Mid-week Break 2018-08-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Mid-week Break 2018-08-02

Post by Opus the Poet »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/mid-week-break-4/

It appears that Ruri is not as fragile in her humaniform state as she was as a teapot
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Just Old Al

Re: Mid-week Break 2018-08-02

Post by Just Old Al »

Opus the Poet wrote:
It appears that Ruri is not as fragile in her humaniform state as she was as a teapot
One might agree.

Got to say I love the composition of this one. I can picture that as an ad for a skate park pasted to the side of a vending kiosk or the like.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Opus the Poet wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/mid-week-break-4/

Or else she just likes to live dangerously.

Or maybe she was just a sturdy tea-pot.

(Japan, 119 years ago): "Hey, it's almost the 20th Century! In commemoration of the occasion, let's see if we can carve a tea-pot out of a solid chunk of steel!"
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Catawampus wrote: (Japan, 119 years ago): "Hey, it's almost the 20th Century! In commemoration of the occasion, let's see if we can carve a tea-pot out of a solid chunk of steel!"
Cast-iron teapots are a thing...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Just Old Al wrote:
Catawampus wrote: (Japan, 119 years ago): "Hey, it's almost the 20th Century! In commemoration of the occasion, let's see if we can carve a tea-pot out of a solid chunk of steel!"
Indeed:
ImageImageImage

--FreeFlier
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Just Old Al wrote:
Yep, I have. . .at least one.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I prefer impervious china pots . . . otherwise you need a different pot for each flavor of tea you drink, because the flavor soaks into the pores.

--FreeFlier
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

I saw this and IMMEDIATLEY thought of this song
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

FreeFlier wrote:I prefer impervious china pots . . . otherwise you need a different pot for each flavor of tea you drink, because the flavor soaks into the pores.

--FreeFlier

Interesting. I'm assuming most folks don't put the tea actually IN the teapot but use it for heating water.

The actual brewing happens elsewhere...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

TazManiac wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:I prefer impervious china pots . . . otherwise you need a different pot for each flavor of tea you drink, because the flavor soaks into the pores.
Interesting. I'm assuming most folks don't put the tea actually IN the teapot but use it for heating water.

The actual brewing happens elsewhere...
There are different schools of thought on that . . . some heat the water in a pot, then brew in the preheated cup, some heat the water in one pot, use part of that water to preheat another pot, and then discard the preheat water and brew in the second pot . . . some will strain the brewed tea into a third preheated pot*, others will strain into the individual cups.

*This has the advantage that each cup from that brewing is the same.

If you can think of a variation, there's probably someone brewing that way.

These is a traditional chinese brewing method that uses a Yixing clay pot for brewing, which allows the tea to permeate the pot and results in a slow evolution of complex flavor over the years or decades that the pot is in use. Obviously, the same tea should be used throughout the pot's life.

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Some ceramics have a crazed (cracked glaze) surface, and these will absorb flavors into the cracks. Some others have a clear glaze over the crazing to show it off while keeping the surface solid. YMMV
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

That too.

As I said, if you can think of a way, there's probably a school brewing that way.

And anything from a thirty-second steeping to boiling the leaves for fifteen minutes or more . . . and that's ignoring cold-brew and sun tea.

--FreeFlier
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

And now we can have a pot deciding on her own preferred techniques.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Catawampus wrote:And now we can have a pot deciding on her own preferred techniques.
And if anyone gets rambunctious we can shoot them with a kettlemine dart gun...just to keep things from boiling over, is all.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

These is a traditional chinese brewing method that uses a Yixing clay pot for brewing, which allows the tea to permeate the pot and results in a slow evolution of complex flavor over the years or decades that the pot is in use. Obviously, the same tea should be used throughout the pot's life.
That would make particular sense in combination with pu'erh teas, which typically are also aged for years. (The stuff I get is generally 7-10 years old.)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:
That would make particular sense in combination with pu'erh teas, which typically are also aged for years. (The stuff I get is generally 7-10 years old.)
AFAIK, they are traditionally used to brew pu-erh.

Someone that used to work at my favorite tea shop once put together a consortium to buy a pot's worth of 100-year-old pu-erh . . . he said it was worth doing . . . once.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Someone that used to work at my favorite tea shop once put together a consortium to buy a pot's worth of 100-year-old pu-erh . . . he said it was worth doing . . . once.
Everything Tea in Snohomish? About five years ago I heard a similar story from one of the ladies there.

(Sadly, last time I went there - a couple years ago now, I think - they had moved up the street to a much-smaller store, and stopped carrying pu'erh. I think the shop had also changed hands but I wouldn't swear to it.)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:
Everything Tea in Snohomish? About five years ago I heard a similar story from one of the ladies there.

(Sadly, last time I went there - a couple years ago now, I think - they had moved up the street to a much-smaller store, and stopped carrying pu'erh. I think the shop had also changed hands but I wouldn't swear to it.)
Yes.

Trish and Chris sold out several years ago for health reasons, and the new owners moved up to the turn of the street. The also transitioned from a tea paraphernalia store with tea to a straight tea store.

They still have some loose pu-erh, but not the cakes and etc., partly because the new shop is so much smaller.

--FreeFlier