Local Beer Gardens and Micro-Brews in General

Talk about your favorite liquor, ask questions, and share stories all about booze!

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Local Beer Gardens and Micro-Brews in General

Post by TazManiac »

I started noting there was a better brew to be had about the time (in the 80's) when Killian's Red started hitting the shelves.
" George Killian's Irish Red: Premium Lager is a 5.4% abv amber lager brewed by Coors. The brand name was purchased only for sale in the North-American market by Coors from the Pelforth Brewery (Heineken France), who had previously bought it from Lett's Brewery in Ireland, which had closed in 1956..."

it was later that I came across Anchor Steam, a beer with much history and certainly no earthly connection to that stuff only worth cooling yourself off with, on the front porch, after cutting the lawn; Budweiser, Coors, and the like.

Anchor Steam was a revelation; it was Local and had History. I mean History, and out here with the West the way things are, going back to, (and past) the historic 1906 Earthquake makes you bit of the Living Granite of the Earth's very Mantle.

As with both Killian's and Anchor Steam, things often succumb to success and they don't seem to be made, and don't seem to taste, the same any more.

Still, I have often raved over the Rip Tide Red (but only from the keg tap) brewed by the Beach Chalet (walk out the door, cross Highway 1 and you can swim to Asia...), and there seems to be some thing I found at a local supermarket chain called Double Shock Double Hop Shark Bite... wait. Shark Attack Double Red Ale, heh heh, funny what the tricks yer memory can play. That too, that stuff is pretty good and worth drinking.

Come the turn of the last Century and a lot of folks started these things called Micro-Brews and opening up tap rooms.

Here we are in the 21st Century and while 'the City' is assailed by Gentrification forces based on Silicon Valley payrolls and economic forces, the surrounding areas that make up the San Francisco Bay Area metroplex have also been shouldering their own push ad pull as 'the more things stay the same, the more they change...".

Thus fun stuff has begun to happen in Oakland. Oakland of the Dead Zone that is Downtown, Oakland where folks stage gunfights in the streets and nobody would want to be caught live in, after dark, not Oakland...

Well, just today I came across this entry in terms of keeping up to date with stuff as it happens:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article ... 264628.php

Here's a somewhat related tie in (I searched fast and loose, I'm sure there is a better link...)
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/schnitzelbank/

(Oh look, it's almost 11pm, time to sign off...)
Typeminer

Re: Local Beer Gardens and Micro-Brews in General

Post by Typeminer »

Ah, Saint Fritz Maytag! He (and others) pulled our asses out of the dumpster fire that was the brewing industry of the late 80s, and led us to a new golden age. 8-)

Today, within walking distance of my front door, there are four microbrewery taprooms, four Irish-style pubs, and an English-style pub that always has Fuller's London Pride ESB on tap. (The English are good for ale, if nothing else. :mrgreen: )
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I recall Anchor Steam from early 80's- after I got out of college skool and had a paying job, I could afford those luxuries after having existed on Old Milwaukee by the case (bottles) for $5 (tax included).
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

There's another beer song, but the video is absolutely the most classless thing I've ever clapped eyes on.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Hansontoons wrote:I recall Anchor Steam from early 80's- after I got out of college skool and had a paying job, I could afford those luxuries after having existed on Old Milwaukee by the case (bottles) for $5 (tax included).
12 or 16 oz. bottles? I was fond of Old Mil, myself. Still think it was one of the best in its category. Stroh made some fine beer. But oh gods, when we discovered beers like Anchor Steam and Anchor Liberty Ale!

In the late 70s, we drank a lot of Valley Forge on layout nights at the local alternative newspaper. Fifty cents a quart. Cheaper by the case. My gateway to the publishing gulag. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I'm awful regarding beer. I tend to cook with it, as most beer doesn't agree with me.

Been trying various beers since legal age, and managed to find one seasonal I like enough to actually buy for casual consumption.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(I'm partial to Red Ales myself, but too often they are just colored red...)
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:(I'm partial to Red Ales myself, but too often they are just colored red...)
It's shameful, but what can you expect... the price of fresh bull's blood being what it is these days... if you want the real stuff you'll have to hunt around to find a genuine Maasai brewpub.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:(I'm partial to Red Ales myself, but too often they are just colored red...)
Leinenkugel has a nice seasonal I snag on rare occasions. The rest gets used for cooking unless certain company is visiting because food allergies suck.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote:
Leinenkugel has a nice seasonal I snag on rare occasions. The rest gets used for cooking unless certain company is visiting because food allergies suck.
SO drinking barley based beverages goes against the grain?
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Typeminer wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:I recall Anchor Steam from early 80's- after I got out of college skool and had a paying job, I could afford those luxuries after having existed on Old Milwaukee by the case (bottles) for $5 (tax included).
12 or 16 oz. bottles? I was fond of Old Mil, myself. Still think it was one of the best in its category. Stroh made some fine beer. But oh gods, when we discovered beers like Anchor Steam and Anchor Liberty Ale!

In the late 70s, we drank a lot of Valley Forge on layout nights at the local alternative newspaper. Fifty cents a quart. Cheaper by the case. My gateway to the publishing gulag. :mrgreen:
Anchor Steam was in 12's. 16's would have been nice, might have been a bit much for the pack mules they used to bring provisions to College Station TX around that time. Old Mule was 12 oz. bottles. Made quite a racket when dumping the empty's into the trash bin.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
SO drinking barley based beverages goes against the grain?
I have enough friends allergic to certain grains that I can justify seeking out more potent spirits to keep around.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:I have enough friends allergic to certain grains that I can justify seeking out more potent spirits to keep around.
Unless they're vegan, you might offer them some kumis. There may be some grains involved in its production, but as you'll have run the grains through the horse first the allergens would probably be gone. :mrgreen:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Following up Atsali working in a Beer Garten, I was watching the local PBS channel and they have a show called 'Check Please!', Bay Area. As I type, they just finished up a place in San Francisco;

Leopold's Gasthaust

Here in the Gallery you can see some of the gals in 'uniform'...
http://www.leopoldssf.com/gallery.html

btw, despite my not yet having been there myself, I'm given to understand they will serve you beer in a One or Two Liter Glass Boot, should you so desire... http://www.leopoldssf.com/uploads/7/1/8 ... 205654.jpg

Check it out; one last thing: the Menu part of the web site lists Four differing Menus. Dinner (natch), Brunch, Wine (common), & a fourth menu exclusively devoted to BEER.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:Following up Atsali working in a Beer Garten, I was watching the local PBS channel and they have a show called 'Check Please!', Bay Area. As I type, they just finished up a place in San Francisco;

Leopold's Gasthaust

Here in the Gallery you can see some of the gals in 'uniform'...
http://www.leopoldssf.com/gallery.html

btw, despite my not yet having been there myself, I'm given to understand they will serve you beer in a One or Two Liter Glass Boot, should you so desire... http://www.leopoldssf.com/uploads/7/1/8 ... 205654.jpg

Check it out; one last thing: the Menu part of the web site lists Four differing Menus. Dinner (natch), Brunch, Wine (common), & a fourth menu exclusively devoted to BEER.
Texas Roadhouse used to sell you a drink in a keepsake boot mug. They apparently do not do this in Texas locations, but I still have some left from the ones back home. Use it as a coffee mug.

--Safyr Drathmir
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I don't think Texas ever really suffered from a lack of third party options in beer. Yes, we didn't have a bazillion microbrews like they have now (St. Arnolds, Karbach, etc, etc), but I can't remember when Shiner, Texas, wasn't producing Shiner Bock.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 pm All together now!
I'm sorry to say I just now got around to clicking on that link...

Wunnnerful Stuff! Tank Yu Dinky!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:53 pm
DinkyInky wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 pm All together now!
I'm sorry to say I just now got around to clicking on that link...

Wunnnerful Stuff! Tank Yu Dinky!
Here's the better version.

Related -

And let's not forget this -
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Oh - BTW - I improved the media linking :)