Schtupid Email Scams

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, I started digging into the raw email and headers and stuff, but I ended up deleting the whole thing. Hot button false-flag to get me to download a .PNG from the new pop-up web site... *insert explicative here*
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote:Hey, just got a new one, recently (only saw it today...)

UNITED NATIONS / WORLD BANK COMPENSATION UNIT. Our Ref: U.N/WBO/042SWISS/2010.
Funny, I don't recall getting scammed in the past
<political> Your taxes help support the UN, therefore you've been scammed. </political>

(Of course, this scamster probably has no more connection to the UN than you do.)
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Well, that stirs up some unpleasant memories.

I think having the UN is probably better than not having it (the first half of the 20th century was pretty horrific). But back in the 90s, the little outpost of the publishing gulag where I was doing time got a job composing UN transcripts. Many in French. I did comparison proofreading with double-keyboarded files ahead of composition. I barely understood European punctuation styles in English, much less French.

The bosses thought they'd boarded the gravy train for sure, because it was a bigger pipeline of crap than diet books and trashy romances combined. But it was bad work, and it didn't last long.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Here's a new one...

Compensation From Imf
Fraud monitoring Unit

Good day Scam Victims

Your email is among of the 326 scam Victims listed to be compensated by World Bank/IMF with the total value of $600,000.00 USD.

Send your Name:, Address:, mobile number immediately to the email below.

Note that some people have tried to claim your money saying that you authorized him, we have sent you a notifications without any response these is the 3rd one if you don't respond that means you truely sent Mr Nune Ameri that wanted to claim your $600,000.00

Your urget response is needed for immediate action .

Email: edward... munged ...tmail.com

Awaiting your response,

Best Regards,
Edward Nelson.
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

Not long ago, I received something from a dying breed - the rare PHONE CALL SCAM.

Yes, those still exist! Someone called me and informed me he was the manager at "my bank" (he didn't even state which one) and said that there had been scams happening and he needed my banking information so he could verify if I had been affected. It was blindingly obvious this was a scam, but a huge smile came onto my face. I was going to take this chucklehead for a ride.

"Oh wow, thank you so much for calling me! Good thing you warned me, I wouldn't want to get taken in by any sort of scam." (at this point, I can hear in his voice that he thinks he has me hooked. Little does he know that the minnow he thinks is on the line is actually a half-ton marlin that will flip his dingy over and ram him with his spear nose. I am going to have FUN with this unsuspecting fool) "But you know... I don't feel comfortable giving out my information over the phone like this. Tell you what, I'll come right over. Who should I ask for when I get there?"

"Oh you don't need to bother yourself like that! We can easily do this over the phone!" (I can sense that he's getting nervous, I'm clearly leading him offscript and he has to improvise rather than perform a preset routine. Too bad this freeskate is about to lead him over to the quarter-inch thick section of the frozen lake)

"I'm actually really close to you guys. I mean, hilariously close. If you go to Janet's desk near the front window and look up at the red brick wall at the third floor window on the left side, you'll see me waving to you!"

He hung up at this point and never called back. I wonder why that is! ;)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Drakkenmensch wrote:"I'm actually really close to you guys. I mean, hilariously close. If you go to Janet's desk near the front window and look up at the red brick wall at the third floor window on the left side, you'll see me waving to you!"

He hung up at this point and never called back. I wonder why that is! ;)
Good one! I would have loved to see his face...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Got two of them in a row. Made me laugh:

Email from '[i][b][color=#FF0000]Fedex Express[/color][/b][/i]' wrote:[Fedex Logo]
Dear Client,
Unfortunately we were not able to deliver postal package you sent in time because the recipient's address is not correct. Please reply us with the correct shipping address
[Link to follow to correct your address details]
so, let's see:
  • I haven't placed any order with anyone recently
  • The sender is "Fedex Express", rather than either "Fedex" or "Federal Express"
  • Tracking numbers (one per email) are mentioned in the email subject, but not the body
  • Tracking numbers (one per email) are B.S., when used on actual Fedex web site to track a shipment (just in case I had "forgotten" ordering something, or that someone was surprising me with sending me soemthing...) - no surprise here
  • I am genre savvy enough to not follow a link on an unrequested shipping error email...
Yep, I think those are scams...

Although I have to admit, I am curious as to where that link would lead...

Right clicking on it, I get the following when copying email address:
Wow! Isn't that something: hiding under the label "Fedex", any email you wrote, with your "updated" mailing info" would be sent to a variety of people who have nothing to do with Fedex. I wonder if those are real people, who then would be spammed *by you*, or nefarious people who would somehow profit from having your address...

I wonder how many people fall for such a scam...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Hello! I am <name here> from <your bank> contacting you about irrregularitiess with your cr4dit scaror.

As you knwe, your crafot skror is an importenet part of your finaancal experienac and can effect yuur future purchass. Please respond promptly to this messge with yoour proper account numbor, addres, and socal securety nombor so we can revolve these issues.n Failures to reply may cause edlays in proesssinc future purchazs and may interrupt autometic payments.

Thank you for your underetsanding.

Regards,
<name here>
<your bank>
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Please tell me that's a sarcastic post, and not actual text from an email scam...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

It was from "Internatienal Bank and Trus" with a Brazillian address.

I love revolving issues!

My Deviant Art scribbles
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

You'd think that one would invest in hiring a good proofreader, before trying something like that... And would take the time to fill in the blanks... :lol:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

There was another one that promised to raise my "cadet scare".

Damn You Autocorrect!

My Deviant Art scribbles
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

My parents got a robo call that actually left a message yesterday. Apparently the license for their computer has expired and they need to call a certain phone number. :roll:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

shadowinthelight wrote:My parents got a robo call that actually left a message yesterday. Apparently the license for their computer has expired and they need to call a certain phone number. :roll:
Oooh, I got that one too!

"Automated call from your computer security that your computer license has expired and your Windows security has breached please call Windows Security Department as soon as possible on toll free 1855-210-3290. Otherwise your Microsoft Windows Services will be stopped and you will not able to use your computer. Please call Urgent Tax Window Security Department on toll free 1-855-210-3290."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:My parents got a robo call that actually left a message yesterday. Apparently the license for their computer has expired and they need to call a certain phone number. :roll:
Oooh, I got that one too!

"Automated call from your computer security that your computer license has expired and your Windows security has breached please call Windows Security Department as soon as possible on toll free 1855-210-3290. Otherwise your Microsoft Windows Services will be stopped and you will not able to use your computer. Please call Urgent Tax Window Security Department on toll free 1-855-210-3290."
What are you waiting for??? Call them, already!!! :P
Who knows, what kind of damage can happen to your computer, while you wait around...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

And don't forget to use Best Buy gift cards to pay the fee! It's all numbers anyway...

My Deviant Art scribbles
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=185s&v=_QdPW8JrYzQ

Not sure anyone linked this video, but it's apropos. And funny.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I finally got one of those automated calls (lazy scammers, can't even bother to dial you directly...), about "a (or the, I forget) software they installed on my computer a year ago... they have been getting red flags from it...BLAH BLAH BLAH Call such and such number BLAH BLAH BLAH..."

I guess that's one way to filter out the simpletons: only those gullible enough to call back are worth trying to scam, I guess... (What? You mean, you don't even remember whether someone installed something on your computer a year ago or not? Man, I don't know whether to feel sorry for you, or to tell you that deserve everything that's coming to you...)

I suppose it saves them from wasting their time with knowledgeable people who will amuse themselves at the scammer's expense...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Just had a good one.

I have a Land-Rover advertised for sale on CL here in Boston. Got a call from North Carolina offering to 'broker' the sale for me.

I laughed, informed the slimedog that I've sold more cars than he's had hot dinners, and hung up. A few keystrokes got the number blocked...done

I am usually polite to telemarketers, but this bottom feeder annoyed me.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'm not familiar with the kind of scam you imply he was trying to do...

Oh, and thank you, you just reminded me to block that phone number from calling me again.