More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

teenangel.png
teenangel.png (213.36 KiB) Viewed 8551 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan

Yeah - i got that one.

But Emily is my current avatar...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I get it, it was just an ink-blot, free-association kinda thing...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I need to break down and go through the trouble of getting/making an avatar to use.

Oh! I forgot to mention, I signed up for benefits last Tuesday, and it looks as if I'll only be having a little under $20 taken out every week. Now, as soon as my brother and I finish getting that rifle built for our dad, I can go about building a new computer and getting all that video recording/editing equipment and start that damn project.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Alkarii wrote:I need to break down and go through the trouble of getting/making an avatar to use.
I'd suggest a toilet seat, but... :D
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:
Alkarii wrote:I need to break down and go through the trouble of getting/making an avatar to use.
You mean that isn't what yours is?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
You mean that isn't what yours is?
Now, now, I'll have nun of that.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It seems that our first major storm of the so-called "monsoon season" is due to hit us this weekend, in the form of... a hurricane making landfall in the Gulf of Mexico.

It will likely drench us Friday and Saturday, but the strangest thing about all this is the name of the hurricane (which appears to be just a Tropical Storm right now) approaching from the south Pacific.

Tropical Storm Bud.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

jwhouk wrote:It seems that our first major storm of the so-called "monsoon season" is due to hit us this weekend, in the form of... a hurricane making landfall in the Gulf of Mexico.
Doesn't a hurricane making landfall traditionally involve some, you know, land? :ugeek:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Baja Mexico Sur. That little piece of Mexico that sticks out away from the mainland. It's coming up the western coast of Mexico.
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:Baja Mexico Sur. That little piece of Mexico that sticks out away from the mainland. It's coming up the western coast of Mexico.
That would be the Gulf of California, no?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Baja Mexico Sur. That little piece of Mexico that sticks out away from the mainland. It's coming up the western coast of Mexico.
That would be the Gulf of California, no?
Hey, I just moved to this state in January...
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Speaking of the actual Gulf of Mexico and tropical storms, there's some TD over the Yucatan Peninsula right now. Not really expected to form up into anything serious, but should dump rain all over the coast.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, today did not really go as I'd planned.

I'd gone up to my brother's house with my AR-10 and most of my shooting equipment, with the expectation that we would either go to the mountain or at least to the rifle range behind the air force base. But, we'd both forgotten that his oldest sister in law was coming in from Oklahoma, so instead I'd stayed over for a cookout.

So, I figured I'd use my bore sight to zero my optics, but the first attempt was a bust, because I'd left the rifle inside, which caused the lenses to fog, and I'd left the lens cloth at home. Once the lenses warmed up and the fog cleared, I went to try again. Right after I dropped the bore sight into the chamber, I'm thinking to myself "I should probably just ride it forward with the charging handle," but NOPE, I hit the bolt release (which I had also done just before discovering the fogged lenses), and for some reason I couldn't find the red dot from the bore sight...

So it's broken, which means I either shell out enough for two boxes of the cheap ammo for that rifle to get a new one, or find some time on a day off to go up to the mountain and do it the old fashioned way, and spend some ammo. But at least then I'd get to finally shoot the rifle, I guess.

However, I'll be taking home some of the left over ribs, and I got the muzzle break for dad's rifle while also picking up the stripped upper for the AR-15 I'm building for myself as well. So today isn't totally written off as a waste. What sucks is that I have more mandatory overtime tomorrow night.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

How long was it in storage? I presume you haven't had the joy of finding a mud dauber or other type insect that just loves to clog bores with a nest!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Actually, I keep my rifles in rifle bags in my bedroom. Also, the bore sight's beam is supposed to turn on the moment I put the batteries in it, and it was working up until I hit the bolt release, so I'm guessing the bolt had to have broken something inside the bore sight, because now it doesn't turn on at all.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Actually, I keep my rifles in rifle bags in my bedroom. Also, the bore sight's beam is supposed to turn on the moment I put the batteries in it, and it was working up until I hit the bolt release, so I'm guessing the bolt had to have broken something inside the bore sight, because now it doesn't turn on at all.
Laser diodes are tiny and they can be fragile. The instructions for the Sightmark chamber boresight say "Once the laser is activated, carefully place the boresight into the chamber of the rifle and close the bolt
slowly until it fits snugly. It is not necessary to have the bolt closed or for the entire boresight body to be
completely in the chamber for it to work properly." They also say "Avoid strong bumps, blows or impacts to the device."

So, yeah, I'm afraid that releasing the bolt might have shocked the diode enough to crack it.

There's another type of laser boresight which fits into the muzzle of the rifle... they seem to have a diameter adjustment and so can be used with many calibers. More expensive than the chamber boresights, I think, but maybe a better value in the long run... and since they don't need to be chambered, impact from the bolt is a non-issue.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:There's another type of laser boresight which fits into the muzzle of the rifle... they seem to have a diameter adjustment and so can be used with many calibers. More expensive than the chamber boresights, I think, but maybe a better value in the long run... and since they don't need to be chambered, impact from the bolt is a non-issue.
For some reason, I just memory flashed on the old M-16 3 prong flash suppressors which functioned quite well as a beer bottle opener, but warped the barrel. Try centering your aim with a muzzle boresight and that problem!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'll have to shop around for them online, then. All I seem to be finding are chamber bore sights, and I'd completely forgotten about the instructions for my bore sight, and I didn't know I needed need the bolt forward for the sight to remain in place. Of course, it could also have been partly because I thought it might be a pain to extract it (dunno why, as the bore sight would not have any reason to expand into the chamber).