More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

Atomic wrote:Gun control? Absolutely! If you carry a weapon, you should know how to use it safely and effectively, and when not to. Otherwise, it's just a decoration.
May I quote this on Facebook? I got family who would get a chuckle out of this one.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

That said, it isn't just Armament Safety that should be addressed; Basic & Intermediate First Aid (helpful if for no other reason than 'First Do No Harm')
The high school I went to, at the time, required driver education to graduate (with medical exemptions available). There was a catch to it though. It was a half-semester course. There were exactly two half-semester courses offered. The other one was first aid.

(They also had some stupider requirements. Technically, nobody in my class completed all the requirements for graduation. We were required to take one or another of three specific history classes during our junior or senior year, and guess what classes weren't offered those two years.)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:EGS:NP?
Yeah.

Here's the original strip:

Located here
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Alkarii wrote:
Atomic wrote:Gun control? Absolutely! If you carry a weapon, you should know how to use it safely and effectively, and when not to. Otherwise, it's just a decoration.
May I quote this on Facebook? I got family who would get a chuckle out of this one.
Absolutely! As for having a gun in the first place, remember:
  • Boots don't make you a general,
    a hat don't make you a cowboy,
    and a gun don't make you a man.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Hats don't make you a cowboy? Darn! And I thought I had it made... :roll:
:lol:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Atomic wrote:
Alkarii wrote:
Absolutely! As for having a gun in the first place, remember:
  • Boots don't make you a general,
    a hat don't make you a cowboy,
    and a gun don't make you a man.
Well, yeah, I knew that. There's plenty of women who own and use guns. I even saw a video with a well dressed woman putting on lipstick from her purse, then she pulls out several guns from all over her body. She then says something about purses being for lipstick...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

lake_wrangler wrote:Hats don't make you a cowboy? Darn! And I thought I had it made... :roll:
Why would I think a fedora made me a cowboy? :ugeek:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Typeminer wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Hats don't make you a cowboy? Darn! And I thought I had it made... :roll:
It wouldn't make you Sam Spade, either.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Typeminer wrote:
It wouldn't make you Sam Spade, either.
Oh, but one can make you a natty beer drinker, if only in one's mind's eye...
IMG_2880 copy.jpg
IMG_2880 copy.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

That hat wouldn't be too bad on a Cowboy, might need just a little more brim to it...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Hansontoons wrote:Oh, but one can make you a natty beer drinker, if only in one's mind's eye...
Started wearing fedoras at about 20. Never turned down a Natty, but we drank a lot more Schaefer and Piels in those days. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Typeminer wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:Oh, but one can make you a natty beer drinker, if only in one's mind's eye...
Started wearing fedoras at about 20. Never turned down a Natty, but we drank a lot more Schaefer and Piels in those days. :mrgreen:
Ugh. Not that "natty", the stuff consumed when your condition is thermally active, thirsty, and regular water just doesn't have enough flavor. :)

At the point in time, space, and reality the photo was taken, I was enjoying something from the tap last November at Haymarket Pub in Chicago after attending Windycon- where I had the fortune to meet Pablo and spend some hang time with the one-and-only GlytchMeister. The weather was chilly at the time and I was glad to have the head cover.
AnotherFairportfan

I had a canvas fedora that i wore to music festivals. Wearing it out in the sun on hot days at New Orleans Jazz Fest and the like, sweating in it, gave it Character - when i was living in Nashville for a while i went to a Jason & the Scorchers show wearing it, and someone in the crowd offered me fifty bucks for it.

I declined to sell; he told me that he ran a hat shop, and it was such a miice hat that if it ever needed blocking to bring it in and he'd do it for free.

I used to have a photo of myself standing with one foot in each hemisphere (on the zero longitude line in back of the Royal Observatory) - that got lost sometime in the past ... and The Hat got lost in a move several years ago.

Dammit.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm convinced that people in my family are willfully stupid. People can't remember when I work, even though my schedule is on the back door. Even when they do, they keep calling me during the day, knowing I work at night, and even when they know what nights I work.

Thankfully, I had trouble staying wake all night, and only woke up four hours earlier than I expected.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

It's been in my list for a while, but I am just now watching the movie 2012 for the first time...

Amusing at times (really, some of the escape scenes were rather implausible), some touching moments, and some touching moments (oh, the feels!)

As far as action flicks go, I guess it's not bad... Your typical mix of interactions between selfish and selfless people, whose actions all affect others.

And yes, DEFINITELY some implausible down-to-the-last-minute escape stuff...

Good thing Monica and Co. stopped it all from happening, right? ;)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Following the feels and the ever-so-close calls of 2012, I had myself a good laugh by watching Minions. I had seen some poor reviews for that movie... too many plot lines, doesn't know where it's headed, Penguins of Madagascar in hyperdrive (or something to that effect)...

But really, it was just a fun, silly movie. I also found it amusing to hear the minions talk. It used to be gibberish, with some few real words added in (including Ba-na-na...) Now, it still included some gibberish, but now also included actual and/or deformed French (c'est par là - it's that way) Spanish (porque, par - should have been 'para' - me - for me), along with a few English words here and there.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

So, essentially, to English, it looks like what English looks like to other languages.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:So, essentially, to English, it looks like what English looks like to other languages.
If you mean by that any Anglophone who has not spent any time near any other language, or heard anything other than English all their life, then perhaps. I wouldn't know. I just thought it was amusing, to try to recognize what they were saying, as best as I could.

Meanwhile, here's a chart for freelance designers to help them in the decision process of accepting a job or not:

http://shouldiworkforfree.com/
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I. AM. IMPRESSED!

Here's the guy's website, as found in the comments.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I found out this morning that virtually every depiction of suppressors that I'd seen is wildly inaccurate. An ambulance siren is typically about 120dB, and OSHA requires hearing protection in work environments where the noise level reaches 140dB or louder.

Suppressed rifles can typically reach 130dB or so.