Dead Calm 2018-05-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Dead Calm 2018-05-16

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Re: Dead Calm 2018-05-16

Post by eee »

Boom today, AND Boom tomorrow!

And that should prove to Luci that Castela was NOT exaggerating, her destructiveness.

I wonder if Luci is going to take the scientific approach to this. Pickle just drew an enormous amount of energy out of ... somewhere ... and directed it with precision and control. If it were me, I'd be trying to figure that out. What she's going to do is anybody's guess. Hopefully she'll still be there when Castela turns around, and not hot-footing it down the canyon in fear.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

You have to know there's a lot of power behind that blast, for Castela to anchor herself with vines from her legs before blasting away.

Luci is in for a treat...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:You have to know there's a lot of power behind that blast, for Castela to anchor herself with vines from her legs before blasting away.

Seeing the word "Censored" burned into the cliff, in letters fifty feet high?
eee wrote:Hopefully she'll still be there when Castela turns around, and not hot-footing it down the canyon in fear.
I'm reminded of a wonderful tale from a fascinating book called "Ignition", about the development of rocket fuels. There was a chemical spill involving a huge tank of chlorine trifluoride, a chemical so corrosive that it will (quite literally) cause sand and asbestos to instantly catch fire. The author said that there were, quite remarkably, no deaths as the result of the spill, and only one casualty. The man who had been steadying the tank when it split open suffered a heart attack while he was running away... stopping him at about the time he reached Mach 2.
Last edited by Dave on Wed May 16, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Just a simple demonstration with no analogues for cortisol or adrenaline effecting Castel. Nothing more emotional than throwing a ball. Shrapnel from the blast hit the barrier faster than the speed of sound. If Luci hadn't been wearing the Rad suit she would be dying from radiation poisoning like Shelly cycle 0 in the Time Forest. This is why Castel is getting anger management training from a Zen Master.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:Seeing the word "Censored" burned into the cliff, in letters fifty feet high?
“We apologise for the inconvenience.”

Paging Marvin - Marvin to the White Courtesy Telephone please...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

And-and, she was, like, "pew-pew-pew"! You saw that, right?!
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I have two questions. First i wonder if she develops some kind of body armor/shell in combat mode to withstand the blowback and shrapnel? Secondly, i wonder what that little black dress is made of that lets it withstand the force its being exposed to? I mean whose her tailor, Edna Mode?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

oldmanmickey wrote:I have two questions. First i wonder if she develops some kind of body armor/shell in combat mode to withstand the blowback and shrapnel? Secondly, i wonder what that little black dress is made of that lets it withstand the force its being exposed to? I mean whose her tailor, Edna Mode?
I'm suspecting some sort of force field. Or that she's not actually wearing anything, she's figured out, ala Nadette and her sister, how to shape her body to make it look like she's wearing clothes and shoes but really isn't. That would explain how her tennis shoes managed to survive the 'jump from the cliff, land below so hard the rock shatters' move a few strips ago.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

eee wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:I have two questions. First i wonder if she develops some kind of body armor/shell in combat mode to withstand the blowback and shrapnel? Secondly, i wonder what that little black dress is made of that lets it withstand the force its being exposed to? I mean whose her tailor, Edna Mode?
I'm suspecting some sort of force field. Or that she's not actually wearing anything, she's figured out, ala Nadette and her sister, how to shape her body to make it look like she's wearing clothes and shoes but really isn't. That would explain how her tennis shoes managed to survive the 'jump from the cliff, land below so hard the rock shatters' move a few strips ago.
Could also just be advanced materials like carbon nanotubes, or magically enhanced.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

GlytchMeister wrote:
eee wrote:
Could also just be advanced materials like carbon nanotubes, or magically enhanced.
Or magically enhanced nanotubes, now there is the ticket.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Storel

Post by Storel »

Not quite "Horrendous Space Kablooie" level, but she's getting there...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Well, maybe now the cliff face is lower and Luci will have an easier time getting back out of the canyon. . .
Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:You have to know there's a lot of power behind that blast, for Castela to anchor herself with vines from her legs before blasting away.

Seeing the word "Censored" burned into the cliff, in letters fifty feet high?
Or the blast will open a breach in the canyon wall into some subterranean pit, from which prehistoric creatures shall crawl out and terrorise the surface world!!!
Fabric can actually be much more resilient to blast damage than you would think. Much more so than the squishy human person who may be wearing it. Which is why you'll sometimes have the person splattered across the landscape while the clothes, though messy, are more-or-less intact.
eee

Post by eee »

I would have given Castela a whole shiny new nickle if, before the Big Boom, she'd started with "Darkness beyond twilight, more crimson than the blood that flows..."
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Magically enhanced nanotubetops, available at Paramart.