Figured Out As Well 2018-04-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ChattaStarhawk

Figured Out As Well 2018-04-05

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Opus the Poet

Re: Figured Out As Well 2018-04-05

Post by Opus the Poet »

Ninja'd by seconds. I wonder what "Other Daylla" figured out? And why was "This Daylla" solid and not a ghost in proximity to whatever it was?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:Ninja'd by seconds. I wonder what "Other Daylla" figured out? And why was "This Daylla" solid and not a ghost in proximity to whatever it was?
I have one thing to say:

It is NOT Friday.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Ninja'd by seconds. I wonder what "Other Daylla" figured out? And why was "This Daylla" solid and not a ghost in proximity to whatever it was?
I have one thing to say:

It is NOT Friday.
That doesn't mean we will not left hanging 'til Monday depending on what gets posted tomorrow.
Dave

Post by Dave »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:That doesn't mean we will not left hanging 'til Monday depending on what gets posted tomorrow.
Or until April 16th, if Pablo decided that he needs to conserve his manual dexterity for doing his taxes... :(

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Have we seen any mention of what Daylla had been thinking was in that room? Because I don't have a clue.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

This is a great setup tis true but i do think when its all said and done we are gonna look back and see numerous hints were dropped that no one noticed or at lest linked together. I wonder if its a dream or such from the eldritch horror teacher.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

Daylla. When you tell someone not to open a door, you do not then run into them so hard you both go THROUGH the door and wind up on the other side. That's counterproductive.

Unless Dustin is tougher than he looks, I assume between being made a battering ram and then a landing pad by Daylla, he's out for the count...
Alkarii wrote:Have we seen any mention of what Daylla had been thinking was in that room? Because I don't have a clue.
We haven't seen anything in her thought or speech balloons that would clue us in. This is kind of like the old "Match wits with the matchless Ellery Queen" moments, when you have all the clues Ellery does and you're supposed to figure out whodunnit along with him. What you don't have is all the esoteric knowledge Ellery's got that enables him to make connections you can't. But let's consider the clues.

1) They're not in the room where Earth Two Daylla apparently got vaporized, they're in the room below that. And Earth One Daylla became solid as she approached that room. So whatever's there affects the area around it regardless of barriers.

2) Both Dayllas figured this out, but no one else has. That suggests this is something metallic life forms understand that organic ones don't. Although Daylla Two apparently didn't think it was dangerous, or she wouldn't have rushed in.

3) The room is illuminated. Either the lights are on, or whatever it is, glows. Something electrical in nature?

4) Daylla One hasn't gone up in a flash of light yet. Either whatever it is needs time to take effect, or that she's on Dustin and hence not fully in touch with the ground is protecting her.

5) Whatever this is, is responsible for linking two alternative universes to the point things bleed over from one to the other. So it's got considerable power. If it were drawing that from the school, you'd think they'd notice.

I think that's it. We'll have to wait until tomorrow, or later if there's a scene change or another shoulder rest break, to find out what's going on.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I'm thinking that this Daylla hasn't set foot in the room yet. (Hand, yes. Knee, yes. Foot, quite possibly not.)
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote: 3) The room is illuminated. Either the lights are on, or whatever it is, glows. Something electrical in nature?
It looks to me as if something is being reflected from her left eye. The details are fuzzy and limited, but it could be some sort of glowing electrical discharge or vortex or unstable dimensional wormhole.

Or it could be a phosphorescent space squid (irritable because it's out of water, and hence very dangerous).
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Just because only Daylla and her alternate universe counterpart figured it out doesn't necessarily mean that only they could have figured it out so quickly. It could just be something both versions of her had read about in the past. Of course, that also doesn't mean you couldn't have guessed it right on the nose, either.
eee

Post by eee »

Alkarii wrote:Just because only Daylla and her alternate universe counterpart figured it out doesn't necessarily mean that only they could have figured it out so quickly. It could just be something both versions of her had read about in the past. Of course, that also doesn't mean you couldn't have guessed it right on the nose, either.
It occurs to me... this might be whatever created the Dayllas and their mothers. Living liquid metal isn't exactly normal, I doubt they came about naturally. The Dayllas might have figured out what it was because it was having an effect on them - becoming solid, seeing ghosts - when nothing else normally would. And Daylla Two approached incautiously because she didn't expect 'Dad' would zap her.

The thing is, if this is so, I don't see where we go from here...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, obviously we go to a steel mill and drop the bad guy into some molten steel, like they did in Terminator 2.
Last edited by Alkarii on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

eee wrote:It occurs to me... this might be whatever created the Dayllas and their mothers. Living liquid metal isn't exactly normal, I doubt they came about naturally.
Oh, I'm sure it happened in the paranormal manner.

(deposits a copy of Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-Defense in the pun jar)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

eee wrote:It occurs to me... this might be whatever created the Dayllas and their mothers. Living liquid metal isn't exactly normal, I doubt they came about naturally.
They're apparently the result of evolution in a lineage of rock-based critters. Daylla and her mother are the first to be all metal.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Warrl wrote:
Oh, I'm sure it happened in the paranormal manner.

(deposits a copy of Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-Defense in the pun jar)
Well, doing it in the natural manner would be a bit uncomfortable for any "normal" guy willing to try it.