The Keys 2018-04-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

The Keys 2018-04-03

Post by lake_wrangler »

Even as Dustin is transparent in his declaration of his actions, neither one is transparent, now...
jwhouk

Re: The Keys 2018-04-03

Post by jwhouk »

Oooh, Erza is gonna be maaaaddd....
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

Yes, Daylla appears to be becoming more 'solid'. She also appears to be following Dustin where-ever he's going.

Could the Library be why she's 'there'? It is in another dimension, it has teleport powers, it's been shown to be sentient and extremely manipulative... If it wanted whatever mystery there is in the school solved, and figured Dustin was going to go the way of his Daylla if he tried solving this solo, it MIGHT have reached into an alternative universe - assuming it sees universes as alternative, and not as a multiverse - and pulled a different Daylla into the mix...
Dave

Post by Dave »

He hid out while the school building was locked around him... and he's kiped the keys to the whole place...

Ye gods... :roll: ... this is definitely sounding like a flashback to the days of my misspent youth...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

He does have a point about the Library not stopping him. Tis a pity though the rest of the Scoobies arnt along for the ride. Seeing 2 different versions of each would be quite interesting for me.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:... and he's kiped the keys to the whole place...
("Kiped"- there's a word I've not heard in a long while. Probably was long time ago in California where I first heard it.)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Hansontoons wrote:
("Kiped"- there's a word I've not heard in a long while. Probably was long time ago in California where I first heard it.)
And it doesn't travel well. In my lexicon it means taking a nap (or having a kip.....which has notting to do with kippers unless you have VERY strange tastes in sleepwear).
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Just Old Al wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
And it doesn't travel well. In my lexicon it means taking a nap (or having a kip.....which has notting to do with kippers unless you have VERY strange tastes in sleepwear).
I always heard it as meaning stolen . . .

--FreeFlier
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

FreeFlier wrote: I always heard it as meaning stolen . . .

--FreeFlier
English English as opposed to American English. Rather like knocking someone up - a very different meaning.

"Knock me up in the morning" has a COMPLETELY different meaning when it means "knock on my door" and not...well, you know.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hansontoons wrote:
Ditto - can't definitely recall hearing it since the 70s...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Just Old Al wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
In my experience, that's spelt "kipped" ... and "kiped" is pronounced like "kited" {like a check}.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Just Old Al wrote:
FreeFlier wrote: I always heard it as meaning stolen . . .

--FreeFlier
English English as opposed to American English. Rather like knocking someone up - a very different meaning.

"Knock me up in the morning" has a COMPLETELY different meaning when it means "knock on my door" and not...well, you know.
Yup.

Raymond Chandler was UK educated, even though he was USAian.

His phrase {from his critical essay The Simple Art of Murder}
Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid.
is often quoted - or just the "mean streets" part of it is - by people who don't properly catch the UKian usage.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:And it doesn't travel well. In my lexicon it means taking a nap (or having a kip.....which has notting to do with kippers unless you have VERY strange tastes in sleepwear).
"Luca Brasi kips with the kippers" perhaps? if I'm herring you properly?

(It appears that "kipe" is probably derived from the Old English "kip" verb meaning "to take hold of or snatch" which came from the Norse "kippa" having a similar meaning. Apparently the meaning of "kip" in English usage has drifted or been replaced over the centuries. Maybe via "kip a short nap" as in "steal forty winks"?)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Have you ever heard of Kipling?"
"I don't know, you naughty boy, I've never kippled!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:"Have you ever heard of Kipling?"
https://www.quotes.net/mquote/1125387
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:"Have you ever heard of Kipling?"
The way i heard it was:

"Do you enjoy Kipling?"

"I don't know - I've never kippled."
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
Ditto - can't definitely recall hearing it since the 70s...
I heard it among my cohorts as a boy in Northern Greater Appalachia, late 60s to early 70s. Not sure I've heard it since. And I don't think I've ever seen it written before. I'd have guessed "kype."
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote:I'd have guessed "kype."
That seems to be a recognized alternative, although I've personally always seen/used it as "kipe". Since it's an "informal" usage in American English, and apparently used mostly by kids, the spelling of it is probably less standardized.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
Typeminer wrote:I'd have guessed "kype."
That seems to be a recognized alternative, although I've personally always seen/used it as "kipe". Since it's an "informal" usage in American English, and apparently used mostly by kids, the spelling of it is probably less standardized.
"Kype" is the way I always figured it was spelled. I was a kid in the LA area '65-'71.

And I chuckle at the fact my musing diverted the discussion from the daily episode to a conversation about an obscure (?) word in the English language.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Hansontoons wrote: And I chuckle at the fact my musing diverted the discussion from the daily episode to a conversation about an obscure (?) word in the English language.
And this is different from any other day? :)