Schtupid Email Scams

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by jwhouk »

The only thing that frustrates me is that Cox not only doesn't allow the use of NoMoRoBo (using "Simultaneous Ring") to block robocalls, but they limit you to only 31 phone numbers that you can block at one time.

The most frustrating thing about that is that you basically have to remember which numbers are on your list, and then go through this whole touch-tone madness to remove and add numbers. That was the only thing I liked about Spectrum: they let you do that stuff online, at least.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

TazManiac wrote: Fairport - One thing too is that the compromised account might actually be a second person, whose email address book has been cloned, and is now coming in as a Third Person of record altogether. (In other words, its sometimes not the name on the letterhead who got hacked, sometimes they where just a handy name in the hacked computers' address book...)
During the height of the "I love you" virus that spread through emailed Word documents, I received an email from a close friend that said "Here are some hot pics of Anna Kournikova!" and that raised an IMMEDIATE red flag for me. I know the guy, and he HATES Kournikova with the fury of the sun. Why would he send me anything like that? So I deleted the email and sure enough, five minutes later he sends me an ICQ message begging me NOT to open that email since someone at work got their network infected and ALL their address books were used to bombard further potential targets. Way ahead of you there, buddy :D
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Hey, I got great news!:
Hello,
Congratulation, you are legally contacted from the office of the presidency regarding the release of your long awaited fund of $10.5M. After a detailed review of your file, i wish to inform you that your SWIFT CREDIT CARD payment is being processed and will be released to you as soon as you respond to this Office.Please re-confirm to us the following,
Name,Address,Phone,Profession,Age and Marital status:
Thanks for Your Cooperation.
John Onu
Tel:234-xxx-xxx-1531
my privet email address: johno xxxx gmail.com
Note that the 'Reply To' for this in one place is an AOL address and in the text it's saying GMail.

Also, even though the numbers have been munged, check out the telephone number, the total number of digits...

What ever you do, be sure to keep this one privet.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:What ever you do, be sure to keep this one privet.
Castela got a scam email, exactly like that.

She did keep it privet. She just shrubbed her shoulders.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:
TazManiac wrote:What ever you do, be sure to keep this one privet.
Castela got a scam email, exactly like that.

She did keep it privet. She just shrubbed her shoulders.
Of course she did tell Atsali about it. She was hedging her bets.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Just got one yesterday I've been running down. It was from a known e-mail address friend, proper name and all, and the subject line was

Fw (2):

with a text link simply saying "Surprise!" There were other people in the TO: section I didn't know.

I promptly noticed that the friend's name was not linked to the proper e-mail, but a .HU address. NOTE: My e-mail displays both the friend name and e-mail address in the From line. Check to see yours does something similar.

Since my friend was not Hungarian, I took steps to check the source code and what was linked to the Surprise thing. Turned out to be a legitimate sales site for specialty beef products (a family business I think), but trailing the URL was a gibberish subdirectory and then /FriendName. The business site URL (blahblah.net) resolved nicely and was WHOIS valid. Then I tried the sub, and got forwarded to an advert site at a different URL selling lots of BUy NO!W garbage. It looks like the beef site got hacked and somebody is infesting a subdir with hostile links to hide behind a valid URL.

I e-mailed them the e-mail source code and wished them luck.

Beware and be wary!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Good inspecting there, Inspector!
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've been getting a whole slew of spams from Chinese "photo editing for hire" outfits, sent through a series of what look like compromised hosts, with multiple reply drop-boxes at various Chinese ISPs. Difficult to block or filter out, due to the changing sets of addresses being used.

They keep asking for a sample photo, with which to demonstrate their photo-editing skills.

Just before blocking the addresses of the latest one, I send them a sample to look at.

It's here. Don't open it if you're prone to photo-induced seizures of any sort.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I think I've figured out how to at least reduce the number of scam calls heading my way.

I answer the phone "Duey, Cheatum, and Howe. Where may I direct your call?" You'd be surprised how fast they hang up...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:I think I've figured out how to at least reduce the number of scam calls heading my way.

I answer the phone "Duey, Cheatum, and Howe. Where may I direct your call?" You'd be surprised how fast they hang up...
“Job’s done, boss. Where ya want me ta put tha body? Pig farm, like usual?”
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

OK, here's a good one... (Just think, the UN is interested in MY specific welfare!)
title: ARE YOU DEAD OR ALIVE?

"United Nations" <no-reply@un.org>
To:
undisclosed-recipients

Dear Beneficiary,

One Mrs. Andalina Cooks came to the office claiming you
instructed her to come and receive the payment on your
behalf with some representatives. She stated you died some
time ago I have asked them to come back TUESDAY as they did
not provide any power of an attorney from you which will
proof that you truly sent them.This was to enable me contact
you to verify how genuine this people are to you.The
question is below

1. Did you instruct one Mrs. Andalina Cooks to claim and
receive the payment on your payment?
2. Did you sign any 'Deed of agreement' in her favor ??

3 Agricultural Development Bank Ghana has been solely
empowered and authorized to offset all outstanding payment
exclusively for and on behalf of the Nigerian
Government Note that any correspondence or transaction
carried out with any other person(s)/institution except
Agricultural Development Bank Ghana is done at your own
risk and thus, we stand no chance to accept or condone any
complain of misfortune that might arise or cause you in such
contact.

Finally, you are hereby advised to indicate to this
honorable office with immediate effect, if you are the
person that instructed Mrs. Andalina Cooks to come for the claim.

For:UNITED NATIONS AGENCY
Christine Evans-Klock
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

The "no reply" email address... Did you put that in there, or did it actually appear like that?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Copy & paste; I didn't include all the header info, but I didn't alter this one any either...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, at least it makes for an amusing read... :D
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Nobody's mentioned the most recent ones. The "Confirm your unsubscribe" emails, where the click link is a mailto: in order to confirm your email address.

There's also the old standbys. "I'm a hot mail-order <insert country here> that wants to get to know your <insert body part>, please write me back."
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was asked, recently, whether I was interested in a business proposal worth something like $56,500,000 or some such...

There was another one, in the same batch of spam to delete, but the payout wasn't quite as much...

And, of course, I had another automated phone call recently about the software "they installed on my computer a year ago", which was now sending red flags and please call back... :roll:

Do people really not realize that they did not have someone install any software on their computer, a year ago???
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'm in IT as a computer consultant. I can guarantee you that most people haven't a clue as to what was or wasn't installed on their machines a year ago. The older they are, the less they are aware of what and when something was installed.

Even _I_ don't remember when I installed stuff, and have to double check it.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I was just honored, this week, to get calls from both Microsoft and Apple, warning me about problems they'd detected with their software running on my computer.

I didn't have the heart to phone them back and tell them that I run only Linux and Android. 8-)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Gotta love those "Enlarge your (body part) AND shrink your (financial obligation) at the Same Time!" messages.

"Shimmer! It's a floor wax, AND a dessert topping!"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 am I'm in IT as a computer consultant. I can guarantee you that most people haven't a clue as to what was or wasn't installed on their machines a year ago. The older they are, the less they are aware of what and when something was installed.

Even _I_ don't remember when I installed stuff, and have to double check it.
I may not remember when I installed a particular piece of software on my computer, but I would remember taking it to someone to install something, or have someone do it remotely... That's what I don't get... :?