We Have An Answer.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: We Have An Answer.

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:...which would have put gas stations out of business.
And every natural-gas, LP, and propane supplier in the country.

There would shortly thereafter have developed a huge black market for the explosive product known as "flour", as grocery stores were forced to pull it off their shelves, and as most commercial bakeries shut down. Might have been as bad as the Soviet Union during the bad old famine days.

It's funny, how our ancestors got it wrong. There may be four (whatevers) of the Apocalypse, but they failed to properly note that bureaucrats and legislators might well be among them.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Flour, grain dust, sawdust, non dairy creamer, charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter, alcohol, Diet Coke and Mentos, dry ice...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

DIet Coke and Mentos... LOL... Sad but true.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

jwhouk wrote:...which would have put gas stations out of business. . . .
Which wouldn't have mattered, since it wold have outlawed cars too . . . also water heaters, barbecues, running water, electricity, pressure cookers, all flammable liquids and gasses, powdered sugar, model airplanes . . . the list goes on and on.

When I got called up to testify, I told the committee members that every person in that room - every single person - would instantly be subject to arrest because they were in violation . . . I could go into any one of their homes and find everything I needed to blow it up. One of the sponsors was foolish enough to challenge me, and I shot her out of the saddle "I assume you have electricity and running water . . . and that's all I need. . . . It's so easy, houses get blown up every year when it happens by accident . . . there's an entire class of explosions that kill hundreds of people every year in the US when they cause one . . . by accident."

When I was on my way back to my seat after my testimony, the next guy up said "Stick around, I want to talk to you" as we passed.

I grinned . .. I knew instantly what he was, and sure enough, he introduced himself as Sergeant Smith*, <metropolitan> County Bomb Squad . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

"I don't know the preceding witness, but he knows what he's talking about . . . I was going to say pretty much the same thing: that this bill is unconstitutionally broad, and will immediately overturned, and for good reason."

All of the bills were put to a vote right there once testimony was complete, and they all went down in flames, with only the co-sponsors in favor.

Whereupon the sponsors stalked out in a huff.
jwhouk wrote: . . . OP NOTE: I didn't say anything about the gun Kath was holding except that we now know she prefers pump-action stock rifles.
The styling is more like a shotgun than a rifle . . . for one thing, no sights. (Which is a mistake, but a common one.}

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:...which would have put gas stations out of business.

OP NOTE: I didn't say anything about the gun Kath was holding except that we now know she prefers pump-action stock rifles.

Guessing... given Katherine's intelligence and military background (and the profile of the weapon), I would say that is a modified Remington 870 pump in 12 gauge. Certainly if I wanted something in that configuration, THAT is what I would choose...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Works for me.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

jwhouk wrote:DIet Coke and Mentos... LOL... Sad but true.
Vinegar, lemon juice, and baking soda as well!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:...OP NOTE: I didn't say anything about the gun Kath was holding except that we now know she prefers pump-action stock rifles.
Guessing... given Katherine's intelligence and military background (and the profile of the weapon), I would say that is a modified Remington 870 pump in 12 gauge. Certainly if I wanted something in that configuration, THAT is what I would choose...
But it apparently doesn't have the crossbolt safety on the trigger guard.

Gripping hand, the profile and mag tube attachment aren't right for a Mossie . . .

Maybe an Ithaca 37 Defender? That looks closer . . .

. . .

Well! Katherine is a lady of discerning tastes . . . that appears to be a solid-frame WInchester Model 12.

--FreeFlier
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Remington Alley-sweeper.

Other than that...Day-umm.... Lethality and carnality in the perfect package.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

FreeFlier wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:...OP NOTE: I didn't say anything about the gun Kath was holding except that we now know she prefers pump-action stock rifles.
But it apparently doesn't have the crossbolt safety on the trigger guard.

Gripping hand, the profile and mag tube attachment aren't right for a Mossie . . .

Maybe an Ithaca 37 Defender? That looks closer . . .

. . .

Well! Katherine is a lady of discerning tastes . . . that appears to be a solid-frame WInchester Model 12.

--FreeFlier
… well damn! I believe you're right! Not seen one of those in a while...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

This was the same session where they tried to outlaw possession or sale any form of military surplus and any form of camouflage clothing, and of "any materials which could be used to cause an explosion".
On some forum I'm on, there's a guy who testified before the legislative committee on that bill - he started by telling them that he could go into the home of any of the committee members and cause an explosion using only the stuff he found there.

The next witness before the committee was from the State Patrol bomb squad, and began with "I don't know who that last witness is, but he knows what he's talking about."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm posting this here so it car be referred to later:

-----

Hiroshi sat nervously on the couch of the Gilchrist home. With a loud WHUMP and a bang, the folding door from the kitchen opened, and out stepped Castela's mother.

"Mister Kitahara," she said cooly. "I am Katherine Gilchrist, Castela's mother. I have studied up on your Dossier." At this, she raised her left hand, where she held a rather thick binder. She seemed to be intentionally hiding something behind her back.

"You appear to be a kind and caring young man, BUT," she emphasized, "You do have that fae background. And there has been a note that you have a tendency to not notice the emotional state of others towards you."

"If you are going to continue to date my daughter, you will need to overcome that. If needed, I can refer you to someone who has similar issues - who just so happens to be my oldest daughter."

She looked at him intently.

"However, if you do NOT treat my daughter well..."

She swung her other arm around, revealing a pump-action shotgun. She quickly held the stock in one hand, and in one motion pumped the action to make it certain that the shotgun was live.

Which it isn't, Katherine thought to herself, but HE doesn't need to know that.

"...that is what this is for."

A moment passed. Two. Three.

"Any questions?"

Hiroshi shook his head furiously.

"I didn't think so." She turned and walked back into the kitchen, looking at him over her shoulder briefly, before walking out of view.