A Timeline Problem

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

A Timeline Problem

Post by jwhouk »

We know that when we first met Atsali, she told Katherine she was 15 years old.

Later that year, around Christmas time, we find out that Castela is in Kindergarten.

Typically, kids are about five or six years of age at that point. This means that there is a nine year age gap between Atsali and Castela.

We now have Cass at 15. 15 plus nine is 24.

Unless Atsali is having major studying issues at Dragons Wall, she should be graduated by now - possibly even with a master's degree in whatever field she chose (from what we know from flash forwards, she became a writer).

So my question is twofold: what's up with Atsali, and what year exactly is it now, in the strip?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Re: A Timeline Problem

Post by TazManiac »

The recent Atsali pictures on eBay refer to her in a 'Librarian' context, so... muh-bee she be grow'd up now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

That's what so jarring, about time skips: unresolved loose ends. So many questions, so many unknowns...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:That's what so jarring, about time skips: unresolved loose ends. So many questions, so many unknowns...
Much like life...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:That's what so jarring, about time skips: unresolved loose ends. So many questions, so many unknowns...
Much like life...
At least, it's somewhat "expected" of life, unlike a story that you read, where every so often you end up with yet another time skip... how many is that, now? 3? 4?
  • Atsali moving from new Queen Bee to Senior year (comic where it happened, Nadette had coaxed Atsali into doing something in public, via foot rub...) while Castela moved from 6 or 7 to about 10. No news from Atsali's old supporting cast (her retinue in high school). Atsali soon moving to college. New (tea pot) member introduced, along with Atsali's roommate. New job, Atsali more comfortable with her own body image.
  • Castela moving from 10 to 13 -- moving into puberty, rose bushes for hair, possible love triangle, ghost hunting club, with only one actual ghost hunt completed (if you can call it that)
  • Castela moving from 13 to 15 -- "mammalian bumps", love triangle still unresolved (still at the blushing stage... at least, no more rose bushes for hair...)
Did I miss one?

Too many time skips make it hard to keep track of what's going on, when reading a story, if you ask me... Sure, the story is still compelling, but it's also getting annoying to live through, after a while... You get involved, you want to know what happens next, then suddenly you can't as you've moved forward in time and most things are left unsaid!

I'm really starting to wonder if Paul is getting bored with his own story...

When we first shifted to Atsali and Co., we were told that she was the new main character, instead of Monica. Now, it's starting to look like Castela is the main character, yet we never stick around long enough to learn much about her...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I do hope that my ramblings don't come across as complaining for complaining's sake...

Consider this, rather, as the cry of someone who cares about the story, is keeping up with it, and wants to know what happens along the way...
Dacquoise11

Post by Dacquoise11 »

I have been back after years away, and I enjoyed reading the archives and getting caught up, but are we ever going to get an actual story? Like, ever again? Everything feels like half ideas. Drawn out for ever and ever and ever and often dropped with no resolution. Story “arcs” that don’t have much of anything happening, a five minute interaction between characters stretched out over a week. I would have expected to see some more compelling storylines from a comic that has been around so long.
Some day in six inches of
Ashes will be all
That's left of our passionate
minds,
Of all the world created
By our love, its origin,
And passing away. -Marichiko
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dacquoise11 wrote:I have been back after years away, and I enjoyed reading the archives and getting caught up, but are we ever going to get an actual story? Like, ever again? Everything feels like half ideas. Drawn out for ever and ever and ever and often dropped with no resolution. Story “arcs” that don’t have much of anything happening, a five minute interaction between characters stretched out over a week. I would have expected to see some more compelling storylines from a comic that has been around so long.
Last time I spoke with him, Paul said he had plans for something along those lines involving the prophesy naming Tina as one of five winged beings prophesied to do something.

I’m not sure what he’s up to or why it’s taking so long or why he’s doing what he’s doing now.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!