2ith one that said "Looks Like Biggest Buying Easter Yet".

And then they cut to Nancy Ames, the "TW3 Girl", who sang the theme each week … and she sang, with absolutely no expression, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A little mistake in the description. That's not Lake Calhoun. That's Lake Bde Maka Ska.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

oldmanmickey wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:47 am
Unfortunately yes, hate that crap.
Hey, how else are you going to have enough shelf space for Halloween, Thanksgiving AND Christmas?

There used to be an unspoken agreement among store owners to not put Christmas stuff out until november... not so much anymore.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:27 pm Bde Maka Ska.
That's akin to barfing alphabet soup. Lake Calhoun will do for me, thank you...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:19 pm
Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:27 am
East Texas?
Close enough, DFW area.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I wonder, though, if this isn't all a historical misunderstanding.

It's not about Halloween. Or coffee, or eggnog, "pumpkin spice" or otherwise. It's not about Christmas... it's much older than that holiday, and quite pagan.

You could say it's about Octoberfest, and ale.

In fact it dates back to the pre-Celtic Beaker people... the first European culture to discover how to brew alcohol from grain. They spread this knowledge wherever they went. Centuries later, brewers discovered how to preserve and flavor their ales and stouts with various herbs... rue, and oregano, and tansy, and sage (hops wasn't used as a bittering agent until much later in history).

So, what we're really celebrating is the work of those early pioneers, by imbibing the first brew made from the summer harvest of barley and wheat. Those of us who remember, insist on having a glass or two made according to one of the original recipes.

It's the most wonderful thyme of the beer!

(Dave offers the Pun Jar a six-pack of Solarc Dunes)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I like Brandi's hair.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:17 am I like Brandi's hair.
Actually, her hair is why I didn't recognize her, at first... That, and her shorter, rounder nose... (compare with this comic).
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am
Actually, her hair is why I didn't recognize her, at first... That, and her shorter, rounder nose... (compare with this comic).
I agree with your points, BUT-

Contrast Bud on that same page you post... AND

(I hate to say it like this is going to sound) It really couldn't be anybody else but Brandi. right?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:49 pm
lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am
I agree with your points, BUT-

Contrast Bud on that same page you post... AND

(I hate to say it like this is going to sound) It really couldn't be anybody else but Brandi. right?
Honestly, I hadn't thought anything about it. It really could have been anyone, though not very likely, I guess...

Admittedly, the last time I looked at yesterday's comic, Brandi's skin was not shaded... With just that added element, I would have finally recognized her...