Mid-Week Break 03 2018-06-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Mid-Week Break 03 2018-06-28

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hmmm

Teen Phix. Seen it before.

=============

As i seem to recall, Pix is THE sphinx of riddle fame, way back in Classical days.

Where did teen Phix get what i think is a Fender Precision bass?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Re: Mid-Week Break 03 2018-06-28

Post by jwhouk »

From the source, of course.

What, you didn't know that Leo Fender is actually Lanthian?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:As i seem to recall, Pix is THE sphinx of riddle fame, way back in Classical days.
She said not... she was opposed to the ideas of testing humans with riddles to pick out the demon-possessed ones and then killing them.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/via-a-riddle/

She has not, however, said anything about whether she would possibly smite troublesome demons with a bass guitar. KABONG!!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Is her last name McGraw?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:As i seem to recall, Pix is THE sphinx of riddle fame, way back in Classical days.
She said not... she was opposed to the ideas of testing humans with riddles to pick out the demon-possessed ones and then killing them.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/via-a-riddle]
However, she was around in classical times, wasn't she? - didn't Nudge persuade someone to throw a book at her, which Phix destroyed, which got her exiled to the Library?

Or am i remembering an entirely different story?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:However, she was around in classical times, wasn't she? - didn't Nudge persuade someone to throw a book at her, which Phix destroyed, which got her exiled to the Library?

You remember correctly... see the strips around the one I linked to. Apparently, the day Phix got the book thrown at her, was one of the very few days she was on duty at Thebes (possibly even the first, from what she said).

Phix was rather pissed that Nudge had incited the book-throwing incident, at the expense of the one sphinx who didn't support the practice that Nudge was protesting.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:However, she was around in classical times, wasn't she? - didn't Nudge persuade someone to throw a book at her, which Phix destroyed, which got her exiled to the Library?

You remember correctly... see the strips around the one I linked to. Apparently, the day Phix got the book thrown at her, was one of the very few days she was on duty at Thebes (possibly even the first, from what she said).

Phix was rather pissed that Nudge had incited the book-throwing incident, at the expense of the one sphinx who didn't support the practice that Nudge was protesting.
So, even though she wasn't the riddle sphinx, the Fender bass is still anachronistic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I keep telling you, Leo Fender is Lanthian!
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:I keep telling you, Leo Fender is Lanthian!
Pablo agrees... says it's canon now. :)

Now, we just need some fanfic about the discovery of an ancient Lanthian version of a Mesa/Boogie guitar amplifier. I expect that the Air Force would try to co-opt it to serve as a ballistic-missile midcourse defense system.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:So, even though she wasn't the riddle sphinx, the Fender bass is still anachronistic.
In a meta-universe which includes at least one timeline that has looped repeatedly, and at least one other which runs in the opposite direction, and a demon dimension whose timeline may or may not be entirely parallel to ours but which seems to run at a different rate... just what, precisely, defines an anachronism?
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:So, even though she wasn't the riddle sphinx, the Fender bass is still anachronistic.
In a meta-universe which includes at least one timeline that has looped repeatedly, and at least one other which runs in the opposite direction, and a demon dimension whose timeline may or may not be entirely parallel to ours but which seems to run at a different rate... just what, precisely, defines an anachronism?
Me
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote:In a meta-universe which includes at least one timeline that has looped repeatedly, and at least one other which runs in the opposite direction, and a demon dimension whose timeline may or may not be entirely parallel to ours but which seems to run at a different rate... just what, precisely, defines an anachronism?
This.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote: This.
"That'll do it," said the Goblin King.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote: This.
"That'll do it," said the Goblin King.
Likely he actually played that...